PDA

View Full Version : Fg Crpg?

Draugr
August 8th, 2008, 18:08
Hello everyone.

I was looking for a contact email address for the authors of FG, but there doesn't appear to be any on their site. So, I'll ask my question here.

I really love the look of FG2, and the fact that Castles & Crusades is converted for it is a great idea. Unfortunately, I don't have enough time to dedicate to DM'ing and none of my friends who may have loved this 20 years ago, have the time either. What I wanted to ask and it may have been asked before, is this...

Has Smiteworks ever thoght of creating a CRPG version of FG2? I mean keep all the graphics and layouts the same, but turning FG2 into a computer game version. I play games like two Worlds and Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2. I love RPGs and CRPGs, but I guess I'm still old school at heart. I'd prefer a CRPG like FG2 over any of the new fancy graphics CRPGs.

These are the features I'd love to see in a FG type CRPG.

1. Keep that turn based or semi-turn based structure. Would not be a real-time type game.

2. Same graphical design as FG2. It really captures the feel of old school D&D or fantasy gaming.

3. Keep the character sheet and other functions similar to capture that p&p feel.

4. PCs, NPCs, Monsters, etc... would still be tokens to keep with the pen & paper feel.

5. Maps & such would remain similar to FG2.

6. The software would have the ability to run as a server where players could connect to the server, form a party and pick from a list of available adventures on the server. When a player or players complete an adventure, their character progress and loot carries on with them and they can go back to the server main chat room or tavern and continue on another adventure.

7. Keep the following FG2 abilities within the CRPG version.
A) Ruleset creation
B) Token and Art Add-On ability
C) Adventure and Campaign creation

Basically the game would keep all the great features of FG2, add some features needed to turn a FG2 type program into a full fledged old school CRPG that allowed multiple players to meet in a central room or tavern, group together and then choose which module to play. The game would then load that module and the players would egin the adventure of a lifetime. :)

Well, I'm sorry for the long post, but i feel strongly about this. I mean there are a few programs out there like FG, but FG looks the nicest and if I had people to play with, I'm sure its probably the best. Seeing a computer role playing game version of this would be the perfect application/game for a PC and I BET it would sell like crazy. I truly hope Smiteworks is thinking about this, and hopefully plans on producing such a program, man my heart is pounding and my imagination is really kicking in on the thoughts of such a program. I know I'd pay $$$$ for such a gaming suite.

Thanks for reading
John

Sorontar
August 8th, 2008, 19:17
If this happened I'd show my arse on the town hall steps (if that isn't a deterrent I don't know what is :D), I somewhat think the jump from Smiteworks to Bioware would be a huge one.

Tenian
August 8th, 2008, 19:25
Technical aspects aside, there are probably significant legal aspects. Several game companies do not allow published software to implement any sort of rules automation.

Draugr
August 8th, 2008, 20:19
Tenian Said

Technical aspects aside, there are probably significant legal aspects. Several game companies do not allow published software to implement any sort of rules automation.

you know, I bet if that was the case some of these smaller companies might be willing to lease their rulesets to the designer of the program. Perhaps they get paid some for their rulesets. If the game used a generic ruleset for its base and allowed the end users to create their own rulesets, I don't think that would be a problem. Personally, I'm working on my own fantasy RPG lite type system that I hope to turn into a boardgame type RPG. I'd love to be able to design that ruleset into a game like a CRPG FG. Then have my friends and I enjoy the ruleset play and the modules I'd design.

Here are my thoughts in short. NOTE: Guess it ain't that short. :)

1. Small companies that make games like Castles & Crusades, Labyrinth Lord, FUDGE, etc... may be more receptive to having their rulesets created for such a game as a FG CRPG.

2. Users like myself could implement our own rules and rulesets that we design. Would be a great feature for people like me to have their own inventions as part of a game that we can play and share with others.

3. As for systems like D&D, Warhammer, etc... If the game doesn't come with those rulesets, then the designers of the game can't be held responsible if end users use a legitimate feature such as custom rule design and design copyrighted works. The ruleset creation feature would obviously be made available for users to make their own rules, not to illegally translate copyrighted gaming rules from official companies. That illegality would fall on the user who illegally built the ruleset for the game. As long as Smiteworks wouldn't support or distribute copyrighted works,they would be fine.

