PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else running Ars Magica?

blue_lifesaver
August 2nd, 2008, 17:56
Hey gang..just wondering if others are currently running an Ars Magica game. I've just started one on Tues nights using 4th edition. Wondering if others have started and which edition they are running/ where their covenant is located. =)

Oberoten
August 2nd, 2008, 22:05
I have five different ones up and running :

One in 1530 with the Hermetic Orden trying to colonize the New World. It has had a lot of Aaaaaah moments, and a few "Oh My Mercifull Goddess SPARE me?" ones. The Covenant is set into a cliff face near what is today St Augustine (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Augustine%2C_Florida).

One set in classic Ars Magica 1300th century, but drawing heavily on russian folk-lore. (( Heroes Quest III was a GOOD inspiration. :) ))
The covenant is a huge iron-tower that the locals call "The Tooth of BabaYaga" and is set in whjat is today Latvia, close to a lake where the Order has set 3 covenants before, all 3 have just dissapeared.

The third campaign is set in 1030 with the Vikings fighting a great war to take England, the Characters are all part of a mercenary company who's loyalties are yet undecided. Their leader has so far played both sides against the middle.

A modern day campaign currently in St Augustine (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Augustine%2C_Florida), showing off some major traces of the "ancient magi" from the colonization campaign. This one has barely started but focuses on the police in St Augustine and the port...
The players have with great glee bought the oldest surviving building in town, a great old stone mansion from the 15th century... ;) (It was of course built by the previous campaign and made to be nearly indestructible.)

A World War II campaign, no magi whatsoever. But lots of Trench-cynicism and brilliant tactics. (We happend to have a Tank officer and grunt from Afghanistan as part of our player group for this one. :) It sure makes it ... intresting to be the GM.

As for the system? We use 5th edition with a heap of houserules to cover situations that the writers of Arm never ever concieved of players managing to create.

(( Automatic fire, Cannons, Naval Battle with 14th century weapons, missfire, modern armour, mechanized infantery and of course... tanks for the WWII. Barbwire etc. ))

Imago
August 2nd, 2008, 23:00
I'm running one, a jump-start scenario for the moment (written for 4th ed, played under 5th). Hope to finish it in a few hours, though.

Anyway, we're still looking for players! Experienced or not, come and join, a new saga will be starting soon.

Sigurd
August 3rd, 2008, 00:09
That's really encouraging!

I'm running a regular 3.5 on Tuesdays or I'd troll for a Ars Magica Game.

I'd Love to hear of another session during the evenings EST with a spot for a neophyte.

Sigurd

blue_lifesaver
August 3rd, 2008, 22:04
Sounds interesting! Always good to hear folks playing =) I'm currently using the 4th edition rules, with the default year in Triamore. Looking forward to playing..have run this setting before in with an RL group..lots of fun =) We are in the char creation phase..but should be starting soon =)

Oberoten
August 3rd, 2008, 22:29
Oh also running a game of MSHRPG... using Arm. ;) I forgot about that one.

- Obe

Belizan
August 4th, 2008, 02:01
Any of these Ars Magica games have openings? If there is a game with room for two, a friend of mine and I would love to get into an Ars Magica game :).

Imago
August 4th, 2008, 08:19
Belizan and Sigurd, see your PMs

We just finished our intro scenario and we're starting character creation for a new saga probably this Friday. It's going to be set in the Rome Tribunal and a bit newbie-oriented, at least for the start.

blue_lifesaver
August 4th, 2008, 23:58
may have room for 1 more player in my game. 7-10 pm est. Still in char creation phase.

guiguiBob
August 5th, 2008, 16:56
I'd be interested in trying Ars Magica, I've heard many good things about it over the years. If one is interested in a quick learner I'm available most week evenings EST from 9 to midnight except tuesdays.

Imago
August 5th, 2008, 17:13
guiguiBob, no chance of making it earlier on Fridays/Saturdays?

blue_lifesaver
August 6th, 2008, 00:08
Imago..shouldn't u be starting your own thread to recruit players vs farming? LMAO :p

Imago
August 6th, 2008, 06:40
I'm too lazy to do that... :bandit: Agriculture's just more effective than hunting and gathering, mate!

But if it bothers you, I'll never click on this thread again ;)

belewda
August 7th, 2008, 18:59
I'd like to get into an Ars Magica game. I ran a one-off many, many moons ago (let's just say that 3rd edition had just hit the shelves) but haven't ever had the chance to play. If anyone has an opening, could you shoot me a message?

Oh, times available might be important. I can play Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, or Thursday after 6pm Eastern.

Imago
August 7th, 2008, 19:12
Belewda: PM

Oberoten
September 19th, 2008, 09:53
I have some good news on the Ars Magica front people... It just became a lot easier for me to maintain two different versions of the ruleset with the extensions. Basically, all I do is make a small plug that contains the lime ruleset changes instead of the whole ruleset.

This in turn means that if you like something of what I add to the ruleset, you can use that stright of the hook instead of waiting for me to port it over to the ruleset without houserules.

- Obe