PDA

View Full Version : Retard

Bidmaron
August 4th, 2008, 03:56
I am having trouble editing my story entries (yes, I'm a newb). When I insert a link into a story page, there is no link. The box is there, but it won't link to anything.

Also, Xorn's module tutorial shows italic text on a story page, but I can't find any option to generate italic text.

I did a search in help and couldn't find anything about formatting tips for story entries, and the User documentation is silent about editing story pages (other than adding entries to main story and categories).
--Dale--

Xorn
August 4th, 2008, 04:14
If you've closed your story entry and reopened it, remember to choose "Edit" from the radial menu before you can make changes again.

Once you make a link box, you'll type a label next to it manually then drag a link from your other Story, Map/Image, Personality, or Item lists onto that empty box. This will put a link in the box.

In order to input italic, bold or underlined text, highlight the text you want to change and push Ctrl-I, Ctrl-B, or Ctrl-U, respectively. I'm pretty sure you can go through the radial menus to do this too, but I use Word a lot, so I'm used to using the hotkeys.

Good luck!

Bidmaron
August 4th, 2008, 04:23
Forgive me, but where did I miss the instructions to do that (it works, of course, by the way)?
I thought I had thoroughly read the documentation....
--Dale--

Foen
August 4th, 2008, 06:19
The documentation is more of an intro than a tutorial. You probably didn't miss anything.

Foen

Bidmaron
August 4th, 2008, 12:07
Okay, but that makes me wonder what else I missed and haven't stumbled upon. I searched for 'tutorial' on the boards and came up with several pages of items. I could only find time to get through the first page of links. Is there a tutorial somewhere to help put together an adventure? I know about and am using Xorn's excellent module tutorial but it is a higher-level tutorial and not a blow-by-blow description of how to do story pages and maps.
--Dale--

Sorontar
August 4th, 2008, 15:37
This is the Basic User Guide (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/userguide/) which may have the odd snippet you can use.

Griogre
August 4th, 2008, 19:19
Just to follow up a bit. Look at the radial pop up (right click) menus to get an idea of what is possible. I have always found you can learn a lot about a program by looking at it's list of shortcuts. Look at the sticky at the top of this forum. The shortcuts are for FG1 but the only thing that changed in FG2 was the use of the tab key for the chat buffers - now it's auto complete and the up & down arrows switch between the buffers.

Bidmaron
August 5th, 2008, 00:19
I thoroughly read the Basic User Guide (3x!), not to mention the Modification guide and the other advanced one. I just don't think there's anything on there about italics or bold text or dragging a link to an empty box. Possible I missed it, but....

Anyway, thanks to all for helping. I'm back on track (for now).

Xorn
August 5th, 2008, 00:51
Hmmm. While it won't be a possibility till this weekend, I might throw together an appendix for the module creation PDF, that covers the bare essentials of Story, Map/Image, Personality, Item, and Token entry. Seems like some people might benefit from it, and it's kind of fun for me.

Bidmaron
August 5th, 2008, 01:23
Xorn, that would be great if you enjoy it.

A question though on your existing tutorial. I don't understand the reason for the Monster Manual campaign. Why not just open the monster book and drag the monsters to the personality list? What's the purpose of the campaign?
--Dale--

Xorn
August 5th, 2008, 01:43
For the 4E ruleset, I did not have a Monster Manual in the Library. (I made one later, but at first I didn't have one.) If you don't have a monster manual library module made (which is well beyond that tutorial) then you can reuse monsters from other modules you've made by the method I outlined.

Wow. So I fiddled with Wink, a program someone used to do some flash demos in another thread, and I'm thinking I'm going to look at making a tutorial in Wink. :)

Xorn
August 5th, 2008, 04:51
Edit:

Okay, so I made a real fast Story Entry tutorial, and while the flash version is frankly breathtaking for its size (10 MB), the WMV was only 5 MB, and still quite legible--so that's what you're getting. I'm going to leave the Flash video up for a day though, just so people can see it!

Flash Video Story Entry Tutorial (https://www.eugee.net/story/story.htm)
WMV Story Entry Tutorial (https://www.eugee.net/downloads/story.tutorial.wmv) (Right-Click, Save As...)

Bidmaron
August 5th, 2008, 11:47
Xorn, that was very useful. Your tutorial needs to be stickied! I didn't look at the WMV version, but the Flash was really great.
--Dale--
p.s. If you decide to do more tutorials, the FG world will be standing by (or at least the newbies).

Tenian
August 5th, 2008, 12:08
...he didn't sound anything like Dungeon Master from the cartoon :(

The tutorial was great though :)

Xorn
August 5th, 2008, 12:48
LOL

Don't sticky anything like this yet, please. If I'm going to do something like this, I'll redo them with a lot more effort than I put into this. It took longer to render this than it did to actually make it.

Xorn
August 5th, 2008, 15:19
I'm having WAY too much fun with this. Updated the WMV version. It's actually a little bigger than the flash video, but not much, and I utilized the auto-pan & zoom this time, so the text is really clear now. It can be saved locally so that'll be nice.

I really like the flash video, but I don't know that my site will stay up long enough to go that route.

Sorontar
August 5th, 2008, 17:28
Excellent work Xorn

Note: Where you are creating links for the human bandits/guards/mage you can highlight multiple "paragraphs" at once and change their type.

So where you deleted and then pressed enter to speed up the link process you would just highlight all paragraphs that are to be links etc right-click and do them at the same time.

Xorn
August 5th, 2008, 17:34
Ooo. Didn't think of that! Now I have to REDO it!

(Is it bad that I'm looking forward to it?)

Xorn
August 5th, 2008, 17:35
...he didn't sound anything like Dungeon Master from the cartoon :(

The tutorial was great though :)

I put an easter egg in the WMV for you.

devinnight
August 5th, 2008, 20:55
Excellent turorial Xorn.
If you need a place to link these from we'd be happy to host them on FUM.
-D

Tenian
August 5th, 2008, 22:09
Nice. Now if you could get one of those voice changing programs and do the whole thing in DM's voice that would be really awesome.

Of course you couldn't tell us how to do things...you'd have to give us nebulous clues that become obvious when the moment is darkest.

"How do I make this text italics?"

"There isn't one in team, but you must use it with control"

Xorn
August 5th, 2008, 22:20
What's really sad is one of my buddies and I were nerding all over the breakroom about how awesome it would be if I snipped "Fantasy" "Grounds" and "To" and had it in his voice instead.

I'm really excited about the potential of screen capture tutorials, I might just have to make these a reality.

Xorn
August 5th, 2008, 22:23
Excellent turorial Xorn.
If you need a place to link these from we'd be happy to host them on FUM.
-D

I'm going to keep working on making them better, but when I finish with the final product, I might just take you up on that. The flash tutorials are obviously higher quality, but I'd like people to be able to download them locally. I think tonight I'll start a discussion thread on what tutorials people would be interested in seeing.

Oh, and my buddy and I also geeked out on the prospect of capturing a minute or two of our regular play session, and using that as a "is FG2 any good as a VTT?" answer.