PDA

View Full Version : Export leading to Error?

Talen
August 19th, 2008, 18:12
Whenever I load FGII now, I'm getting an "Error on line 44: Error Reading Attributes" message. Sometimes the error occurs at some other line. This occured after re-exporting an adventure module I am making...and more specifically after I added an additional token by dragging every token previously added plus a new one. Any idea how to eliminate the error? It seems to be leading to some funky problems...sometimes the story entries dont show up, Ill close down and come back in and then the personalities dont appear...any idea what may be leading to this or how to fix?

On a related note...I had a mild heart attack when I reexported and thought I neglected to included the stopry, maps etc and had used the same file name previously exported (and believing I had overwritten the previous export which had the info I needed.) Is there any way to restore if I do make such a boneheaded move and have not backed up?

Talen
August 19th, 2008, 22:14
Gah! the error message says its my db.xml file in the campaign I'm loading...If I load my adventure mod in that campaign, Illl get inconsistant errors...like the items wont load one time, another time its something else, and sometimes it works. If I create a new campaign and attempt to load the mod in the new campaign (with, presumably no issues in the db.xml file), NOTHING shows up in the items, story or other areas.

Please tell me theres an easy fix and Im just messing something up....

Griogre
August 19th, 2008, 23:02
Whenever I load FGII now, I'm getting an "Error on line 44: Error Reading Attributes" message. Sometimes the error occurs at some other line. This occured after re-exporting an adventure module I am making...and more specifically after I added an additional token by dragging every token previously added plus a new one. Any idea how to eliminate the error? It seems to be leading to some funky problems...sometimes the story entries dont show up, Ill close down and come back in and then the personalities dont appear...any idea what may be leading to this or how to fix? You have something bad in the XML around line 44 of the db.xml file. It could be on line 43. Probably an atribute is malformed (that is the part of the line that is in double quotes (").

On a related note...I had a mild heart attack when I reexported and thought I neglected to included the stopry, maps etc and had used the same file name previously exported (and believing I had overwritten the previous export which had the info I needed.) Is there any way to restore if I do make such a boneheaded move and have not backed up?
As long as you don't erase the module campaign you can always go back an re-export. This is probably a reason why you *don't* want to use just one campaign to make all modules. I fiddle and tweak with my modules alot so I always leave them in seperate campaigns. You do end up with a bunch of campaigns - but they don't take much space so it's never bothered me, personally.

Griogre
August 19th, 2008, 23:11
Gah! the error message says its my db.xml file in the campaign I'm loading...If I load my adventure mod in that campaign, Illl get inconsistant errors...like the items wont load one time, another time its something else, and sometimes it works. If I create a new campaign and attempt to load the mod in the new campaign (with, presumably no issues in the db.xml file), NOTHING shows up in the items, story or other areas.

Please tell me theres an easy fix and Im just messing something up....
It sounds like you may have some coruption problems - are you clicking on the right tab for the adventure module? Also load the module campaign and make sure the items are really there.

Talen
August 19th, 2008, 23:45
From my luddite perspective, I think it has to be a corruption problem because its a different problem each time I load the campaign and attempt to open the adventure module. I guess at this point Im almost resigned to having to do all the work over again....just want to make sure I dont repeat whatever lead to the problem, except Im not sure what lead to the problem.

I was hoping I could re export when the tabs load properly (it happens), but even when I start with the tabs populated, when I reload again, the intermittant problems come up again

Talen
August 19th, 2008, 23:55
and a new twist....when I load an adventure that someone else made (and had no issues previously) in a new campaign, the tabs are not showing here now as well. Looks like Ill try to back up the fuiles and do a new install of FG II...

Xorn
August 20th, 2008, 00:45
Make sure that you have at least one entry for Story, Images/Maps, Personalities, and Items in the "host" campaign before you load a module. In the event that you still aren't seeing the tabs, go into the module window and close the book, then reopen it.

Lastly, in your adventure campaign, make sure that none of your entries (in the above windows) have any non-alpha-numeric characters in them. (Certain symbols, like parenthesis, are fine, but just to make sure, get rid of anything that isn't 0-9 or A-Z.)

Oh, and if you make a new campaign, make sure they are using the right ruleset.

zabulus
August 20th, 2008, 13:22
Xorn's advice about having at least 1 entry before opening your module is a sound one. I have experienced "loss" of story items myself, where they suddenly reappeared when I created and deleted a new story-item.
I haven't checked fully into this, since I was about to quit when this happened, but I noticed different "seals" on the story window. Are these the "tabs" I hear people talk about? I had a feeling when my story-entries were not showing, they might be under another seal.

Talen
August 20th, 2008, 15:16
I think Im functional, but Im nervous because the error keeps coming in from time-to-time and I dont want a major crash midway through the adventure.

Here's my current situation:

I've uninstalled (inlclding the application folder), reinstalled and placed the adventure mod in the new mods folder. I've created a new host campaign several times without loading the adventure mod at issue and no errors come up. I've created an entry in each tab and saved the host campaign prior to loading the adevnture mod. When I load the adventure mod for the first time in the host campaign - no issues. When I exit and come back in, the error message comes up again.