Well, thats just my feelings on the quote by Tenian. As far as I can see, there is no real problem with having the ruleset editor/creator. It is up to the users to follow the law. I mean a gunshop can sell you a gun legally if you have the proper papers and such. If you go out ans murder someone, the gun shop if showing proof it properly investigated your backgrouns, can't be held responsible for the killers actions. Seems, the same logic should apply to a company making a game where end users can create their own works.

Sigurd
August 8th, 2008, 21:36
Interesting question but its sort of like saying...

"Ya know that monument is built in a great spot... Anyone else want to build a whole city around it so I can look at the monument from the 8th floor of a hotel?"

I think the features that make FG great would compliment a CRPG but there's no real similarity of code or project, beyond some compatible customer base. A CRPG would be a HUGE undertaking and require a whole different sort of company.

I love the design and implementation of this program doing exactly what it does. Freed from any particular ruleset FG might become the RPG Telephone of the future - a welcoming virtual gamesroom everyone shares. I'd be very surprised if it every becomes a CRPG.

Course, as I said, its an interesting question. :)

Sigurd

Draugr
August 8th, 2008, 22:02
Sigurd,

You are correct in that it would definitely be a big project, and perhaps it is outside the scope of a company such as Smiteworks. What I'm really curious about then is why hasn't anyone else thought of such an idea and produced it? I'd love to see Smiteworks make this game because I love the way FG looks, but if it is something too involved for them, I'd be just as happy to see nother company create it. What I like most is the feel of FG. The tokens, maps, interaction, etc.. If that could be automated so that a person could play solo with the computer acting as the GM that would be great.

As for the ruleset creation. Perhaps the actual server/client game would not include the rule creation package. Perhaps that would be an ad-on that coders or scripters could purchase to create their own ruleset and then there would be an import option on the actual game that would allow you to import a different/new ruleset. just my thoughts. With what I've seen in CRPGs on the private/hobbyist arena (Nethack, Ultima IV Multiplayer, and countless other large very detailed games), I think its sad that no one has thought of attempting a project like the one I described. I only wish I had the ability to do it. Sadly, as it always semms us guys/gals that tink of these projects don't have the skills to implement them. :( I'd wish to see some of these mid range to large software houses give such a program a try.

John

devinnight
August 8th, 2008, 23:04
I think what you are wanting is what WOTC is doing. The biggest drawback is that you are limited to WOTC products. I'm not even sure their GT could do everything you are asking for.

However if they can make a gametable that automates a lot of the game for you then maybe others will follow. It's easier to duplicate something than it is to make something from scratch.

Also as with neverwinter nights and other programs.. once you make a computer follow the rules of an RPG you lose the best thing about RPG's.. that you can break the rules and think outside the box and tackle things a hundred different ways. An AI program will probably never be as good as a decent living Game master.

Still though, your idea has merit and I'm sure we have all wanted to have a program that would take a lot of the work off our hands. Me.. I want a holographic table that I can play games on.

-D

Sigurd
August 9th, 2008, 03:56
- Draugr

It would be most interesting if someone produced a crpg to really please RPGers.

The problem is that FG has zeroed in on a very defined but cool target - they enable games without really producing one.

Automation is actually a sticking point. The intent, as I understand it, is to enable players to use the official books and product across the web. SW has been careful to avoid any semblance of creating a competing 'game'. It is a design goal I find very elegant. They empower you to play your game across the net but do not pretend to offer you a game that might compete with WOTC.

Sigurd

I too would love to see anything that would make DMing easier.

PneumaPilot
November 10th, 2008, 17:48
I think the closest anybody ever came to making something that really felt like pen and paper while still being a crpg was the Temple of Elemental Evil game that came out a few years back. Man, I made a character on that thing using the actual Player's Handbook 3.5. Every single aspect of it was exactly like the tabletop game. It was an utter joy to play for someone who loved the real deal. Unfortunately, it sort of bombed, companies involved got hosed, and no one will probably go back that way again... :(

Valarian
November 10th, 2008, 18:43
A computer is never going to be able to replace a human GM when creating a story. At least, not until a decent intuitive AI is developed. I like FGII being exactly what it is, a way for me to run or play in a tabletop game with a group of other people. If I wanted to play computer run stuff, well, there's always World of Warcraft. Of course, there can always be improvements. Microsoft's Surface touch-sensitive table would be a great way of running a tabletop game with FGII.

PneumaPilot
November 10th, 2008, 21:07
Microsoft's Surface touch-sensitive table would be a great way of running a tabletop game with FGII.

Only if it could conjure up holographic Cheetos and Coke!:p