PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Broadband

scytale2
August 11th, 2008, 20:24
I have recently set up FG on my mobile broadband, with a hope that I could run it through the mobile wireless "3" system, wherever I was.

FG, of course, appears to work flawlessly, but I cannot connect to the mobile laptop, through either the alias or IP address, even from my desktop a few feet away.

This must be a problem that people have solved, but I cannot find a solution on the boards. Could someone advise what I have to do or point me to an appropriate post on the boards?

I bought a licence specifically to use through the mobile system, so I hope I won't have to ask for a refund:)

Many thanks.

Sorontar
August 11th, 2008, 20:57
This is the thing with the small USB modem that you plug in is it? Which one?

Does that have port restrictions on it?

Edit- Beginning to read comments that most ports are blocked, but I assume port 80 won't be so maybe change the port FG uses. I'm assuming the laptop is the host here.

Griogre
August 11th, 2008, 21:14
The real issue with Wireless LAN's is you don't control the router. This means you can't port forward 1802, so you can't host normally, but you can play.

You can host over a wireless WAN if you use a VPN, though. I have seen quite a few people report success using Himatchi. The basic service is free: https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/vpn.asp?lang=en
Any VPN should work though.

scytale2
August 11th, 2008, 22:09
I'll certainly experiment on Hamachi, but I am completely clueless about what it is and what it does and why I need it! I'm guessing WAN = Wide Area Network, but what does VPN mean?

Testing now...will report back

Sorontar
August 11th, 2008, 22:21
I'll certainly experiment on Hamachi, but I am completely clueless about what it is and what it does and why I need it! I'm guessing WAN = Wide Area Network, but what does VPN mean?

Testing now...will report back

Virtual Private Network (https://www.howstuffworks.com/vpn.htm)

Griogre
August 11th, 2008, 22:27
VPN = Virtual Private Network. Basically it simulates a small network inside of a larger one. Typically in business applications these are used to make a secure network inside of a non secure one. For FG all you care about is it will effectively give you control over your ports while running the VPN so you will be able to host.

The downside of VPNs is you are adding another network layer so there is more overhead in the network transactions.

scytale2
August 11th, 2008, 23:23
Right - I now have the two computers linked together using Hamachi. What now? They still won't connect using the alias or do I need to use an IP address?

scytale2
August 11th, 2008, 23:28
OMG - it's working!!!
I use the Hamachi IP as the IP for people to log onto. Many thanks, we will try this for real shortly.

Griogre
August 12th, 2008, 00:21
Glad you got it working. :)

Sorontar
August 12th, 2008, 00:50
OMG - it's working!!!
I use the Hamachi IP as the IP for people to log onto. Many thanks, we will try this for real shortly.
Excellent, let us know what the performance is like using the 3 network could you?

scytale2
August 19th, 2008, 22:29
Ok, well you wanted a report on this.

Firstly, Hamachi worked great. It even allowed us to connect when the FG server was down over the weekend, which was excellent.

However, the 3 Network simply wasn't up to transporting the data. Maps took ages to appear, tokens too and chat test sometimes took up to a minute to appear, making things unplayable. I will hastily add that I had 7 players logged on and this may have caused the problem, so I will want to try it with fewer players. Also, preloading the maps would certainly be important. This was Sunday morning, so internet usage could have been high, which would have slowed things down.

What did not happen is more than 1 or 2 disconnects, so this was not problematic.

3 Network is supposed to be a 3Mb connection, so it doesn't bode well for hosting the game overseas on a 256K connection, which was my hope, but you never know.

Does anyone have any views on the subject? Or can anyone suggest a provider that could give a better service than 3? Do I need a dedicated satellite line?

Astinus
August 20th, 2008, 03:17
I think you can do just fine with a 256K connection.

I'm on dial up and I host with five players and use VOIP. The key is to use modules to pre-distribute your images/maps before game time. And a low bandwidth VOIP codec like some of those offered by TeamSpeak.

I wrote a post about this when I first got it working. The Devs put it in the FAQ: here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=51689&postcount=1)

If you have any questions I'm more than happy to help. I feel the pain of slow internet every single day. :(

scytale2
August 20th, 2008, 22:43
I think you can do just fine with a 256K connection.

I'm on dial up and I host with five players and use VOIP. The key is to use modules to pre-distribute your images/maps before game time. And a low bandwidth VOIP codec like some of those offered by TeamSpeak.

I wrote a post about this when I first got it working. The Devs put it in the FAQ: here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=51689&postcount=1)

If you have any questions I'm more than happy to help. I feel the pain of slow internet every single day. :(

Yes I did read your post before, which inspired me to try it on the wireless mobile. I don't, however, know how to draw up modules, and was concerned that this might need a complete rewrite of the module. Is there a post on this?

Also, the mobile system does seem to be very variable, which is not the same as a consistent 56k modem. Players found the lag very annoying.

