PDA

View Full Version : FG Update 2.2 Implimentation Issues?

Sigurd
September 12th, 2008, 17:30
Its great to have program improvements! Thank you for everything.

Could we get a message like this stickied for a month?

Can anyone who has installed the new update share any growing pains with either vanilla or custom ruleset(s)?

Bugs?

Workarounds?

Blue Haven
September 12th, 2008, 18:23
Well i have a problem with the WFRP ruleset, the one from Nezzir, it gets an error when you exit the program but i can´t see the error because its to fast and i can´t read what it says...but its strange because it only shows the error when you do something (i can´t figure out what) if you just enter and exit the program you get no error...

kaffien
September 12th, 2008, 21:20
Hello everyone,

I'm finding that fantasy grounds 2.2 crashes frequently when
going to screen saver OR when i choose to lock my pc.

This happens in both vista 32 bit and vista 64 bit

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Symptoms include black screen that does not restore when coming out of sleep / suspend or screen saver.

This is the only error i can find pertaining to fantasy grounds in the event logs.

The program FantasyGrounds.exe version 0.0.0.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Problem Reports and Solutions control panel. Process ID: a04 Start Time: 01c915042d20d6eb Termination Time: 31

Griogre
September 13th, 2008, 00:16
DirectX apps typically hate screen savers. Did this also happen with the prior version?

unerwünscht
September 13th, 2008, 00:29
It looks like all the custom rulesets are broken, or atleast it crashes when I try to load any of them. Have tried it with JPG_D20 and MSRD. I'm guessing that this is something that we are just going to have to wait for updated rulesets tho.

Sigurd
September 13th, 2008, 00:55
Hello everyone,

I'm finding that fantasy grounds 2.2 crashes frequently when
going to screen saver OR when i choose to lock my pc.

I think this is a known issue Kaffien. As has been said it appears to be a weirdness with Directx. The work around is to disable the screensaver and not lock the PC. I hope this gets fixed at some point but I'd like this thread to be about the state of the recent patch.

Improvements will take a while to be adopted by other rulesets. People reading this thread should not be discouraged improvement is still change and change must be adapted to.

Sigurd

Griogre
September 13th, 2008, 00:57
My JPG_d20 loaded fine as did the 4E ruleset. So did my Shaintar and Savage World rulesets. However, I only tested the vanilla rulesets with no mods or addins and I didn't really mess around much with them. I don't have the MSRD. I'll know more after my 4E game tonight. :p

unerwünscht
September 13th, 2008, 03:06
Interesting, I am not using any mods.
It loads just fine with the default ruleset for me tho. I will look into it some more in the morning and see if I cant figure out what is going on.

Phystus
September 14th, 2008, 03:21
My d20_JPG seemed to load OK too. I haven't tested it extensively, though. I did check the token box, and it opened just fine.

If I try to use the town extension I get an error, as I reported here:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8640

But I suspect that's not 2.2 issue, just a d20_JPG issue.

~P

Oberoten
September 14th, 2008, 07:28
Hmmm... Ars Magica reporting in. Actually seems more stable than before on 2.2. I am pleased. VERY pleased.

- Obe

unerwünscht
September 14th, 2008, 10:36
I uninstalled and reinstalled and everything is working fine for me now.

Oberoten
September 14th, 2008, 12:12
Complete uninstall and reinstall as well as checking all folder names for right capitalization fixed this for me. Now to see how much of my functionality I can put into extensions instead.

I'd love to be able to put extra character-sheet pages in this really.
Like per example a modern character-sheet or a really neolithic one. (Think crinkeled paper, E-paper look or stone tablet. :) )

Foen
September 14th, 2008, 12:19
I've used extensions to change the skill set for Call of Cthulhu, between 1890s, 1920s and present day. However, there is scope for much more to be done.

It is worth noting that extensions download to players' campaign caches, so you need to think carefully about size.

