PDA

View Full Version : Starting Star Wars SE Campaign!!!

DedmeetDM
September 13th, 2008, 03:12
Hello everyone,

More accurate than the title is that I would like to DM a Star Wars campaign starting hopefully in the next couple weeks. I am most of the way done entering the first adventure into FG2, and would like to gauge interest in or start recruiting players for the campaign. The campaign will be in the Rise of the Empire era, and the PCs will need to have a reason to resist the Empire. I will most likely be looking for 4 players but may got to 5 if the player seems solid.

May the force be with you.

ProfMarks
September 14th, 2008, 23:16
I am very interested in participating. There's a recent thread on the boards with several people who were looking for something exactly like this. I'm US, EST and as long as when you chose to run it doesn't interfere with other commitments, I'd love to be there.

middlemonster
September 14th, 2008, 23:27
I would definately be interested in playing in a Star Wars campaign, I'll have to brush up on my history.

Let us know when and what time. And I have a some questions. What ability score system will we be using, and if its points how many, and what classes, species, concepts, and equipment/vehicles will be allowed?

What Supplement books are allowed?

guiguiBob
September 15th, 2008, 18:11
I would be very interested depending if it fits with my schedule.

DedmeetDM
September 15th, 2008, 20:37
Hey everyone,

Thanks for the interest. I will try to get more information posted up later today about the game. I am working hard to get the last bits put into FG.

DedmeetDM
September 15th, 2008, 23:48
Ok here goes:

Character Creation:
Ability scores: you start with 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8 and add 8 points into the stats. You can add these 8 points in however you choose, but no ability score can start at over an 18. From there you can add in your racial modifiers.
Races: All races from the SWSE handbook are allowed, except ewoks. Due to the time period.
Allowed Material: Classes (even jedi), talents, feats, gear, etc is allowed from these books: SWSE handbook, Starships of the Galaxy, and Knights of the Old Republic.
Affiliation: Your character must start with a reason to resist the Empire. Also no character will start as a sith or with a dark side score.
Misc. Info: The PCs will begin knowing each other. Whether this is a first meeting or long time friends, I will leave that to the players to decide. I do not allow character concepts which revolve around a character betraying his group mates later on. I have found that this only causes splits in the in the group and is generally only fun for one person. So if your only character design involves a PC whose goal it is to betray the rest of the group, you need not apply. If you would like further explanation of this rule, you can PM me and I will explain my reasons in depth.

Game Background:

Timeframe: The game will start a few months after the end of the Clone Wars and Order 66, roughly 19 BBY in game.
Location: The characters will start on a transport ship docking with the Sel Zonn Station, orbiting Brentaal. The game will start under the published Dawn of Defiance campaign, but will follow it or not depending on the choices the players make.
Canon: Inevitably this question comes up when dealing with Star Wars. This is my ruling on all canon material. It is subject to change! I will try to follow canon as much as possible. However, the players are the heroes (good or bad) of my campaign, and as such I will change canon as needed. I will try to work what changes in with canon as much as possible. So if you are a diehard "canon cannot be changed" type of player, this probably won't be the game for you. Nothing wrong with that style of playing, it's just not my way.
Game Day and Time: The day and time for the game are, right now, flexible. More than likely it will be in the evening of EST (GMT -5). Weekends are also a possibility if that works better.

Well that is all I can think of for now. If you have anymore questions feel free to post here or send me a PM. Sorry if this post makes me sound like a butthole. I'm really not, just have a certain way of running things that has so far lead to smooth games and lots of fun for everyone.

Thanks again for the interest.

DedmeetDM
September 15th, 2008, 23:52
Ok let me clarify something. I was just rereading my post.

If at some point in the game a reason forms that your character would betray the group, that is a different story, and can be discussed by the player and me. So don't think that you always have to be in agreement with the group. It's just that I have lost more than one group, because I allowed a player to start a character whose sole purpose it was to betray the group at the worst possible time.

As I say any further questions can be posted here or PM'd to be directly.

Thanks again for the interest.

middlemonster
September 16th, 2008, 00:35
Ok my character concept is either a force sensitive Noble or a Non-Combat Style Jedi (Mostly powers to avoid confrontation) I prefer to be a non-jedi force user though.

So the 8 points are like a point for point or using the planned point rules? Can I start with 16, 16, 16, 12, 10, 8? (which is 15+1, 14+2, 13+3, 12, 10, 8)

How much money do we start with? Are you going to do it random rolling, average amount, max, or the same amount for each class?

I already have my Noble Force User made I just need to know how much money I start with.

-----One technical/philosophical problem with SWSE I have is, I don't like how they do the light/dark side points, I mean shouldn't you have a chart for light side points too. Cause what if the user believes in Balance rather than one side over the other. I like the idea that Kyle Katarn teaches his pupils in the game Jedi Academy, its not how you use the force or the powers you use but the frame of mind you are in when you use them and all the time.

