PDA

View Full Version : Bought Full version after buying Lite version

mattag08
July 24th, 2008, 22:26
I recently purchased a full copy of the game after having already bought the Lite version of the game under the same name and same account. I wasn't thinking it through too clearly, but now I'm curious, is it possible to log in with the full version to DM and let another player log in as a player with my Lite version? Does he just need to install and I'll give him my Lite key? I'm curious how this authenticates.

Sorontar
July 24th, 2008, 22:58
FAQ (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/faq.php?faq=license_and_purchasing_issues#faq_lice nse_1)

Short answer being that it's naughty and you shouldn't share your license details ;)

mattag08
July 24th, 2008, 23:40
I'm not sharing. I'm giving. Each license will only be used/installed on one computer.

And your link to the FAQ has no bearing on this situation. That is referring to ONE license on TWO computers. I want to put TWO licenses on TWO computers (one on each).

Sorontar
July 25th, 2008, 00:35
You have had the license on your computer, you are now planning to give it to someone else which makes it the second computer the license will have been on.

Thus that particular part of the FAQ covers your situation.

NOTE: I gave you the FAQ because if you read it you can see that there is no way for FG2 to know that you have transferred it to another PC.

Foen
July 25th, 2008, 07:14
Licences are non-transferrable is the answer (hence it is naughty to do so), whether by gift or sale.

The fact the FG/SW have no way of knowing just creates a moral dilemma.

Foen

unerwünscht
July 25th, 2008, 09:51
If the licenses are truly supposed to be non-transferable, then why the option to buy 8 keys? Who actually needs 8 keys for FG? How many people really network 8 computers together and install FG on each of the 8 computers with the sole intention of playing alone?

Sorontar
July 25th, 2008, 10:53
If the licenses are truly supposed to be non-transferable, then why the option to buy 8 keys? Who actually needs 8 keys for FG? How many people really network 8 computers together and install FG on each of the 8 computers with the sole intention of playing alone?

You can buy 8 and use them as a group and there is a saving in doing so, but you cannot install a single license on multiple computers, once someone uses a key it is theirs or more accurately that computers.

NOTE: Floating licenses are on the wish list, but even this wouldn't have helped the OP as he bought a lite license. I assume IF floating licenses come in you will only be able to purchase them as a full license holder.

Valarian
July 25th, 2008, 13:00
NOTE: Floating licenses are on the wish list, but even this wouldn't have helped the OP as he bought a lite license. I assume IF floating licenses come in you will only be able to purchase them as a full license holder.
I would sincerely hope that SmiteWorks would implement floating licenses as a method of registering Lite licenses with the Full version. In other words, the GM would purchase additional Lite licenses and register them with his Full version. Then, if an unlicensed player connects, the unlicensed session would temporarily use one of the registered Lite licenses. The Full version would allow a number of unregistered users up to the number of Lite licenses registered by the GM.

unerwünscht
July 25th, 2008, 18:49
You can buy 8 and use them as a group and there is a saving in doing so, but you cannot install on multiple computers, once someone uses a key it is theirs.

You just made my head hurt. You are saying its ok to buy 8 copies of Fantasy grounds, and then give 7 copies away to my friends. But its not ok to buy a lite copy for myself, decide I like the program so much that I upgrade, and then give my old copy to a friend.

and on a side note, I thought you had me ignored..... I think I like that much more, go back to ignoring me.

Sorontar
July 25th, 2008, 19:10
You just made my head hurt. You are saying its ok to buy 8 copies of Fantasy grounds, and then give 7 copies away to my friends. But its not ok to buy a lite copy for myself, decide I like the program so much that I upgrade, and then give my old copy to a friend.

and on a side note, I thought you had me ignored..... I think I like that much more, go back to ignoring me.

Check the times on the posts ..... yes I put you on ignore AFTER answering above and NO I'm not saying anything the EULA and FAQ are. What they say is once you have used a license on a computer you shouldn't transfer it to another.

