PDA

View Full Version : Sharing rulesets

Hefsgaard
September 12th, 2008, 20:32
I bought a ruleset (IH) and it seems to work fine. However the libery rulebook does not transfer. Is this supposed to be so? After all the players didn't pay for it. Or am I doing something wrong?

Players can be such a pain! ;-)

Thore_Ironrock
September 12th, 2008, 23:56
If you an issue with a Digital Adventures product, please send send your name and where you purchased the product to the contact email provided with your purchase.

Thanks,

zabulus
September 13th, 2008, 07:21
Just to be sure: in the modules section you did allow the players to use the module (rulebook), right?

Hefsgaard
September 13th, 2008, 07:32
Thore IronRock: Not sure it is an issue with IH. Could be me or FG - which I hope.

Zabulus: Yes its set as a required/forced module. But I have tried setting it as an allowed module - same deal.

Leonal
September 13th, 2008, 11:26
I have the same problem with the CSRD actually. (using d20_JPG ruleset)

I can see it if I connect with another client locally, but my players cannot see the rules in the library. (With the books opened)

Talen
September 13th, 2008, 13:26
Same problem here with the 4e phb mod.

kalmarjan
September 13th, 2008, 13:32
Just to be sure, has FGII been upgraded with the newest patch?

Foen
September 13th, 2008, 14:50
I have just tested the beta Call of Cthulhu ruleset and it suffers from the same problem.

Host: Running v2.2 Full on Vista x64 Business
Client: Running v2.2 Lite on Vista x86 Business

The client sees the modules in the Modules dialog box, but they are permanently showing as transferring (with a web icon) and fail to load. The connection is over a LAN using named IP address.

This has only happened with the upgrade to v2.2 (the module sharing was fine until then).

Stuart

Tenian
September 13th, 2008, 14:52
Some of this sounds like the difference between client and common modules (but maybe I'm wrong):

If the module contains a "client.xml" file, this is the expected behavior. (which the 4E PHB typically does)

If you want the module to download to players automatically, the file should be named "common.xml"

Some users have reported problems with transferring tokens and using the "common.xml" file. This seems to be more of an issue the larger the module gets.

Foen
September 13th, 2008, 14:58
My modules are common.xml files ;)

Stuart

Foen
September 13th, 2008, 15:01
BTW, this won't appear as an issue with the default d20 ruleset, as it only uses client.xml (and db.xml) modules.

It might be worth renaming one of the client.xml d20 modules to common.xml and seing if the problem can be recreated using the default ruleset. I'll give it a go later, but for now I'm away from my machine/LAN.

Stuart

Foen
September 13th, 2008, 15:07
The file sizes are 143k, 43k and 30k, so nothing too large (and it _is_ a LAN).

Stuart

Foen
September 13th, 2008, 15:37
I have just confirmed this is an issue with the default d20 ruleset as well. I renamed client.xml to common.xml for the d20basicrules.mod file, removed the module from a client machine and tried to connect to the host.

The client is unable to retrieve the module.

I'll escalate as a bug.

Stuart

Goblin-King
September 14th, 2008, 07:52
I could not replicate this. I tested it with the DA Savage Worlds ruleset that uses common.xml for the player rules reference, as well as following the steps described by Foen above.

Any further information you might be able to give would be useful.

Foen
September 14th, 2008, 08:32
The problem seems to be fixed if you copy the db.xml to a new campaign folder on the host.

Stuart

(I was using Tale of Dinor to replicate the problem in d20, which was pre-existing)

Hefsgaard
September 18th, 2008, 18:03
I do not quite understand what you did to overcome the problem? At least not well enough to implement.

Would it be possible to lure you into disclosing a few more details?

Foen
September 18th, 2008, 18:08
I had an old campaign (from v2.1.1) called The Withered Lands, so I renamed the campaign directory to 'The Withered Lands old', launched FG (v2.2) and created a new campaign called 'The Withered Lands'. I then copied the db.xml file from 'The Withered Lands old' directory to 'The Withered Lands' directory.

