PDA

View Full Version : 4E Screenshots (KOTS)

mr_h
August 21st, 2008, 14:43
Thought I'd share a couple of screenshots from my game last night. We're using the 4E ruleset developed at JPG, with the skins made by devinknight. It's pretty nice stuff:)

Anyhow, last night my crew made their way to the Kobold Lair in KOTS. There's only four of them (Human Warlord, Dragonborn Paladin, Human Wizard, and a Halfling Rogue (the rogues technically my PC but another character plays him...we switch off DMs). ).

Approaching the Kobold Lair (https://img118.imageshack.us/img118/7375/kots1rs6.jpg) - This was actually a rather funny part. They managed to get up close without seeing, and just as the Warlord started discussing a sneak attack strategy, the Wizard just walked through the forest and blasted a Kobold with Scorching Burst. So much for sneak attacks.

Break Time ! (https://img118.imageshack.us/img118/2007/kots2tf0.jpg) - We always have an interruption right in the middle of a heated battle.

The Battle Rages On (https://img118.imageshack.us/img118/5702/kots3bb1.jpg) - Almost done...the Halfling was taking out the kobold minons with his sling and scoring criticals on every other attack. Such a waste... (The upside down kobolds are dead ones...)

The Final Battle (https://img118.imageshack.us/img118/8533/kots4ou3.jpg) - This one was a doozey for the guys, with a couple of close calls, but they managed to pull it out. In one round the Paladin and Rogue scored some nasty hits on the big boss, sending him into a rage before the Warlord dispatched him.

I've learned that even if I reduce the XP value of encounters for a smaller group, the # of bad guys can make battles linger on a bit longer then we would like. Oh well, we'll learn :)

Sorontar
August 21st, 2008, 15:52
Love those OotS tokens ........ Head hats all around :D

Oberoten
August 21st, 2008, 16:22
I have t agree on the OOTS tokens. They are made out of WIN.

mr_h
August 21st, 2008, 16:24
Thanks. I found a good guide on how to make them online. For the record they're all made by me, but I used some OOTS comics as guidelines, espically for the monsters (So they're not exact copies.)

They're fun to make, and easy once you get the hang of it. My players were cracking up over them.

Here's the party in a lineup
https://img118.imageshack.us/img118/985/thepartyao7.png

Oberoten
August 21st, 2008, 16:43
Can you share the guide? Or an URL to it?

mr_h
August 21st, 2008, 16:48
Oh, duh, I forgot to include that in my second post. I'm so smart today....

https://www.trazoi.net/tutorials/inkscape/oots/

I think as long as you make'em for personal use it's alright. I did put some of his as reference material and use it as guidelines for creating my own. Sharing is probably right out. One suggestion: Make templates...it makes things a lot easier. I have one for each of the races as I make them, plus an items template (if you look the swords that the halfling, kobolds, and warlord have are identical).

devinnight
August 22nd, 2008, 01:15
Those tokens are great.
I really like your intermission idea as well.

Does using tokens like that tend to add a bit more fun to the game.. it would seem that the psychology of using those tokens would lead to more laughing and just overall more fun.

-D

Andugus
August 22nd, 2008, 01:23
I love that intermission idea. Would you be willing to share the graphic for that? For non commercial private use?

mr_h
August 22nd, 2008, 01:24
One of my players said that it was definitely more light hearted :) We're a pretty laid back group anyhow, so they enjoyed having them there. Every time I introduced a new set of them they chuckled. I hope I can keep up on making them...Rich (author of OOTS) has done most the creatures, it does give you something nice to work off of.

The intermission graphics my brother found, I just put them together and added the stuff. It seemed like a quick way to know if everyone is back. That graphic I share if anyone wants it :b

Edit: Heh.....1 minute before I posted and someone asked :) Here's a copy of the intermission picture, have at :)https://dtg134.defenderhosting.com/~mrh/FG/Intermission.jpg

Xorn
August 22nd, 2008, 04:24
This is just... awesome.