Foen

Valarian
September 14th, 2008, 16:08
I've used extensions to change the skill set for Call of Cthulhu, between 1890s, 1920s and present day. However, there is scope for much more to be done.
Any chance a Dark Ages skill set might be added as well? :p

Foen
September 14th, 2008, 16:31
It would be easy to add the skills, but the extension doesn't patch the equipment list etc (the published book has 1890-present kit lists, which are are in the base ruleset), so I think a Dark Ages extension would require a little more work.

Foen

Sigurd
September 15th, 2008, 04:46
My experience, for anyone reading.

The default ruleset works well. The towns extensions look promising - Good idea.

The update doesn't impact custom rulesets either way. The updates don't touch the ruleset files.

The updated files:

adventure_items.xml
base.xml
desktop_classes.xml
desktop_templates.xml
frames/chatbox.png*
scripts/charsheet_skilllist.lua
scripts/combattracker_entry.lua
scripts/d20desktop.lua
scripts/desktopmanager.lua
scripts/library_booklist.lua
utility.xml
* This is just a bleached picture of the chatbox. If your ruleset hasn't customized it there is no problem dropping this in.

These files hold functionality that will not be available to custom rulesets until they are revised. Thanks to Goblinking for listing the changed files with the update.

I have only tested 'd20_jpg' but it stands to reason that if the files haven't changed they should work. This is good design.

I'll be eager to find updates for custom rulesets to take advantage of the new elements.

My thanks to the Developers!

Sigurd

Spyke
September 16th, 2008, 14:58
The release version of the GURPS 4e ruleset (v0.90) works fine under 2.2.0.

I have updated my version locally to use the new functionality distributed with the latest build of the d20 ruleset. At the moment this is only required if you're building extensions for GURPS, but PM me if you need it! These changes will be incorporated in the next release, but at that point all users will have to update FG to v2.2.0.

Spyke

Oberoten
September 16th, 2008, 21:57
Ahah! For the GURPS ruleset, I imagine that something along the lines of what I am working on now might be a great boon... a replacement for the basic looks, a re-skinning if you wish.

Basically, a extension pack with alternative icons for a different era and then defining what filed the icon-names link to.

I'll try and fix up a modern, a medieval and maybe a Sci-Fi pack it should be useable for GURPS as well.

Spyke
September 16th, 2008, 23:06
That would be brilliant, Obe. I'm also working on a basic skin for it, which would probably work best for pulp or modern adventures.

Spyke
September 20th, 2008, 13:11
Deleted as accidentally posted same message twice... sorry.

Spyke
September 20th, 2008, 13:13
I've found that if you have an unpacked extension loaded the player session will hang when connecting. Players can only connect if the extension is packaged in a .ext file. Not likely to be an issue for gaming in practice, of course, but might catch you out while you're developing.

Spyke

Foen
September 21st, 2008, 05:51
Thanks for the tip, I'll stick to packed extensions.

Foen

Bimpnottin
September 23rd, 2008, 02:43
I hope I'm putting this in the right spot - I upgraded to 2.2.0 on my Lite version tonight, and can't stay connected to the game my DM is running. Two of our group aren't having any issues. It just keeps booting me out. I've restarted the computer twice. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sigurd
September 23rd, 2008, 02:52
The other players are also updated and they have no problem though, Right?

It is possible that your are timing out because of issues with your internet connection. Do you normally have a stable connection or is it a little off sometimes?

Before you go changing your setup try another connection or the same connection at a different time. Sometime when you drop out of the game your data is still present for a while and can stop you rejoining for a while. It's unlikely a version problem if the other players weren't having trouble but that doesn't mean ya can't ask for help on the forums :). If this doesn't do you you might get faster help under a thread title that describes the problem.

Hope ya get it worked out,

Sigurd

blue_lifesaver
September 26th, 2008, 19:40
So...after "upgrading" due to a player upgrading by accident...the prob I have is I try and open a game and it won't load up..however, it will load it up using the previous edition. This makes it so my players can't connect..anyone else have this issue????