PDA

View Full Version : Next Dilemna: Powers & Equipment

ShadeRaven
August 9th, 2008, 03:13
While I recognize that the limited nature of each might mean that inputting them individually is no big deal, still, a part of me would like to at least create a running compilation of that which has been employed.

So, therefore I am hoping someone can give me insight into the reuse of Powers and Equipment.

The Sample Module from FUM gives me a couple of indexes that show me what I am hoping to replicate. First, there’s equipment. The fun, silly ones that they have still show a lot of potential for using this. So I create a Longsword, pop it in a library I am building, and voila, it can be called upon again in the future. So with that in mind, I sought to use the structure from FUM to test out my own additions. That’s where the trouble begins.

I have no idea (other than on a character sheet) where the Item can be stored. It can’t be dragged into the Items category of the base module. Somehow, though, these were fields that could be created and exported. In other words, it doesn’t seem possible for me to replicate the same thing to create an index of base items.

Same holds true for powers. I could open up the examples, drag them to character sheets, but I don’t see how I could use that as the structure for creating my own for export.

Sadly, I don’t see an editable file to go into directly to add the information. No .XML file to open up to see what the structure is.

I rather dislike the feeling of being lost, I must say. :P

Tenian
August 9th, 2008, 03:42
In the 4E_JPG ruleset:

The "items" window is used for magic items. Not for standard items. In a future update you will be able to drop basic items onto the magic item as part of building a complete magic item. But until 1.0.2 is released this will not be available.

There is no way, within FG to create new basic items and export them.

The same is true of powers.

Karazax
August 9th, 2008, 04:00
Yep, your stuck with opening the Sample phb.mod file with winzip or winrar, then taking the xml files and editing them with notepad, or preferably with notepad ++ or an xml editor you have downloaded if you want the powers and equipment in without using the parser. Figuring out how to copy the sample format and entering the info by hand is time consuming but not quite as technically difficult to figure out as getting the parser to work, at least for me. That being said, once I got the parser figured out with Tenian's help, I was able to do things much faster and I quickly made up the day or so of figuring out what I was doing. Using an XML editor or notepad ++ makes it alot easier to read the lines and work though if you go the edit by hand route, and helps when editing stuff for the parser too.

ShadeRaven
August 9th, 2008, 06:09
Ah well, thank you. I was afraid it was something like that. I can't wait to see the next phase/version of 4E_JPG Tenian. If there's anything I can do to aid in the process, I would be more than willing to contribute.

I downloaded a XML Editor, so I'll keep that in mind, Karazax. My wife just returned from Singapore, so the last 2 days have been all about her and family time, but I fully intend on finding a way to get a grasp of the Parser. It seems too good to pass up, if I can get my mind wrapped around it. If there's any particular advise you can give on how you closed the gap, I'd love to hear it. Regardless, I am trying to assimilate all the sometimes over my head information out on FUM's forum on that subject that I can.

Thanks again! You guys are awesome.
SR

Karazax
August 9th, 2008, 17:05
Well I posted some "directions" on the FUM site, though I don't know how clear they are considering I wrote them after getting it working, it is possible I skipped a step. But if you have looked them over give me some feed back and I will try and edit them to make them clearer. They are in the Parser directions thread as a txt file download in the 4e forum.

For me having never used a parser before, I didn't have any clue what all the different files listed were at first, and the first version of the parser didn't check to make sure you had valid paths for all the file locations so getting that working was the most time consuming part for me, but with Tenian's help I got that working and from there entering the non-paragon powers for each class is a pretty easy first project to work on.

Tenian
August 9th, 2008, 17:46
Really, running the parser is pretty easy...there's only a few options. The hard part is all the set up. You should look at the sample source files, these are where you would have to enter data. Sometimes the data you have to enter is exactly like the core books...other times you need to do some edits (I call it markup).

Based on what you've asked about in this thread, you would need to make entries into armor_dragon.txt, equipment_dragon.txt,weapons_dragon.txt for all the inventory items. To parse powers you would need race.txt, class.txt and phb_dragon.txt

If you can figure out the structure of those files, then you should easily be able to add your own data and make your own module. The only thing you would have to work out is the paths of the various files, which shouldn't be that difficult.

ShadeRaven
August 9th, 2008, 21:43
Yeah, thanks. I read through Kar's post and write-up on the whole thing. At this point, I am working on getting the files set up for it. The pathing isn't so bad as trying to get the structure right with the text files. Dividing out the fluff, all that.

I assume the same sort of process holds true for doing the same thing for the MM.

Thanks again!
SR