PDA

View Full Version : Looking to observe a DnD 3.5 game

Wenin
August 31st, 2008, 00:46
I just purchased FG2 at Gencon, and going through all the prep to get the software ready to even begin setting up my campaign.

Anyway, I'd like to observe someone's game that has their things setup and running.

Any takers?

zabulus
August 31st, 2008, 11:26
I think you'd best look into the program and try some things out for yourself. You can even start the program twice (once as a host, once as a client) and connect to your own game to see things as they would look on a client. It's really mostly self-explanatory and if you have questions, these forums usually provide fast answers.

If you were to connect to someone elses game and just looked, I think you'd miss out on a lot of stuff that goes on GM-side. I found the whole program really easy to get into and most of the time I used to set up an adventure was just that: setting up the adventure (as opposed to: learning how to do this or that). I spent maybe 12 hours setting it up (and most of that was typing up room descriptions, if you have a premade adventure where you can cut-n-paste from, this will be MUCH faster) and my group of 3 has now played 4 evenings with lots of fun and they are not even halfway yet :)

Wenin
August 31st, 2008, 15:31
The people selling the application at Gencon told me that I couldn't connect to my own game as a player since it has the same license as the host.

Well I tried what you suggested, and it worked. Thanks. =)

The setup I'm doing is creating all of those DnD minis that Xorn suggested. I'm also going to start building my Monster Library campaign module as well.

Are you finding that games run just as fast, or slower than games ran in person?

I'd still like to observe someone running a game with FG2.

zabulus
August 31st, 2008, 19:01
Creating a game on your own computer over the internet results in a licence error, connecting through the LAN is fine.

I do find that running games through FG tends to be slower, both from my own games as from one session log I have read. Usually the evening is filled with maybe 4 rooms, 2 fights at most.
However, that is also due to FG bringing out the roleplayer in people *grin*.

Plus, I have also been in RL games where the adventure log could be summed up as "They enter the hole". Just because people banter about all kinds of stuff not game related *grin*.

Wenin
August 31st, 2008, 20:09
Do you use voice or text for communication, that you're able to bring out of RP?

zabulus
September 1st, 2008, 07:56
Nope, no voice just text. FG supports emotes and IC/OOC style text for interaction. Plus, I've always thought voice chat kills immersion if your not playing something remotely like yourself (my wife never could get that gruff dwarven voice down *grin*).