Griogre
August 22nd, 2008, 05:00
LOL, I love the OotS counters. :) The intermission is pretty cool also. I went and did most of the tutorial it was pretty fun - and something I could do with my general total lack of artistic talent. :p

3darkman
August 22nd, 2008, 12:39
LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL OotS rulezzzzzz. very good!!!!!!

chipmafia
September 26th, 2008, 15:06
https://mikechipman37.googlepages.com/xandorfallon.png

Thanks for providing the tutorial on how to do that. I love those tokens.

I made one for my new LFR character -

storminj
October 3rd, 2008, 17:28
If someone already purchased KOTS but had not converted it into a FG module is there some resource to find it or does it have to be scanned and entered from scratch?

**Edit**

Also, is there place where lots of OOTS like images are stored? I do not know if I could make without special software.

unerwünscht
October 3rd, 2008, 17:40
Check the forums on their site, There are TONS of images there, and you might even be able to ask nicely and get permission to distribute some of them in exchange for including a link back to the site, most of the people there are very awesome.

mr_h
October 4th, 2008, 04:31
Also, is there place where lots of OOTS like images are stored? I do not know if I could make without special software.

Some people on the Order of the Stick Forum probably have some you can use, but I'd check to make sure they are alright with you using them first (I guess personal, private usage doesn't tend to cause problems).

As for making them, the tutorial I linked to shows how. It's actually relativly easy once you do one or two of them. The hardest part tends to be "hrm...do I want this guy holding his arm up, or down...".

The program the tutorial uses is Inkscape (https://www.inkscape.org/), a free, open source program.

Talen
October 7th, 2008, 00:49
Very nice...our group had talked about running an OOTS flavored game as a one shot - it looks great! Definitely have to try to get enough characters made for an adventure!

Avandar
October 24th, 2008, 15:48
Awesome tokens.

I'm new to Fantasy Grounds (I've barely started using it), but I plan to run a few campaigns with my friends.

I'm currently running KOTS in a live game, but I may be moving away for work and would like to continue running it.

Mind if I ask how you got the KOTS maps into Fantasy Grounds?

zabulus
October 24th, 2008, 16:38
You can scan them in any regular graphics format and put them in the \images folder of your campaign. You can even do this on the fly, which is great for quickly looking up an image on the internet and using it while playing.

Aenthan
October 27th, 2008, 06:20
I just downloaded FG2 for the first time. I'm literally drooling over the possiblities! But I'm 30 so it might be senility setting in. This rocks!

wigwam
October 28th, 2008, 09:33
Great icons, great intermission image.
Looks like you all have fun!

Nurgling
January 12th, 2009, 16:20
Old thread I know, but still wanted to comment on those cool Order of the Stick tokens, and the intermission sign. Good stuff!

:)

Astinus
January 13th, 2009, 01:52
I'm glad you bumped this thread. It's really cool!

I was hoping to grab the intermission pic but it seems to be removed from the thread? Is it still around/shareable? My group would love it.

nezzir
January 13th, 2009, 05:37
Haha! I love those. I'm doing the tutorial now. I'm using CC3 to make them, exporting them to .jpg, then cleaning them up and making them into .png in GIMP.

Do you have these tokens up somewhere for download? I'd love to do a token swap with you.

mr_h
January 13th, 2009, 13:36
Glad you guys like'em....the sad part is after I posted these, my group got extremly busy and I haven't been able to play D&D in ...gosh, a couple months?:( I'm having RPG withdrawl. Auuuuugh!

I've got the Tokens at home, I'll try and remember to post them when I get home.

As for the intermission picture, here ya go.

https://mrh.boxofgeeks.net/DnD/FG/Intermission.jpg

Astinus
January 13th, 2009, 22:34
Ahh, thanks mr_h. Appreciate it!

