PDA

View Full Version : 4E... Green Ronin is OUT!

Rienen
July 23rd, 2008, 19:16
https://greenronin.com/2008/07/green_ronin_and_4e.php

Basically saying "Thanks, but no thanks" to WotC.

Sigurd
July 23rd, 2008, 20:32
I believe their phrase was "not right now, under these conditions."

Perhaps WOTC has squeezed the other producers too much and some (Many) will jump from its grip. This suits me - I like variety in the market :). One restrictive license - with terms that pull old material from the shelves - is no way to treat consumers.

Sigurd

scytale2
July 23rd, 2008, 21:44
Actually, I think there is an opportunity there for those who have a bit of entrepreneurial flair and creativity to start up a new company and work with Wizards. Am even thinking of doing it myself!

There's so little 4th edition stuff out that everyone playing 4e is gobbling up everything out, so there's a chance for some big sales, if you can develop a good module.

Sigurd
July 23rd, 2008, 23:28
I completely agree. Working with wizard GSL is good too. My point is that different relationships breed different products and that is good for the consumer.

I understand the role of game licenses. They give a much greater level of simple control and clear roles to both parties.

I just don't think any publisher should lose all their product at the whim and timing of another publisher. Its very hard on the publisher but I think its also dirty pool for loyal consumers. I think, in the final analysis, readers\consumers are definitely losing out as the pdf houses are removing 3.5 material because of license mandates. WOTC is not removing product - it doesn't have to but the licensees must. I think products should compete on merit.

It is undeniably easier to use the GSL. You trade freedom for clarity though. Copyright limitations are less clear and may have legal headaches but you haven't given another company the right to pull you product from the shelves.

All that said... Write material for players by any dispensation that you can accept. Customer choice is a good thing.

Sigurd