PDA

View Full Version : Portrait Issue

icedcrow
August 22nd, 2008, 03:57
Ran a test this evening. I put the player portraits in the Portraits folder in the root of my FG directory (not in the campaign portraits folder).

They are not showing up on the client attached to me, only the eight default portraits are showing up.

For grins I put her portrait in the campaign's portrait folder as well and it still does not show up for her to put on her character sheet when s he clicks on her portraits button.

What am I not doing right?

The portrait is a 63px wide png file, though the jpg picture files are also not showing up.

icedcrow
August 22nd, 2008, 04:20
I'd also like to point out that when I open a second instance of FG as a player and log into localhost to simulate being a player, my portraits as a player have the correct portraits. Hers however, do not show still.

Griogre
August 22nd, 2008, 04:39
Portraits come from the clients - not your server (it is almost the only information in FG that actually comes from the client). If you want her to have a portrait it belongs on *her* machine in the portraits folder - not yours. The portraits on your machine are for you when you are a player in another game.

Because she only has the default ones FG installed those are only the ones she sees.

You can actually give her a portrait if you wish by having her make a character and then exit. On the server clear her ownership and then start a second instance of FG as a client (you need to change your user name) then select a different portrait from your list of portraits. Exit out and clear the ownership again so she can now log in and she will have the new portrait.

You can also edit the pic in the campaign folder directly but it’s easier to e-mail her the pic so she can drop into her portrait folder or change it via a second instance.

icedcrow
August 22nd, 2008, 13:20
Yeah as I was laying there about to sleep last night, what you said just now dawned on me.

Thanks for the response. =)

Xorn
August 22nd, 2008, 13:37
Incidentally, the actual portrait in the campaign is in the portraits folder for the campaign, but it will have the .png extension removed. Griogre's method is easiest, although instead of clearing ownership, I just log in with their name real fast and assign the portrait for them.

(This is handy if you want to put a picture of your cat's head in place of an annoying player's portrait before the next game. Not that I have.)

Valarian
August 22nd, 2008, 22:20
You can also give the character a portrait from the server by placing the image in the campaign portraits directory. The file name has to equal the id number of the character in the campaign.xml file. It shouldn't have an extension. (e.g. id0001)

This is the name given to the portrait when a character is assigned a portrait on the player's PC and it's uploaded to the server during play. Have a look in the portraits directory after a player has assigned a portrait and you'll see an example of a file.