PDA

View Full Version : How do you create your own module

icedcrow
August 7th, 2008, 13:51
How do you create your own modules? Someone mentioned placing module-specific tokens and being able to activate them. I can't find how to create my own modules.

Tenian
August 7th, 2008, 14:13
I assume you are interested in adventure modules. In which case I believe this should help:

Adventure Module Creation (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8586)

Xorn is also working on some video tutorials in this thread:

Video Tutorials (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8769)

The other type of module is a data module (like a rulebook). I don't know where the tutorials/faqs are for those off the top of my head.

icedcrow
August 7th, 2008, 14:39
Either are helpful. I've been playing with the software for a couple days now and pretty much understand how to make a campaign. Not sure if that's the same as an adventure.

Xorn
August 7th, 2008, 19:41
An "adventure" when referred to here usually means that you made a campaign folder and added all the map/images, personalities, items, and tokens that you need for a specific adventure, tied it all together with easily followed story entries, then exported it to a module that can be used in your main campaign.

That's what my PDF tutorial covers, and I'm working on some video tutorials to more clearly illustrate the process. (However further work is on hold till this weekend, and I'm working on my fiance faction in World of Warcraft.)

icedcrow
August 7th, 2008, 20:13
I read your tutorials. Thank you for the time you've put in.

As I understand it then I will have a main campaign and then my adventures will be side campaigns that I export and pull in via "module" on my main campaign. :bandit:

Xorn
August 7th, 2008, 20:48
That's how a lot of folks (including myself) do it. My main campaign has the characters, an adventure log story entry, a marching order map, the campaign overland maps, and common personalities they deal with. Everything else is adventure modules.

icedcrow
August 7th, 2008, 22:59
Xorn what does your adventure log contain? Just an overview of what has happened? Or links to... other modules?

icedcrow
August 7th, 2008, 23:34
Also what tokens do you keep in the main and which do you put in adventure modules?

Xorn
August 8th, 2008, 00:00
My adventure log is usually just a list of the encounters and treasure they have obtained since their last extended rest. (4th Edition D&D.) At that time I typically will award their XP and have them copy any coin they treasure they found onto their character sheets and clear it.

For tokens, I keep their character's token in the main campaign, and any tokens they might need to use regardless of the module. One of the player's has a mentor that makes occasional cameos, so his personality entry and token are in the main campaign. The wizard uses Flaming Sphere frequently, so I have a fireball token that is in the main campaign.

Pretty much everything else is in the adventure modules. I'll be sure to illustrate what I use my main campaign for vs adventure modules in the adventure module tutorial. (This weekend can't get here fast enough.)

icedcrow
August 8th, 2008, 01:03
Thank you Xorn. I am also running a 4th ed campaign so I am paying close attention to your tutorials. I think the devs of the software need to hire you on as documentor.

Xorn
August 8th, 2008, 15:17
Oh I'd rather they spend that money on FG3 development. :) I enjoy participating in this community, anyway.

ShadeRaven
August 8th, 2008, 15:52
Oh! You mentioned something above that struck a nerve, Xorn.

The Flaming Sphere token is a great idea (although, I suppose a generic letter token would work).

What comes to mind, that I haven't seen or explored just yet, is a curiosity as to how area spells are handled. Is there some "area of effect" graphic built into the game where you can highlight where your Dragonbreath or Fire Blast is going to hit?

If not, could using some semi-translucent "token" overlay fit this need? Premade 3x3 (etc) transparent images that show where you plan on dropping "the bomb."

I know that in tabletop play, you can easily point out, detail, where your AoE is landing and what squares are being effected. It would seem to me that on this VT, ways to speed this up would enhance play (and possibily even be visually pleasing).

Thoughts?
SR

icedcrow
August 8th, 2008, 15:59
You might be able to create a weapon in the game that has a reach of 3... that would work for bursts that center on you anyway.

Tenian
August 8th, 2008, 16:17
I posted a similar question here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8617) And got some usable suggestions.
I really wish I could drop area markers but it's really not feasible (especially on spells that persist).

icedcrow
August 8th, 2008, 16:21
Can't players target squares and have them glow their color? If so... you could have your caster point to where he is sending the effect, fo rexample.

ShadeRaven
August 8th, 2008, 17:03
Thanks, Tenian. I didn't realize that the overlays (which I was thinking and you did so well) would cause some problems with token selection.

Are the "Map Drawing" innate to FG2 easily erased once you are satisfied with the results?

That would be a cool effect, Iced. I'll have to experiment more with the map tools in game.

icedcrow
August 8th, 2008, 17:12
I'm new too so I'm just throwing stuff out there.

Griogre
August 8th, 2008, 20:51
Usually once your characters understand the areas in 4E you can just have then select any monsters in the blast/burst/area. However, for those of you with the 4e ruleset the area effect pointers have been modded for 4 E. Try holding down both mouse buttons and dragging. Then try this with the Shift, Alt or Control key pressed.

If you need to draw mulitple AOE's you do need to use the radial menus. The double mouse key shortcut only allows one AOE to be on a map.

Xorn
August 8th, 2008, 23:39
I've got a wizard in my group that is a pointer fanatic. He loves drawing area effect templates. Here's an example shot:

https://www.eugee.net/kots/kots.2b.jpg

He uses the square pointer effect a LOT.

Both Buttons = Line
Both Buttons + Shift = Square
Both Buttons + Ctrl = Circle
Both Buttons + Alt = Cone

You can also use the radial menu.

ShadeRaven
August 9th, 2008, 02:11
Awesome stuff! I'll have to give that a test here later.