Now with regards to the ignore list, yes you went on my ignore list as have a few others from the "token" thread because you're all acting like muppets BUT I will on occasion remove ignored individuals when they may have responded to a post I have made (as is the case with this response).

Now just to keep you happy and hopefully NOT worsen your headache I'll slip you back on the list as I can slowly feel myself being dragged into the mire.

Have a great day won't you.

Oberoten
July 25th, 2008, 19:11
In very simple terms, the license is tied to the computer you first install it on, not by any other means that your own ethics though.

Sure, you can give the key away even after using it, nobody is stopping you. But idf you like and use the program the ethical thing to do is to keep supporting it's development.

unerwünscht
July 25th, 2008, 19:50
Oberoten I like you, you are one of the good people here, so please do not take this the wrong way when I say, that is a flawed way of thinking. The original poster not only liked the program enough to support the development, he purchased yet another copy of the program. Upon purchasing the 2nd copy his original copy became 100% useless to him, and it should be well within his rights to transfer that key to someone who could get some use out of it. We arnt talking about him sending it to 100 friends, just 1.

Just like when I buy a new car, I will not throw the old one away, I will give it to a friend who can use it, or trade it in at the dealership for the new one. But since you cant upgrade fantasy grounds, giving the old one away is the only real option.

Oberoten
July 25th, 2008, 20:10
Flawed as it might be, it is how the license is written by Smiteworks. I agree that it could be more flexible, but it is how it stands for now.

Ghoti
August 3rd, 2008, 02:39
In the context of U. S. law though, doesn't the doctrine of First Sale apply?

In other words, if I purchase something, I have the right to sell it to someone else, provided I do not keep a copy for myself.

In this context, the original poster would be within his rights, as no one is getting a free copy.

(IANAL)

unerwünscht
August 3rd, 2008, 03:07
In the context of U. S. law though, doesn't the doctrine of First Sale apply? (IANAL)

Unfortunately no, because of Blizzard and WoW, and the unfortunate success of their legal team, one does not actually purchase software in America, one simply licenses the right to use software in America, and since its a nontransferable license to use, not to distribute, one can not legally give away their key.

But the letter of the law gets blurred a little here since you can purchase the keys in a bundle pack, where one person purchases keys for the group. At that point there is already a legal conflict of interest originating at the point of sale and distribution. Thus one could argue that the nontransferable clause from SmiteWorks would void the EULA, however most states now have laws that would supersede that and just make the clause void.

The bottom line in it all is its not worth SmiteWorks time nor money to sue the original poster of giving away one key to one person, as it would cost WAY more in legal fees than what the end benefit would be. As it is also not worth the original posters time nor money to fight SmiteWorks on the legality of the EULA as there is at this point no real loss on his end.

Judokas
August 3rd, 2008, 05:41
Unfortunately no, because of Blizzard and WoW, and the unfortunate success of their legal team, one does not actually purchase software in America, one simply licenses the right to use software in America, and since its a nontransferable license to use, not to distribute, one can not legally give away their key.

But the letter of the law gets blurred a little here since you can purchase the keys in a bundle pack, where one person purchases keys for the group. At that point there is already a legal conflict of interest originating at the point of sale and distribution. Thus one could argue that the nontransferable clause from SmiteWorks would void the EULA, however most states now have laws that would supersede that and just make the clause void.

The bottom line in it all is its not worth SmiteWorks time nor money to sue the original poster of giving away one key to one person, as it would cost WAY more in legal fees than what the end benefit would be. As it is also not worth the original posters time nor money to fight SmiteWorks on the legality of the EULA as there is at this point no real loss on his end.

I think that WoW argued the ability to transfer accounts directly affected the product (due to power leveling and account selling) which is why they and others in this category get away with this limitation. I thought (and I am by no means an expert) that normal licenses are transferrable. An example is EB games (or gamestop etc) resell used video games (PC and others).

I agree with Unerwunscht - it is a little absurd to limit the transfer of this license and if the user did it I could not see anyone at smiteworks caring -> though they will Never communicate that.