PDA

View Full Version : Missing FG2 Help

Bidmaron
September 7th, 2008, 02:49
Attached, you will find a help library module for FG2. It needs a lot of work, as most of the pages are simply skeletal. However, the chat window portion is fully filled-out (or at least as much as I know about). This is for the core d20 ruleset, although I intend to do one for the 3.5 JPG also. If you have any corrections, additions, or recommendations, please attach them to this thread (or PM me if you want).
To install the help, simply unzip the attachment and drag it into your modules folder.
--Dale--

Vroomfogle
September 7th, 2008, 04:09
I'd love to see the content here as a pdf as well, especially the list of / commands. I've got the old jpeg cheat sheet that's been floating around here but it's dated now.

I also don't use the d20 ruleset, some of the generic stuff would be very helpful!

Bidmaron
September 7th, 2008, 04:42
d20=generic. There won't be a PDF (at least by me) because I'm trying to make it a module for use within FG2. PDF isn't my design goal.
--Dale--

Oberoten
September 7th, 2008, 08:16
Good initiative. You missed the /die command though.

<tr decoration="underline"><td>/die [NrDSides / Number] [Annotation] [reveal] [hide]</td><td>--</td><td>Handling dice-rolling in the chat-window</td></tr>

Foen
September 7th, 2008, 09:02
Nice work Dale. I've implemented something similar for the Call of Cthulhu ruleset (a "Using the Ruleset" reference module) and play-test feedback is encouraging.

Cheers

Stuart

Bidmaron
September 7th, 2008, 12:33
As I get feedback and flesh out the missing material, I'll update the original link. Also, I'll add the 3.5 JPG set. General question: should it be common or client?
--Dale--

Foen
September 7th, 2008, 12:37
I'd say client - it is up to players if they want to include it, as some may need to refer to it more than others. It can also be used offline at character creation time.

Just my 2c

Stuart

Bidmaron
September 7th, 2008, 12:42
Especially good point on the client use off-line. Client it is then.

Oberoten
September 7th, 2008, 12:52
Mhm. And useful to transfer out BEFORE session that way too.

Griogre
September 7th, 2008, 20:43
Nice module Bidmaron. Since this is a generic help, I would suggest you change the last tag in the defination.xml from <ruleset>d20_JPG</ruleset> to <ruleset>d20</ruleset> so it works in the default d20 ruleset.

The d20 JPG is set to work with the default d20 files so it won't effect it and this will allow it to work in both rulesets.

Sigurd
September 7th, 2008, 22:04
As I get feedback and flesh out the missing material, I'll update the original link. Also, I'll add the 3.5 JPG set. General question: should it be common or client?
--Dale--

Can you throw a version number on the end so that we know if its changed before we download it?

Bidmaron
September 8th, 2008, 01:58
Sorry about the d20 JPG. That was an oversight. The current version doesn't yet specifically address any JPG stuff. Roger on the version. Consider the current download as version 0. I'm working on the player stuff right now, but one of my submarines is doing an engineering inspection the next 3 days, so I'll be out of touch.
--Dale--

Bidmaron
September 12th, 2008, 03:31
At the start of this thread, the new version of the help library module has been loaded. It fixes the ruleset for d20. It also has information for how to create characters in local mode. Screenshot of the new information is below:

Foen
September 12th, 2008, 05:54
That's really helpful Dale, I think this needs to be added to the FG Library for download or this thread made sticky at the very least.

Stuart

Phystus
September 28th, 2008, 06:44
Bidmaron, thanks so much for putting this together.

I've made a few additions I thought I'd share.

The first one isn't d20_JPG-specific. It adds to entries in the Chat command section to cover the /die command. Add it to the table entries in code sections aaGM and aaPlayer.

<tr decoration="underline"><td>/die #d?+X [text]</td><td>--</td><td>Rolls # die ? plus X. Labels the roll with the optional [text]. Note that prior to pushing enter you can drag this into a hotkey.</td></tr>
<tr decoration="underline"><td>/die (#d?+X)+(#d?+X)+N [text]</td><td>--</td><td>More complex example of the use of the /die command.</td></tr>

I also added two table entries for commands specific to d20_JPG. These also go in the chat sections:

<tr decoration="underline"><td>/wg [text]</td><td>--</td><td>The chat text will be sent only to the GM</td></tr>
<tr decoration="underline"><td>/w [character name] [text]</td><td>--</td><td>The chat text will be sent only to the character named. Note that depending on how options are set, the GM may also see it..</td></tr>

I added a section to the player info to discuss using the mini character sheet (d20_JPG ruleset specific).

