PDA

View Full Version : The Bard's Tale

Xorn
September 16th, 2008, 07:03
So this last week, I've been playing The Bard's Tale with DosBox (and having a blast reliving my childhood), and while mapping the sewer level (and pulling my hair out) I started thinking about making a campaign based on the entire Bard's Tale trilogy. It's screaming for a 4E campaign... defeating Mangar and liberating Skara Brae... Heroic level. For the Paragon tier, expand into the Destiny Knight, traveling the countryside to save the world from a power-made archmage and gathering the pieces of an artifact to thwart is plans, and finish with an Epic tier battle across dimensions to confront, and finally defeat the Mad God, Tarjan!

While I was thinking about how much fun this could be, I got to wondering, has anyone else done any campaign based (in part or whole) on a CRPG you've played?

zabulus
September 16th, 2008, 09:18
While I haven't, I do have some PDFs explaining how to run a 3.5 game in the Diablo II universe, complete with feats for the different Diablo classes :)
I'm thinking of doing something with that and FG, bringing it back to the computer *grin*

Oberoten
September 16th, 2008, 09:39
I ran a X-com campaign a while back and even made a re-skinning for the ruleset for FG1. :)

Sorontar
September 16th, 2008, 11:03
Bard's Tale and X-Com took years of my life :)

Oberoten
September 16th, 2008, 11:14
X-com was really amazing as far as campaigns go... :) Of course there was the question of the female player that kinda turned it into "Wow... Never tried one of THOSE before" for a bit. Somewhat embaressing for some of our more prim players...

Still hillarious though when it was done tastefully.

One of the major highlights was a player who had a complete conspiracy theorist... and who managed to get the entire written down plot right (with a few weird digressions) without ever touching the games.

XpressO
September 21st, 2008, 09:11
I know it isn't crpg, but inspired by the SWAT games, I ran a couple of sessions of different SWAT team situations using d20 Modern :bandit: Also I've been thinking of running something like Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights, but don't really have any time to start creating anything, so I'm stuck to official adventures by wotc (not that I complain, they're brilliant) :)

Xorn
September 21st, 2008, 14:45
Yeah I haven't worked out when this adventure will get made, actually.

Lysander
September 22nd, 2008, 02:36
How about the original Wizadry series? I sure could use a Cuisanart Blade right about now... :D

MeepoSose
September 22nd, 2008, 04:07
I use games for inspiration some times. I ran a long epic 3.0 > 3.5 Spelljammer campaign where the starting planet was a custom world with all the empires based on the races from Master of Orion 2.

Oberoten
September 22nd, 2008, 07:46
*grins* Three words --- "The Force unleashed"

Also known as "Lets test the new system to the breaking limit... "