2) Changed .mod to .zip
3) Unzipped it
4) Opened the Client file
5) Changed "d20 Spells" in the name tag to "d20 Spells2"
6) Saved file
7) Opened Definition file
8) Changed "d20 Spells" in the name tag to "d20 Spells2"
9) Saved file
10) Recompressed the folder (deleting original compressed folder first)
11) Changed .zip to .mod
12) Moved zip file to modules directory
13) Opened up FG2
14) Opened my d20_JPG campaign as host
15) Went to the modules button
16) There is no "d20 Spells2" in the list of available modules.

What am I doing wrong? I was just trying to take a skeleton of an existing module, changing as little as possible to see if I could get it to work.
--Dale--

Valarian
September 3rd, 2008, 12:38
In the definition.xml file, did you change the ruleset reference to d20_JPG rather than d20?

unerwünscht
September 3rd, 2008, 12:51
That shouldn't matter... I am 75% sure that d20_jpg is set to associate with the d20 modules.

What program did you use to 1) edit the files and 2) rezip them?
I have had some issues editing the files with DreamWeaver, We havnt figured out why yet, but it makes the modules not load correctly about 50% of the time. And I know that 7zip changes some arch information for better compression so that may or may not cause an issue, I havnt tested to see.

zabulus
September 3rd, 2008, 14:41
I do wonder: Is there a "D20 Spells" in the modules section?

Also, you did compress it as D20 Spells2.zip and rename it to D20 Spells2.mod? (Although I seem to recall the renaming part isn't strictly necessary).

Foen
September 3rd, 2008, 18:06
Could you post a temporary link to your .mod file?

Cheers

Foen

Griogre
September 3rd, 2008, 19:57
Putting up a link to the mod would be helpful. You seemed to have done things correctly. One of the most common problems when people first make their own library book module is they zip it up with an extra folder. The module will not be displayed in the list of modules if you do this.

You want your 3 files zipped up togeather but *not* in a folder when you make the zip. A fair amount of zip programs like to put them in a folder and then zip them. Try using the very generic built in Windows file compressor.

I believe unerwünscht is correct - the d20_JPG is set to accept d20 modules. Mine does but I couldn't swear I didn't set it that way myself.

Phystus
September 4th, 2008, 00:58
I can confirm that the d20_JPG ruleset accepts basic d20 ruleset library modules. I built mine using the basic ruleset and it works under d20_JPG. (Thanks again to Griogre for all the help!)

Come to think of it, the only library mod it came with was the d20 Equipment module, but the basic modules (d20 Monsters, etc.) show up. So it's proved twice! :D

~P

Bidmaron
September 4th, 2008, 01:06
Thank you all for being so helpful. I used Notepad++ to do the editing. I used the standard windows right-click and 'send to'->Compressed(zipped)folder.

Bidmaron
September 4th, 2008, 01:07
Somehow the zip didn't make it:

Phystus
September 4th, 2008, 01:18
First thing I noticed when I opened the zip was a d20spells2 directory. Which is a problem. The zip file you rename as .mod should open directly to the 3 files without an intermediate directory, as pointed out above.

I'm not sure if this matters, but when I sliced up a basic module to create my library mod I changed the <d20spells static="true"> (and the corresponding </d20spells>, of course) too. Might be the second thing to try.

Hope that helps.

~P

Bidmaron
September 4th, 2008, 01:48
That was it, the nested folder. Now why would the zip program take a folder and add a folder above it? Oh, well, live and learn. In a way, I'm glad it was something stupid. One thing I learned though is that the program reads the directory at the start, so you have to close FG2 to get it to recognize a new library module.

Phystus
September 4th, 2008, 02:44
Glad to hear it's working!

Here's a link to a recent thread on library modules. I ended up asking a lot of questions and getting some great help, hopefully reading about my blunders will help you avoid a few! :D https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6967

~P

Bidmaron
September 4th, 2008, 03:44
Believe it or not, I had already read that link. I think I'm up and running now that I got past the stupidity of the folder compression. I'm sure I'll have questions though....

Foen
September 4th, 2008, 06:02
The sub-directory is probably your problem. A module should have its definition and most of its content in the root of the zip file. Typically images/tokens might appear in a sub-directory.

The d20spells tag isn't a problem (you can call the top-level module node anything) but it might be confusing. Two different modules that have the same top-level tag will have their contents merged. In this case (additional spells) that might be helpful, but generally it probably isn't.

Foen

EDIT: Sorry I didn't spot the other entries in this thread. Glad its working for you! Stuart