Campaign directories are the 'campaigns' folder in 'Application Data', which is available from your FG start menu.

Hope that helps!

Stuart

Hefsgaard
September 20th, 2008, 10:13
Did not seem to help.
Players still do not seem to get the Rules book in their lirbrary. Though if I open a client on the same computer, and log on there is no problem.

Foen
September 21st, 2008, 05:48
Hefsgaard

Could you drop Goblin King any screenshots? He is unable to replicate this and I can no longer replicate it since I fixed my campaigns. Please also take a look in the player's client cache directory and see if you can see the modules there.

Thanks

Stuart

Wargamer777
September 21st, 2008, 16:28
Same thing happened to my group on Friday. They couldn't get the rulebooks.

At one time, a player actually saw the book in his module activation, but he could not open the book so that it would appear in his library.

Hefsgaard
September 22nd, 2008, 19:41
On the player client the following 3 files are in the Cashe folder:

campaign.dat 9840 kb
IH Quick Reference.dat 25 kb
IH Rules.dat 14 kb

That last one looks very small. Isn't it 1983 kb?

Griogre
September 22nd, 2008, 22:22
Not necesarily. You are looking at a cache. If you haven't shared much to that client there is no reason for the cache to be large since the cache grows over time as you share things.

Hefsgaard
September 23rd, 2008, 05:57
The IH rules file is about 2000 kb on the host. but in the encrypted file only 14 kb? It feels wrong to me, and could explain why my players keep getting errors when trying to access it.

Foen
September 23rd, 2008, 16:08
I think common.xml files replicate to clients through the cache and seem to have the same size. If a common module appears in the client cache and is smaller than it should be, I guess there is a file transfer problem.

Might this be along the same lines as the token transfer problem?

I don't know about you guys, but this is a stinker of a problem for v2.2 (IMHO) and it is a darn shame it cannot be replicated easily.

If anyone can replicate this, please post here - I'd love to know and I think it would help the devs track this one down.

Stuart

Phystus
September 24th, 2008, 01:31
Here's a screenshot of the problem.

I'm running the d20_JPG ruleset.

My players have 3 modules in 'cobweb' status. Plynar Information (house rules) is a common module. D20 Equipment is also a common. FG2 Help is a client, and isn't present in the player's modules folder, so I expected a problem with that.

They can actually use D20 Equipment, but it's still in cobweb status. They can read all the text in Plynar Information, but when they open the map it's blank until I open it and preload it, at which point they can see it for the duration of the session. The map shows up to my players almost instantly, so it isn't a speed problem, either.

I have attached a screen shot of both a player's and GM's view of the module window.

I've tried the suggested solution of renaming the campaign folder, defining a new campaign and copying db.xml from the old campaign to the new. It did not solve the problem, though it did unlink the player portraits.

If there's any other information, or files, needed to help diagnose this please don't hesitate to ask.

~P

zabulus
September 24th, 2008, 15:37
I have noted problems with maps in library modules I created myself which are probably related to the size of the map (mine is 2000x700 or so, I know FG2 has issues with images larger than a certain size). If I open that same map from the campaign images and share it, they can see it fine (so that's my workaround for now)
I do not have a problem with basic rulebooks not being available, though.

Hefsgaard
September 27th, 2008, 17:02
I have noticed that the IH rulebook uses the client.xml
I have tried to rename it to common.xml, but that only results in it missing from the Module when I load FGII. Perhaps a problem in repacking?

If someone need to see it they are more than welcome to log on to my server. Its usualy up anyway.

Alternatively I am quite willing to grab any screen that might be helpfull. Just tell me what might be usefull!

Hefsgaard
October 4th, 2008, 07:05
If you rename client.xml to common.xml make sure its still Zip format, and do not fiddle too much with the packing options.

transfer works fine with common.xml.

I only wonder if I have broken copyright now?