PDA

View Full Version : Question on tokens and module creations

Talen
August 31st, 2008, 16:12
This question is really targeting Xorn, but I'd welcome input from anyone who has the asnwers...

Xorn mentioned in a previous post (and I saw as a lurker in his weekly game), that he was having some issues with token size in his modules. How did you resolve the issue? Are you still going with 100x100 pixels for your Medium creatures?

I just bought fiery dragon's 4e counter collection and plan to convert to fgII tokens....looking to avoid issues in adavance if I can and I seem to recall you contemplating going to 30x30...

Also, with your adventure modules, if there is an update to the 4e_jpg ruleset after you create the module, are you still using the older version when you run the game? I'm wondering if thats also creating some issues for me...

As always...thanks for all the help!

Tenian
August 31st, 2008, 16:50
If you upgrade the ruleset then you are running the new version. You may run into trouble if the ruleset now expects different structures (npcs, items, maps, etc) than the module contains.

Talen
August 31st, 2008, 17:58
Understood...but it looks like, provided your don't overright the previous version of the ruleset (say 1.0), you could install version 1.2 as a separate ruleset and load either as appropriate. I haven't done this as of yet, but with the hinted at revisions in the ruleset coming down, maybe that's the way to go.

....still curious on the token front tho as it seems that whenever I've had weird bug problems or stability issues, it's traced back to the bloody tokens! :)

Tenian
August 31st, 2008, 18:10
Renaming rulesets isn't quite so easy. Any modules you build have a definition.xml file that contains a reference to the ruleset. You'll need to modify it (or produce 2 separate copies) so that it points to each ruleset.

Xorn
August 31st, 2008, 18:23
Actually, I have every ruleset since 0.90 archived. What I do is call the current ruleset 4E_JPG. As it gets updated, I rename that folder 4E_JPG 0.98 etc, and put the new one in as 4E_JPG.

So everything I've created that references the 4E_JPG ruleset still points to it correctly.

As far as my token loading, game crashing weekend, my last session went perfect. I was still using the 1.0.2 ruleset, I dropped down to using 50 pixel tokens, but I really don't think that had much of an impact. Really, the single biggest change was that I stopped using an 800 KB "common.xml" file as my PHB module. I think that's what was causing my issues, in the end.

Griogre
September 1st, 2008, 00:47
On the ruleset name, I do exactly the same thing as Xorn. I have a folder called 4E_JPG and I just drop new releases into overwriting the old ones, followed by Devin's melee icon's. You *should* keep a copy of the last one back in case there is a major problem with a release so you can "roll back" to the prior version though.

Griogre
September 1st, 2008, 00:53
The Fiery Dragon tokens should not give you much problems. They don't have any transparency. I've used them for a long time. I am going to pick up the 4E counter collection eventually but its no rush for me yet because I have the 3.5 collection.

Talen
September 2nd, 2008, 00:15
Really, the single biggest change was that I stopped using an 800 KB "common.xml" file as my PHB module. I think that's what was causing my issues, in the end.

So...do you not share the phb file with your players now or is there a way to truncate the file I'm (not surprisingly), not understanding?

Tenian
September 2nd, 2008, 00:30
If your module is built to include a client file instead of a common file then the file is still shared. However, to access the file the player must have their own copy of the module. So you could build the module with the client.xml and then email it to your players and have them install it in the module directory on their machines.

This removes FG transferring the file (and choking off the token transfer) because you're distributing it by some other method.