PDA

View Full Version : Community Enrichment

Foen
September 6th, 2008, 22:46
Hi folks

As a ruleset hack, I just wondered if there is a list out there of community add-ons to make the FG world a better place? I'm aware of the combat-tracker save/load mod, the player-to-player whisper mod, and The Box, but is there someone/somewhere that has a list of this good stuff?

I'm thinking of creating a 'base' ruleset which has much of the improved functionality but can be built upon for new rulesets.

Cheers

Foen

Tokuriku
September 7th, 2008, 01:32
Hello Foen!

What you are suggesting is exactly what we are trying to do at
ThePalentir.com (https://thepalentir.com/)
Of course we are no there yet but it is our goal; to provide the community with a place where all the resources, be it hacks, mods, tutorials are lined up fair and square to be found easily and to make new discoveries easier.

So for all interested, keep an eye out for news on the progress we make on the site. We expect to be able to accept contributions from the community starting on November of this year.

The Palentir

Tenian
September 8th, 2008, 19:35
I can make my reference_manual code available. I'm fairly certain it doesn't use anything 4E_JPG specific, but if it does it's probably just a utility function or a class that I can include. I'll verify it works with the d20 before putting it out there.

Really it is just a way to organize multiple formatedtext objects into Chapters/Sections/Articles. You can see an examples here:

Example 1 (https://4.bp.blogspot.com/_uDFpksWt8LQ/SLyKULyF4oI/AAAAAAAAAwk/8TfY3x3PIhM/s1600/going_up.jpg)
Example 2 (https://1.bp.blogspot.com/_uDFpksWt8LQ/SLsOU0XUmRI/AAAAAAAAAwE/-slHDiq4xfc/s1600-h/phase3.jpg)

I would also release a stripped down version of one of my parsing tools that would allow you to take a marked up text file and build the required XML client/common/db file for use with this module. The parser even has a special markup command to make linking images easier. The image shown in example 2 was done using this syntax. You just need to supply the image filename and the display text. The parser takes care of the class and recordname. More advanced users can include their own links within the text to access other objects.

As a tool to display rules, I'm very satisfied with it, and I've received a lot of positive feed back from those who have used it.

Since the input is marked up text instead of raw XML, it might help fill a gap for those who want to create an in game manual but lack the skills to build the manual directly in XML and get it to work with the existing ruleset classes.

The text file structure looks like this (data from example 1):

ZGROUP
Chapter 2 - Making Characters
ZSUBGROUP
Intro
....data for all the subnodes of intro...
...data for all the other subnodes...
ZSUBGROUP
Gaining Levels
ZNAME
Intro
ZTEXT
<p>
...intro's text...
</p>
ZNAME
Character Advancement Chart
ZTEXT
<p>
<b>CHARACTER ADVANCEMENT</b>
</p>
<table>
....data...
</table>

Just a thought.

Bidmaron
September 12th, 2008, 00:13
I would be very interested in your parser. I'm working on reference materials, and it can be very frustrating and slow working in straight xml.
--Dale--