When the error comes up, thats when I cant access some of my adevnture mod tabs. Eevn the host campaign tabs (story, maps etc) will occassionally disappear/ However, if I close and reopen the adventure mod as Xorne suggested, I *seeme* to be ok...will the error message create problems for me down the road? Anyway to eliminate the problem all together short of inputting the entire mod together.

Even if I were to redo the whole mod, Im concerned I might trigger the same problem again. I *think* the problem started when I was re-exporting the mod and when getting to the task of exporting tokens, I redropped the previously exported tokens, rather than the host tokens (I id see the warning in Xorne's tutorial, but it didnt click for me till now).

Talen
August 20th, 2008, 15:33
...when re exporting, Im I deleting the entries that I created for the host session prior to loading the module?

Griogre
August 20th, 2008, 20:43
No you should not be *if* they are not edits to the module loaded. If you add them to a module tab then you are editing the module and module edits go away when you close the module.

As you seem to be having problems, I suggest you follow Xorns advice here. Start a new campaign. Add a new entry to each book: story, map, personality, items. Close that campaign. Close FG.

Start FG and open your module campaign and look at the tabs in each book and verify everything is there that should be. Then right click on the red tab at the bottom of one of you book listings and select "Cycle Style" this should turn the tab green. Do this for each book so every tab in the module is green. If you do not have an entry in one of the module books then make one and call it Module Entry. Re-export the module. Do NOT set any Index Groups or Merge ID's when exporting a module (if you need them you can add them later but they may be confusing you now).

Close FG and restart the new campaign and activate your module - if it was already open - open and close it. You should now see two tabs in each book a red and a green one. *Never* add anything you want to *keep* to a green tab in this campaign. If you want to change something on a green tab then reload the module campaign and do so and re-export.

See if that fixes your problems. You seem so close to success. By the way I am assuming you are using FG2 and a M&M ruleset? If the problems presist make a dummy default d20 campaign and adventure module and see if you have the same problem - it is possible, though unlikely, you problems could be because of the M&M ruleset.

Talen
August 21st, 2008, 16:37
Im using the 4e_jpg Ruleset. I'm functional...thank you all for your help....but have some follow-up questions...

When you say "Close that campaign. Close FG."....I always assumed typing /save and right clicking on an open area and selecting "exit program" took care of this...am I mistaken?

Also, I've been following Xorne's tutorial and I'm typing /export when exporting and filling out the fields. The help menu within FGII has the syntax as .export [module_filename] [description]....I'm assuming no difference?

I've taken the steps you described in your last post. Starting a new campaign, creatining an entry in each tab, save, close, relaunch FGII, load module....all fine. The error message occurs whn I exit the program and try to load the host campaign again. At that point, if I try to load the module, I get the wacky stuff (module tabs not showing).

So I say Im functional because *I think* if I start a new campaign and load the module for the first time for my group, Ill be able to run it for them...but concerned when I have to run the next session. also...I have no idea if other errors are going to group up while we play. Also...no luck trying to export tokens...as soon as I try that, no matter how I load the module, the tabs dont work. That why I think the problem occurred when I tryed to rexport tokens from the module rather than from the host tokens...anyway I can go back in time and fix that snafu?

...and thanks for being my personal support desk...the posts have been invaluable in helping me understand what I did wrong and fixing it.

Griogre
August 22nd, 2008, 06:41
Im using the 4e_jpg Ruleset. I'm functional...thank you all for your help....but have some follow-up questions...

When you say "Close that campaign. Close FG."....I always assumed typing /save and right clicking on an open area and selecting "exit program" took care of this...am I mistaken? You're correct I should have just said save and close but I wanted to make sure you weren't just using the /reload comand.

Also, I've been following Xorne's tutorial and I'm typing /export when exporting and filling out the fields. The help menu within FGII has the syntax as .export [module_filename] [description]....I'm assuming no difference? Smiteworks did not up date the internal Help commands other than I think they took out /act from FG1 to FG2 (actually we should remind them about that) so that is FG1 syntex wich is obsolete but doesn't hurt either.

I've taken the steps you described in your last post. Starting a new campaign, creatining an entry in each tab, save, close, relaunch FGII, load module....all fine. The error message occurs whn I exit the program and try to load the host campaign again. At that point, if I try to load the module, I get the wacky stuff (module tabs not showing). Do you get a crash on exit? There may be several causes for that do to entries or pins.

So I say Im functional because *I think* if I start a new campaign and load the module for the first time for my group, Ill be able to run it for them...but concerned when I have to run the next session. also...I have no idea if other errors are going to group up while we play. Also...no luck trying to export tokens...as soon as I try that, no matter how I load the module, the tabs dont work. That why I think the problem occurred when I tryed to rexport tokens from the module rather than from the host tokens...anyway I can go back in time and fix that snafu? I would suggest you don't do any token exporting in the module and see if it makes a differance.

...and thanks for being my personal support desk...the posts have been invaluable in helping me understand what I did wrong and fixing it. You're welcome. You seem to be so close to success.