PDA

View Full Version : My tokens keep falling through the combat tracker...

The Scriven One
August 28th, 2008, 17:00
I'm using the 4e_JPG ruleset.

As the title says, my tokens keep falling through the combat tracker when I drag them to the tracker. The same thing happens whether it's an NPC or a PC.

I'm a newbie, so I'm probably just doing something wrong. I'd like to figure out how to solve this issue, though, because it was one of the things that made me have to cut last session short.

Thanks in advance.

Griogre
August 28th, 2008, 17:57
I hate to tell you this, but just keep trying - you are just missing. When you drag and drop a token on the tracker make sure the "fist" holding the token is right in the middle of the dark tan circle on the left end of the line on the tracker when you let go. Everyone misses ocasionally and when you do so the token is dropped on the desktop.

Just in case you don't know, you should rarely have to actually drop a token on the tracker because it is normally better to drop the tokens on the personality before you drag and drop the personality on the tracker because personalities with tokens assigned when drag and dropped on the tracker take their tokens with them and it is less work to put one one goblin token on the personality instead of 6 on the combat tracker after you have dragged out 6 goblins.

The Scriven One
August 28th, 2008, 18:40
Ok, I'm dumb. That works. But now I'm sometimes getting: "attempt to index a nil value". when that happens, the personality doesn't roll initiative, and the attack stats don't show up.

I'm actually trying to fix the monsters for a combat already in progress, which we "paused" last session. Some of the combatants show up fine, and others don't work right. Initially, I was having the problem with all of them, but somehow I got some to work.

Griogre
August 28th, 2008, 18:56
Hmm, do you have the latest version of that ruleset? Are you dragging creatures from a library book directly to the tracker instead of a personality? Are you remaining problems mostly with PCs with the players not logged into the server?

The Scriven One
August 28th, 2008, 19:00
I don't have the latest version of the ruleset, but I'll upgrade immediately.

I'm using a personality, I don't have any books loaded.

I'm the only one logged in.

One thing that seems to help is rolling an attack from the monster's personality sheet before I try to put it into the tracker, but that will give away which monsters I'm using. Sometimes that will be fine, but other times it might ruin the surprise.

The Scriven One
August 28th, 2008, 19:31
Once again, Griogre, you've saved me. I upgraded to the latest version the ruleset, and it works great. I was also able to update the skin via another thread I found in doing so. Very good.

Last session sucked for me- my laptop was having its own issues, and on top of that, I couldn't get the software to work right (1d10t Error- problem lies between keyboard and chair). I was pretty embarrassed, and flustered. I couldn't even get the grid to line up with my map's grid.

Now, I've set up the combat perfectly. I've got my grid on, my monsters properly on the map, including the gnome arcanist that went invisible last round, and I'm ready to rock and roll. I just need to get the maps done for the areas the players might find themselves in next time, and I'm golden.

Griogre
August 28th, 2008, 20:25
One thing that seems to help is rolling an attack from the monster's personality sheet before I try to put it into the tracker, but that will give away which monsters I'm using. Sometimes that will be fine, but other times it might ruin the surprise.
Just a FYI on that bug. Changing to the Powers tab on personalities also initalized the nil values as a work around but it was a pain. :(

One problem with updating the ruleset is you are going to force a new download from your server to the players when your players connect for your next game. If at all possible see if you can get some of your players to connect before the next game. That way you are not trying to serve out the ruleset to all the players at once.

For some reason my players tend to get a fair amount of transfer errors when they get a new ruleset. After the first transfer if they had any transfer problems have them log out and then reconnect and most of the time they get the things that didn't transfer before. It's worth repeating - you can sometimes save yourself a ton of hassels if you can get your players to connect in a staggered fashion, or early to get the transfer prior to your next game. You really will often be better off if you are only pushing out a couple copies of the ruleset at once.