PDA

View Full Version : Token state or condition how do you show?

totalgeek
July 23rd, 2008, 04:27
Does anyone have any tricks besides changing the name in the combat tracker to show what has happened to a token? For example with the excellent JPG 4E ruleset say I want to denote something is immobile or paralyzed how do I display that on the token. I know a search brought up changing the name in combat tracker but 'uh that's too much'.

Everytime I search I don't come up with relevant answers. I know MapTools has this feature and since FG2 rocks, I'm hoping it has the same. Well in maptools you can right click and set different conditions on a token. Even if its just specials overlays or tokens you drop on the token to show the condition I'm all for it.

Even though I use both I come back to FG2 because of its integration there are things though I wish FG2 had like character tokens so you can take your character from one campaign to another, token state when you right click, etc...

I'm not going into detail because I think others have pointed it out.

Callum
July 23rd, 2008, 09:27
I have a number of little status tokens that I downloaded from somewhere - a skull to indicate dead, Zs to indicate sleeping, etc. I just drop these on top of the relevant token on the map. Of course, these work best for conditions where the creature is immobile - otherwise you have two tokens to move every round!

totalgeek
July 23rd, 2008, 13:14
Hmmm... I don't know if having more then 1 token to move would be advisable for my campaign because I'll forget.I tried using the effect panel, but what sucks is when I have people who can give multiple marks start marking different creatures every round then I have to remember to remove that mark from another creature and place it somewhere else.

Maybe a condition tracker would be nice.

Toadwart
July 24th, 2008, 21:57
Think how you would do it at the gaming table with miniatures and try to do something similar in FG.
For knocked down/unconcious/sleeping I'd just rotate the token 90degrees in FG (similar to laying a miniature on it's back) and 180degrees (till it's upside down) for 'dead'
For other effects, like ongoing spell effects, you could have a blank image, share it with the players, and drop copies of tokens for each pc/significant npc onto it. Then drop status tokens next to em.

It could also be used by the PCs to put themselves in 'standard marching order' or 'night watch order'...

longarms
July 25th, 2008, 01:01
"For other effects, like ongoing spell effects, you could have a blank image, share it with the players, and drop copies of tokens for each pc/significant npc onto it. Then drop status tokens next to em. "

This is a really good idea. When I get my multi-monitor connected again, I think I am going to try it. An unstated benefit of your idea is that it let's a designated player track status and effects by moving shared tokens. This is in contrast to the combat tracker where I believe that the DM is the only person with access to certain fields. Distributing this tracking workload to the players is all kinds of good, because frankley it gives them more to do between their turns (which unfortunately can sometimes be few and far apart).

I've pretty much stopped using the combat tracking for tracking anything other than turn order. Savage worlds allows me to keep track of only a fraction of monster information, and the least confusing way of tracking that information is a combination of scraps of paper and in my head. Not only is the scraps-of-paper-in-my-head approach less confusing (and therefore faster and more responsive from the player side), but it saves me prep time. Data entry is not my idea of fun. Your most helpful suggestion goes along nicely with my current approach.

Your other suggestion I am already familiar with, and I'd like to echo what you have said about it. All kinds of good. Meshes perfectly with Savage worlds where you don't have to keep track of silly hit points...

mike

smataka
July 28th, 2008, 23:56
I rotate tokens. 90 degrees clockwise = shaken (Savage Worlds). 180 degrees = incapacitated/dead, 270 degrees clockwise = some other condition (slowed/poisoned/etc.). Hope that helps.

totalgeek
July 29th, 2008, 06:47
Everyone's suggestion helps, thanks for contributing smataka. Its just weird playing with the latest build of Maptools I must say that line of sight, lighting in maps, and vision are done awesome. Only have to do like 30 minutes of work, or so depending on the size of the dungeon.

Also, token states rock as well right click and set a state. You can also program certain states to show up on a token when a certain condition is met with HP or what not.

Really like how its set up I'm thinking of a mix of MapTools and FG2 to run a campaign becuase the LoS and lighting really did add to the dungeon exploring. I hope FG2 is moving in this direction because I like FG2 integration with each of its components.

mr_h
July 29th, 2008, 13:52
I rotate tokens. 90 degrees clockwise = shaken (Savage Worlds). 180 degrees = incapacitated/dead, 270 degrees clockwise = some other condition (slowed/poisoned/etc.). Hope that helps.

I used to do something similar, but...well, look at my sig :)