PDA

View Full Version : We had a great time!

zabulus
August 23rd, 2008, 08:09
Yesterday I ran my first adventure with my wife and a befriended couple. They have young children, like we do, so we can't all get together to play AD&D like we used to.
So, they installed the software and got connected (this took about 30-45 mins). They had previously mailed their rolled characters to me and I had already put them in an encompassing campaign with separate modules for background info, monsters and the adventure. When they got connected, all they had to do was find a suitable portrait and we were set to go! A great time was had by all (they got to, like, the fourth room in the dungeon or so) and we will certainly do this again sometime soon! This interface surely makes for easy roleplaying, I put them in a gambling den and things started to happen on their own, I only whispered them some extra background every now and then.
I would like to thank you all for the huge help this game and community are. During my stay on these forums I have learned:
- How to make modules, greatly speeding things up between adventures
- Which ports to open so clients can actually connect (1802-1803)
- Where clients can put their portrait files (on both XP and Vista)
- How to make on-the-fly NPCs using /id (Although a wolf once told the party to roll for initiative *grin*)
- We used the intermission! :)

Thanks again all!

By the way, one question I did get from last night is: Is there a way to place tokens on the map without the players seeing them once you have already shared the map? Especially when you still have to resize the token? Would I place it on my tabletop first, making it the right size and invis and then moving it to the map? Or could I place it in a masked area of the map and they would not be able to see it?

Griogre
August 23rd, 2008, 11:10
I'm glad your game went well.

On the token placement, puting it in a masked area works so you could resize it. You can not resize a token unless it is on the map.

Xorn
August 23rd, 2008, 13:39
I'm really glad your first game went well! I remember the first time my old gaming group was reunited over FG2 last year. We were giddy!

Blue Haven
August 23rd, 2008, 13:41
Or you just could hide the token with the option to be invisible ;)
Hey Zabulus did you mail me?? i´m waiting :)

zabulus
August 23rd, 2008, 14:03
You can only invis tokens already on the map, as well.
Which part of the token has to be on the map for it to be "on the map"? (cannot check at the moment). I have a few tokens that are enormous, those would pose a problem if the center would have to be on the map.

@Blue Haven: I did not mail you yet because I have not yet looked into setting up Yahoo messenger. I chose to actually play in stead :) I'm not too sure I want to set up Yahoo messenger either, it seems something that is very difficult to get rid of again and I am leery of security issues with it.