Astinus
August 21st, 2008, 05:13
My computer was stolen so I don't have FG installed right now. But from memory:

Create a campaign, or open an existing one. Add all the images you need in the Images folder for that campaign.

Then in the chat box type: /export

Then fill in the relevant fields. Filename etc. It's here that you want to check Images as "Client" data, but don't check it for the "Index". That way the images load locally but the players can't access them in the library.

When you're done, right click (I think) and there should be an option to export the module. It will appear in your Modules folder. Then after you email that to players, they just need to drop it in their Modules folder.

During the game, you just force load the module.

I'm sure there's a much better tutorial around, but that's the basics of it.

As for the reliability of mobile broadband, you might be right. I've never tried it. But I've seen people have 3G video phone chats in Australia, which would be hard on dial up. Could you just use dial up instead? Good luck!

Astinus
August 21st, 2008, 05:24
I should add, you can keep your existing modules/campaigns structured however you like. No need for re-writes. You just need to distribute a module for the images you want to share. You can open that module and access the images in any other campaign, in combination with other modules, assuming you're using the same ruleset.

scytale2
August 22nd, 2008, 19:36
Excellent - another piece of functionality I didn't know existed. I must test this out before I leave.

Many thanks.

scytale2
August 25th, 2008, 23:15
Ok, am trying this module distribution.

It doesn't seem to be working, as players aren't able to see the module, even if they have it placed in their Modules folder. Do you need a DM licence for it to work?

Do I have to import it?

Basically it's not making any difference. I am ticking H on the export, should I be ticking anything else?

Griogre
August 26th, 2008, 00:17
Just so we are on the same page, the goal here is to make an image module so the players don't need you to transfer them the images to them during the game and that you can send to them ahead of time.

When making a module like that create a new campaign, then drop whatever images in it you need. Then export it by checking Images & Maps and then checking the "C" not the default "H."

Distribute this module to your players via e-mail, ect and have them drop it in their module folder. The players will not see the module on their lists of modules and have to do nothing other than drop it in their module folder.

During the game open the image module and force load it. Now when you share the map from that image module it will be loaded locally instead of you having to transfer it.

Note I'm going from memory here, the problem is you checked H instead of C from what I can tell and maybe didn't force load.

Foen
August 26th, 2008, 06:24
Griogre is right: a C is a client-side module and an H is a host-side module. Although you only need to 'allow' the module on the host, it is better to 'force' it. An allowed module is only opened if the player wants to (and knows how to), whereas a forced module is loaded whether the player wants to or not.

Make sure, as host, that you share the image from the same module: if you have another version in your campaign folder, or in another module (say a master module for your adventure) FG wont know to use the client version. So the host also needs a copy of the client module loaded.

Stuart

scytale2
August 26th, 2008, 19:18
Ok, many thanks, I will retry with this procedure.

scytale2
September 1st, 2008, 18:00
Well, to confirm, this "modular procedure" worked very well with a few players.

Griogre
September 1st, 2008, 21:09
Scytale, out of curiosity did the procedure work well with a few players - because you only had a few players; or because it failed with a large number of players?

scytale2
September 1st, 2008, 22:11
I have my suspicions that it will not work as well with my Sunday group, which has 7 players. We tried this on the mobile (but no modules) and FG was unplayable, due to lag on chat. I am not certain that the modules will help with this (although they might). I have not tested it yet. WIll keep informed.

Astinus
December 4th, 2008, 16:51
Scytale, I'd be interested to hear how you're going on the mobile internet connection. I've finally moved off dial up onto a 3g mobile connection, but port 1802 seems to be closed, so I'll have to try Hamachi.

Does every client also need Hamachi installed?

Griogre
December 4th, 2008, 20:42
All the clients need to have Hamachi installed. Hamachi sets up a VPN and everyone needs to be connected to the VPN (Virtual Private Network). In this case all you are doing with the VPN using it to allow access to the ports the host needs to function - with is kinda overkill - but it works and its pretty easy to setup.

Astinus
December 5th, 2008, 16:08
All the clients need to have Hamachi installed. Hamachi sets up a VPN and everyone needs to be connected to the VPN (Virtual Private Network). In this case all you are doing with the VPN using it to allow access to the ports the host needs to function - with is kinda overkill - but it works and its pretty easy to setup.

Thanks Griogre. Do you know if this extra VPN layer adds much in terms of bandwidth consumption? The 3G network isn't overly fast as it is. Or would it be simpler to find a port that's open and change the FG port?

Griogre
December 5th, 2008, 19:04
There is some extra overhead on the network. I'm not really sure how much, probably a few extra bytes per packet. I was a little minimal when describing the VPN as allowing access to ports on the VPN. The problem isn't so much finding an open port as the host also needs to have the open port forwarded to his computer. Without control of the router port forwarding is not possible. A VPN allows this to happen also.