PDA

View Full Version : License Question

DeathFromAbove
August 7th, 2008, 10:04
I there.

I'd like to purchase some licenses for FG.

The problem is that my player are not fixed.

I'm a Master and I like to purchase all the licenses myself.
Then distribute to chosen players.
If a player will not play anymore (for whatever reason) I'd like to recover my license.

An so on.

Sigurd
August 7th, 2008, 12:05
What you're describing is a floating license. That is not the model Smite Works uses. Its a much harder model to make secure from a programing or distribution perspective. Even if they'd stop playing in your campaign they might easily start up again later or join another campaign. It may not be a floating license but SW is very straightforward and reasonable with their licenses.

You are best to have players who think its worth $25 for unlimited time playing on the net. Don't forget your player list will likely grow across the web to include people you don't know now and who aren't close to you.

Personally, as DM, I spend so much more than the players that I have little sympathy for them chipping in half the cost of a game book. If you consider that its a one time expense it really is a great deal. Since you can't upgrade light to full later I always recommend anyone buy the full for the extra couple of bucks - you'll save money if you ever want to DM.

Smite Works have never offered a floating license but you're welcome to keep asking\checking back.

Sigurd

PS. The vast majority of the members on this board are simply customers. We can only repeat what we've been told.

DeathFromAbove
August 7th, 2008, 12:20
Sigur,

thanks for you replay.

But I haven't understood what your suggestion is :D

Can you explain please? I'm very interested.

I've compared FG with Kledge.Werks and the first seems better.
But the liceneses problem is a major concern for me.

Oberoten
August 7th, 2008, 12:47
Alas, the license as written says that once it has been installed on a computer it is bound and can not be resold or transfered legaly.

DeathFromAbove
August 7th, 2008, 13:02
Ok.

I assume FG is out for me.

Thanks for the replay.

Griogre
August 7th, 2008, 18:37
Personally, if you have to have floating licences I would suggest Battlegrounds over Klooge. It does depend on the game you are running - but it is a lot more work to get Kooge up and running.

Map Tools does not have floating licences - but it is a free download also so it doesn't matter.

Just remember if you are worried about getting players - all but a few posting to the guild hall already have licences - and the size of the user base has a direct impact on your ability to find players.

ProfMarks
August 23rd, 2008, 20:19
Not to hijack this thread, but it's associated. Can someone please tell me how to find what licence is loaded to the program.

I bought a pack and have misplaced which licence I used. As I'm about to hand out licenses to my gamers, I need to know which ones are open.

Thanks!

joeru
August 23rd, 2008, 23:54
Not to hijack this thread, but it's associated. Can someone please tell me how to find what licence is loaded to the program.

I bought a pack and have misplaced which licence I used. As I'm about to hand out licenses to my gamers, I need to know which ones are open.

Thanks!

Run regedit on the computer you have installed FG2 on and go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Fantasy Grounds\2.0.

ProfMarks
August 24th, 2008, 05:44
Many thanks joeru