PDA

View Full Version : User name already in use

Ganadai
October 1st, 2008, 01:06
How do I reset a user name? I've tried waiting, restarting FG, and restarting my computer, but I keep getting the message "user name already in use."

Griogre
October 1st, 2008, 01:26
Typically if you are player this means that you crashed out and tried to log back in and FG had not yet timed out so it thought you were still connected. However if this still happened, after you rebooted - are you sure that name wasn't already in use? You can just change your login name and tell the GM to free the character so you can load it but you will lose your hotkeys.

Ganadai
October 1st, 2008, 01:29
I'm hosting the server and I'm trying to connect to it using localhost. The user name worked fine for a few days, but just started giving me the error today.

I'm re-installing FG right now to see if that fixes it.

Ganadai
October 1st, 2008, 01:37
Re-installing FG didn't help. Still getting the same messege.

Ganadai
October 1st, 2008, 01:52
OK, I figured it out. I did a search of the registry for the user name and found it in a key labled "LastUsername". I deleted the key and I can connect fine now.

Maybe this should be added to the bug list?

Griogre
October 1st, 2008, 02:58
Ah. Here's your problem. The host and client names have to be different when you run two instances of FG as I'm sure you know. What I think you missed is that FG *remembers* the last username you *used.* This is typically the client name.

This means is when you start the host next time the *host* username by default is the old *client* username you used last. Thus because you started the server with the old client name if you use the remembered local host client name you are trying to start the client with the host name, and yes, that won't work.

The solution is when you start the Host next time press the change button next to the user name and set it back to the original host name.

Ganadai
October 1st, 2008, 03:08
Ah, you're right. Well that's stupid. It shouldn't auto use the same user name when you're hosting and when you connect. That obviously creates problems.

Moon Wizard
October 1st, 2008, 18:48
Yes, given that I work on rulesets quite a bit, having different user names for hosting versus playing would be a great feature.

JPG

Griogre
October 1st, 2008, 19:24
I wouldn't mind that one either. I typically have three names set for the client for testing and I just rotate through which ever one I didn't start the server as. I would also like a way to clear out the session history - maybe by selecting and pressing the delete key.

Foen
October 1st, 2008, 21:12
As a slight modification, maybe FG should store the user name of the last connection to end rather than the last one to start.

It wouldn't be quite the same as storing the last user name by type of connection, but it would be a lot closer.

Just my 2c

Stuart