PDA

View Full Version : Living Forgotten Realms Play with FG

emirikol
July 28th, 2008, 01:42
I just wanted a subject marker here to note Living Forgotten Realms play with FG. I think this is big news considering that LG couldn't be played with VTT's.

Anybody's thoughts on the matter?

Virtual Online tabletop Living Forgotten Realms play rules:
https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=rpga/news/lfrwelcome

JayH
MOONSHAE REGION (Western U.S.)

Xorn
July 28th, 2008, 13:16
The few RPGA games I got to sit in on, I really didn't enjoy that much. It's not to say that it wasn't a neat experience, it's just that it felt more like playing Descent (which is a great board game!) rather than D&D. I'm sure it really has to be that way to be fair, but I found it just didn't feel as rewarding.

It was king of like playing LARPs in the Camarilla--it was a neat idea, but it quickly became apparent that running a private LARP was waaay more fun, because I could actually build a story without worrying about the ramifications that it would have on stories across the country.

Anyway, I do think it's cool that play will be allowed over VTTs, mainly because this is great news for the VTTs out there--since WotC has dropped the ball on DDi GameTable so badly. And more people buying VTTs is good for the advancement of them.

emirikol
July 28th, 2008, 17:25
Running/playing RPGA events is essentially a series of one-shot adventures. There is a 3-6 month lead time on scenario approvals so it's really up to the regional volunteers to come up with over-arching plots and whatnot. Those scenarios are put out 8-20 per year..per region..so with 10+ regions, that's about 150 scenarios(average..including core scenarios). That's only 600 hours of gaming, but you know, you have to make sacrifices ;)

I enjoyed playing and running RPGA events but getting to gamedays and conventions has gotten harder over the years. That's why I'm looking forward to online play. I don't have to organize as much and I can get players from wherever. I can also be choosier about players too. Ahhh, the elitism that comes with anonymity ;)

jh