ShadoWWW
January 15th, 2009, 13:55
nezzir Excelent job!

ozziewolf
January 30th, 2009, 15:09
I wish I'd seen this thread sooner... those tokens and intermission map are awesome!

I'm really glad you shared it with us.

I was actually thinking about making a bunch of OoTS style tokens myself for general use but in the end I didn't think any one would really be interested in playing with comical tokens in a D&D setting.

Tenian
January 30th, 2009, 15:23
A one shot played with OOTS tokens in a world written along the lines of Songs Of Sorcelation would be the most totally ripped fantasy one shot ever. A one shot that takes it to the limit, extreme.

ozziewolf
January 30th, 2009, 15:30
If you create the adventure I will create the tokens Tenian! :p

Tenian
January 30th, 2009, 15:40
Bruno Cleave (vs AC) [at Kobold Minion 1] [25]
Bruno Cleave [8] Damage [at Kobold Minion 1]
Bruno Cleave [4] Damage [at Kobold Minion 2]

With a grim and determined squint Bruno reached behind the nearest Kobold, it was time to take it to the limit. In the blink of an eye Bruno ripped the spine from the Kobold and used it to beat a second kobold to death.

The remaining Kobolds looked on in horror, for they had just witnessed true bad-assery. Bad-assery to the extreme.

ozziewolf
January 30th, 2009, 16:35
Branching off into its own thread so as not to derail this topic!

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?p=69146#post69146

nezzir
April 30th, 2009, 14:00
I'm getting ready to start my 4th ed campaign and I've been working on a few OOTS tokens. I didn't create this one, I just processed it, but I thought it was just too funny not to share - lol.

(edit)
For your roleplaying pleasure, I present 'Trogdor's Theme Song':

<!--Artist: Strong Bad--><!--Song: Trogdor-->TROGDOR!
TROGDOR!

Trogdor was a man
I mean, he was a dragon man
Or maybe he was just a dragon

But he was still TROGDOR!
TROGDOR!

Burninating the countryside,
Burninating the peasants
Burninating all the peoples
And their thatched-roof COTTAGES!

THATCHED-ROOF COTTAGES!

(Woah, this has wicked dueling guitar solos!
It's like, Squeedly versus Meedley over here.
Go Squeedly!
Go Squeedly!
SQUEEDLY WINS!)

When all the land is in ruin,
And burnination has forsaken the countryside,
Only one guy will remain.

My money's on TROGDOR!
TROGDOR!

And theTrogdor comes in the NIIIGHT...

mr_h
April 30th, 2009, 14:48
I'm getting ready to start my 4th ed campaign and I've been working on a few OOTS tokens. I didn't create this one, I just processed it, but I thought it was just too funny not to share - lol.

That one should throw your characters off:)

I made some more tokens (mostly monsterS) for my 4E campaign, then my group decieded to switch over to Gurps instead....so I gotta start making WWII character tokens. :b

nezzir
May 1st, 2009, 11:57
That one should throw your characters off:)

I made some more tokens (mostly monsterS) for my 4E campaign, then my group decieded to switch over to Gurps instead....so I gotta start making WWII character tokens. :b

Feel free to share those monsters :)

Here's a few new ones (The stirge hasn't been processed yet):

nezzir
May 1st, 2009, 11:59
More figures:

nezzir
May 1st, 2009, 12:00
Yet more figures!

nezzir
May 1st, 2009, 12:04
And here are some of the contact and source sheets that I'm getting portraits from and making tokens with. I use Token Tool to make the portraits.

mr_h
May 1st, 2009, 14:26
The problem with my monsters is that some fo them are all 'but' copies of Rich's monsters...it was just faster to take what he had. So I don't think it's possible to post those up for the general public :(

But a preview picture of them can be found here. (https://mrh.boxofgeeks.net/OOTSTokens/Previews/TokenPreviews1.png)

Edit: Whoops, let's just link to a large image instead of showing it.