<arPlayer>
<listlink type="windowreference">
<class>referencetextwide</class>
<recordname>..</recordname>
</listlink>
<name type="string">Using the Mini Character Sheet</name>
<text type="formattedtext">
<p><b>Advantages of the Mini Sheet</b></p>
<list>
<li>The Mini sheet can be resized to best use your screen</li>
<li>The entries in the Mini sheet are locked, so you won't mess up numbers by accidentally rolling your mouse wheel while you're over a number field (all too easily done on the main character sheet)</li>
<li>You can cast spells from your mini sheet just by clicking on them</li>
<li>You can pick which equipment and skills appear on the mini sheet, so you don't have to look at everything all the time.</li>
<li>Attacks, damage, saving throws, skill checks, etc. are all 'drag and drop': you can simply drag the field onto the chat window to make the relevant roll with the appropriate modifiers.</li>
</list>
<p><b>Accessing the Mini-Sheet</b></p>
<p>At the bottom left of your character sheet is the word 'Mini'</p>
<p>Click on it!</p>
<p><b>Adding and Removing Skills on the Mini-sheet</b></p>
<list>
<li>On your main character sheet, select the skills tab</li>
<li>On the left of each skill are two circles. The first (left) circle determines whether a skill is shown on the mini-sheet.</li>
<li>To add a skill to the mini sheet, check the circle.</li>
<li>To remove a skill, click on the circle again to uncheck it.</li>
</list>
</text>
<p><b>Adding and removing Equipment from the mini-sheet</b></p>
<list>
<li>On your main character sheet select your Inventory tab</li>
<li>On the right-hand side of the Inventory window are two columns of little circles. The first circle determines whether an item is added to your total encumberance. The second circle determines whether the item shows on the mini-sheet.</li>
<li>To add an item to the mini sheet, click the circle. A checkmark will appear.</li>
<li>To remove an item from the mini sheet, click a checked item. The check will go away.</li>
</list>
<p><b>Automatic Die Rolling</b></p>
<p> See the entry under 'Working with Spells' for instructions on adding die rolls to equipment (useful for such things as holy water, alchemist's fire, flasks of oil, healing potions, etc.)</p>
</arPlayer>

Finally I added another player section for spells. Some of this is d20_JPG-specific, some not. Cull as you please.

<axPlayer>
<listlink type="windowreference">
<class>referencetextwide</class>
<recordname>..</recordname>
</listlink>
<name type="string">Working with Spells</name>
<text type="formattedtext">
<p><b><i>Working with Spells</i></b></p>
<p><b>Preparing Spells</b></p>
<list>
<li>On your character sheet, go to the spells tab</li>
<li>At the bottom, make sure 'Preparation mode' is checked</li>
<li>Click on the little circles that appear between the spell name and the spell description: When the circle is dark brown it is prepared.</li>
<li>The number of circles shown between a spell name and its description represents the total number of spells of that level that you may prepare for the day.</li>
<li>When you have prepared all your spells for the day, uncheck the 'Preparation mode' circle at the bottom of the spell list.</li>
<li>Your spells will now appear on your mini-sheet.</li>
</list>
<p><b>Adding Spells to your spell list</b></p>
<list>
<li>Open your character sheet and select the spells tab</li>
<li>Scroll down the list until you see the appropriate spell level</li>
<li>Click on Library (lower right of screen)</li>
<li>Select D20 Spells</li>
<li>Select the appropriate spell list</li>
<li>Select the spell you wish to add</li>
<li>click on the grey box for the spell and drag it onto your character sheet.</li>
<li>The spell list will re-sort itself alphabetically</li>
<li>Remember you don't need to add a spell to your character sheet multiple times, you can prepare it more than once (see above).</li>
</list>
<p><b>Automatic Die rolling</b></p>
<p>You can automatically roll dice when you cast a spell!</p>
<p>As an example, we will automate the damage from a 3d4+3<i>magic missile</i>:</p>
<list>
<li><b>First</b> add the numeric modifier (+3 in this case):</li>
<li>Put your mouse over the modifier box and scroll up until it's at +3</li>
<li>Drag the 3 from the modifier box and drop it onto the short spell description on your character sheet</li>
<li>You should now see an oval box with +3 in it on the spell entry on your character sheet</li>
<li>Now to add the dice (3d4 in this case):</li>
<li>Right-click on the d4, and select 3</li>
<li>Drag the dice over to the short spell description on your character sheet and drop them</li>
<li>You should now see an oval box to the left of the +3 with the silhouette of 3 4-sided dice</li>
<li>To use the automation, open your mini-sheet</li>
<li>On the spells tab, click on the checkmark icon to the left of the spell name to cast the spell.</li>
</list>
</text>
</axPlayer>

Enjoy!

~P

Bidmaron
September 28th, 2008, 13:22
Thanks, Foen, glad for the help! I'll add the changes today and upload the new one. I have some other updates I want to put in also.

Foen
September 28th, 2008, 13:54
Sorry, although I'd be proud to have made the contribution, you have Phystus to thank for this one!

Bidmaron
September 28th, 2008, 13:58
Ooops, sorry Phystus. Anyone, thanks for the help. As you note, it's a work in progress, and I'll add stuff as I can, but if anyone has anything they want in it, I'll try to put that in quickly.

Phystus
September 29th, 2008, 16:39
Glad to be of help! If you're mistaking my code for Foen's I'll take it as a compliment! ;)

~P

Master
December 14th, 2008, 04:26
I tried to change the module list from d20 to cthulhu but when I start cthulhu it does not show.

<ruleset>CallOfCthulhu</ruleset>

did not work. Am I missing something? That is the only thing I changed for this module.

edit: not sure how but i fixed it.

Foen
December 14th, 2008, 08:04
Glad you got it working!

Stuart

Master
December 15th, 2008, 00:03
I think it was a problem with the way I was repacking it into a mod file.