PDA

View Full Version : FG2 on Vista 64-bit

mac40k
August 20th, 2008, 22:13
I'm thinking about buying a new computer to replace my 4 yr old laptop, which is starting to show its age. I'm naturally leaning towards the biggest honking machine I can afford and right now that's looking like an Intel Core 2 Quad machine with Windows 64-bit OS. Before I pull the trigger, I want to make sure FG2 will run on this machine/OS combo. I've read posts on other boards about some 32-bit software having problems running on the 64-bit machines, so I'm a little leery.

Foen
August 21st, 2008, 06:07
I have Vista Business x64 and FG runs without any problems at all. If you are going big, you might want to consider a large screen or dual display - I use 1600x1200 and sometime wish I had more screen real estate.

Foen

mac40k
August 21st, 2008, 17:09
Thanks for the quick reply. As for display, that's another reason for the upgrade. My laptop has 17" widescreen (1440x900) display and it's not really enough screen real estate when I join someone else's campaign as a player, so I know I'll need more room to host. I'm leaning towards dual 22" Samsung 2253BW displays. It's about $50 more for 2 of them vs. a single 24". Even though they are 1680x1050 vs the 24"er's 1920x1200, I think dual 22's is a better route to go than a single 24" (and I can't stretch to spring for dual 24's) to maximize screen real estate.

Griogre
August 21st, 2008, 21:53
My experiece is you are usually better cost wise with dual "one size down" than the biggest monitor you can afford. Sometimes prices are wierd though.

Foen
August 21st, 2008, 21:58
Something to do, I think, with manufacturers having to make defect-free screens of a certain size:

If the screen size is twice as big, you have twice the chance of a defect but probably four-times the cost. A manufacturer making two smaller screens can have a defect on one and throw it away and still have one good screen left over (less waste).

Or something.

Stuart

Judokas
August 26th, 2008, 03:22
I use Vista 64 ultimate two things that have affected me are:

1. Cannot host a Vent server (only Vista 32 at this time).
2. FG2 loses mouse pointer control. This may be common but if I run it in windowed mode this doesn't happen. It may be because I have two screens and when I am maxed in FG2 it fills one but I still browse to the other.

I also run WAR and to do this and have vent on you need to run it in admin mode. Other then that I have not had any issues (and I get full use of the 4G of RAM)

mac40k
August 26th, 2008, 17:31
What do you mean by lose mouse control? And when you say run in windowed mode, does that just mean in a window rather than full screen? I'm going to have a dual display setup too. Can I size the FG window to basically take up the whole first display (but still in a window) and still use the second display for browser and Skype?

Griogre
August 26th, 2008, 19:52
That's is how I do it. The issue is FG when full screen, in particular, always expects to have the focus. I use two screens and just drag FG so it is still windowed and covers up everything on my first screen but the task bar. I use my second screen for Teampeak, and either a browser or PDF much of the time. You just need to get in the habit of giving FG back the focus after you use another app by clicking the FG titlebar.

Edit: Typos - I hates them, yes I do...

Illrigger
August 26th, 2008, 21:43
Same issue, same solution here. Run windowed, and stretch the screen - it saves a LOT of pain when swapping in and out.