-----Going to the light side is just as hindering as going to the dark side. In the book it says once you fall to the dark side its hard to rise again. Well shouldn't the opposite be true. Once fully light its hard to fall to the dark side, cause you are so used to hiding your emotions that they sort of fade away, which would make you just as intolerant as a lost dark side person.

-----Light side users use law and order to guide them in the ways of the force, and suppress their emotions to keep them from falling from the dark side. The Jedi Order sometimes refuses to help those in need to keep themselves from get involved emotionally, which would help oppressors strengthen themselves.

-----Dark side users shouldn't necessarily be considered evil they just use strong emotion and instinct to guide them in the ways of the force. A dark jedi could still uphold the law as well as help people rebel against oppression. The only reason most Dark Sides fall to the Sith is because they go to the dark side in search of power or revenge.

-----A balanced person wouldn't cast aside his emotions or drown in them, they would keep a balance and strive to keep the light and dark side of the universe equally rather than fight for one side. This would allow them to make their own choices in how the galaxy stays in check. For example, when a government becomes too powerful and begins to oppress its people a balanced force user would fight the government to free the people from oppression, the opposite is true when citizens become too unruly or form criminal organizations that tend to cause people to suffer.

I believe that this philosophy was also taught in KOTOR 1 by Jolee Bindo.

Good examples of strong sided force users concepts:
Light-Side Jedi Master (An Jedi who rises to the light side and now condemns all Dark Side followers to judgement and teaches padawans to fight them when ever he feels necessary because they are lost)
Dark-Side Ex Jedi (An ex padawan turned vigilante who uses the force to punish criminals)
Balanced (A senator/noble who strives to keep peace in the galaxy by keeping Jedi and Sith from starting religious wars against each other)

BTW, I haven't read much of how the book teaches the force but from what I read anytime you use the force for something other than self defense or meditation you get dark side points. Let me know if my philosophy that I seemed to be taught by various Star Wars games coincides with the philosophy in the book. Oh and this is all just my opinion on how the force should be, I don't mind using the strict system in the book, I just prefer a realistic and logical philosophy when it comes to the force.

Garignak
September 16th, 2008, 00:36
I would love to get into this! Are there any spots available?

ProfMarks
September 16th, 2008, 00:38
Dedmeet,

Thanks for putting this together. Very excited about what you've laid out here. The general time period you've put for sounds good. Shall we do a draft of characters using the latest SWSE ruleset found on the site or would you rather us pen and paper it for your approval?

DedmeetDM
September 16th, 2008, 06:08
This is good I see some very energetic people. That makes me happy, players who are excited to play are (IMHO) much more creative.

Ok to answer a few questions:

(ProfMarks) You can go ahead and come up with a character concept now, and PM it to me. You can go ahead and design your characters if you want to, since we are not rolling I won't need to oversee character creation.

(Garignak) yes there are!

(Middlemonster) The 8 points are spent on a one for one basis. So you have 8 actual points to spend. No crazy math skills needed here :) Sorry I meant to put in my previous post about money. So everyone sees it You start with 75% of maximum credits!

Ok this part may stretch out a little long. Here is my take on force powers and dark side points. In my game it is the purpose you use the power for that awards dark side points, not the power itself. A light side jedi can use force lightning all day long in battle and not get a DSP. However, when you use force lightning to torture or other EVIL acts, then you get DSPs. If you use force choke for a second to get the advantage in battle, no DSP. If you use force choke to choke a npc to get more information out of him, thats a DSP. Also blatantly evil acts award DSP. If you kill a foe in battle, that is fine in my book. If you execute a helpless foe (by that I mean not a dark jedi who can still force lightning the crap out of you) then that awards a DSP.

Since I would like to get a head count of interested players.

Go ahead and send me a PM on the boards. I would like to see how many people I have wanting to play.

Garignak
September 16th, 2008, 06:28
I am definatly interested!

middlemonster
September 16th, 2008, 12:23
Haha, 75% Maximum Credits! feels like I won a game show. Anyways I was wondering what is considered a light weapon, is it based on weight? or is a small weapon a light weapon? I can't find where it specifies this.

DedmeetDM
September 16th, 2008, 13:49
(middlemonster) I looked for this in the book, the errata, and the jedi counseling and can't find it. So I would probably say it would small size or less weapons. If I find something different I will let you know.

middlemonster
September 16th, 2008, 22:01
So how close are we to starting this game? I'm super excited.

DedmeetDM
September 17th, 2008, 16:57
It will probably be a week or more. I still need to finish the campaign in FG, still need to get characters done, and need to get a time and day to start worked out with all the players.