PDA

View Full Version : Campaign Tokens and visibility to players

icedcrow
August 21st, 2008, 02:36
Saturday is the big day where we launch our first game and I had a question.

I'm putting tokens in campaign folders but I notice the documentation says "tokens placed in the campaign tokens folder can only be seen by the DM"...

Does that mean that anything I place on the map from these tokens will not be seen by the players? Or does that mean they can't just open the token box and start pulling them out? (I've never run a FG game yet so I don't know how it all works)

Griogre
August 21st, 2008, 02:58
It means that they can't open their token box and see the tokens. Players normally only see the tokens you have in your shared directory. There is a bug in FG they have not yet fixed that does allow players to see the token(s) in their token box *after* you have placed the token on the map, though.

icedcrow
August 21st, 2008, 03:17
Alright so what I'm doing is in my MAIN campaign I am putting character tokens, and in my adventure campaign I export, all of the monster tokens.

Is this the right path?

Griogre
August 21st, 2008, 03:30
You can do it that way. You might find it convient to place PC tokens in the global tokens\Host folder\CampaignName. This way whenever you start a new campaign *all* the PC tokens will always be available to you. If you always place the PC tokens in you main campaign you will eventually have duplicate PC tokens in every campaign that uses the same genre.

You may also wish to place PC tokens in host\shared\CampaignName so the players can get out their own tokens. If you have new players I would avoid this though because you want them to use tokens you have placed on the combat tracker and dragged off. If say you are running 4th ed you might want to put tokens they can use for marks, curses, ect in shared though. When I ran 3.5 D&D I use to keep Horses, Riding Dogs, Mules and Summoned Creature tokens in shared. Actually they are still there. :)