PDA

View Full Version : Lock Server Characters?

Khondar
October 3rd, 2008, 17:12
Hi,

is it possible to lock the server characters? As DM, I would like to administer all character sheets of the players in my group. As such, I am sending them their sheets as PDF prior to any session, and would also like to create and update them in FantasyGrounds.

Currently, any player can change any element of the FG-Character sheet. Is is possible to LOCK this? (i.e. that only I can change the sheets?) :bandit:

Thanks for any suggestions!

- Khondar

Griogre
October 3rd, 2008, 18:44
It is not possible to lock the character sheets without making a new ruleset. If you are willing to do that is should be possible if a bit tedious. You would simply change every changeable area to only be changeable by the Host. Honestly I think you would save yourself some time if you just used the PDFs you have of the characters as “official” character sheets and ignore the ones on the server. Before I got FG I played with a minimal app that didn't have character sheets. I use to use print outs or online character sheets.

FG simulates the table in a face to face game. In a game like that your players can change their character sheets too if they want.

Khondar
October 3rd, 2008, 20:48
True, and this is how we used the software thus far. I just thought it would be a nice feature and hoped there would be a simple trick to do it.

PDF it will be then :-)

Thanks,
Khondar

Sorontar
October 3rd, 2008, 21:11
True, and this is how we used the software thus far. I just thought it would be a nice feature and hoped there would be a simple trick to do it.

PDF it will be then :-)

Thanks,
Khondar

There's a nice function on www.myth-weavers.com where you can allow the player to edit the character in between sessions (handy for levelling up so they can have it done before they log on and approved by the DM). Basically you create the group as your characters and allow the player access to their character only, you can then see all edits and if needs be rollback to a previous version.

Sigurd
October 4th, 2008, 00:58
Why don't you just take screenshots and a backup of the characters at some official point. Compare the screenshots to the game server after a few sessions and discuss any differences. If you feel you have to wave the big DM stick revert to the saved characters.

Honestly the online access to the character sheet and all the rolls it makes easier is a big thing to give up.

Sigurd

Foen
October 4th, 2008, 06:56
I don't think locking a character sheet is difficult in a custom ruleset, but locking it selectively (for example everything except the 'notes' page) would be tough.

I'll see if I can add it to the Foundation ruleset.

Stuart

Foen
October 5th, 2008, 21:29
OK, it is now implemented as an extension to the Foundation ruleset, take a look here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9087).

That doesn't make it available in all rulesets, but maybe other folks can use the technique if they want.

Foen