PDA

View Full Version : Demo...instructions for making a character..detailed?

JudoMonk
July 15th, 2008, 05:10
:confused: Hello

I downloaded the demo and played around with it but have a few questions I would like answered:

1) Character creation: Every RPG I played has a detailed explanation as to how a character is crerated...all but this game(unless I missed something). Like when creating a character; how many dice are rolled and for what stats are they used for? Once rolled how do I place these on my character sheet? Character creation seems like it is missing some core information...least in the demo?

2) Can the demo map/adventure be played as a single player game? Or do I need to go online and try to hook up with someone else to play with...either as a GM or player?

thx

Foen
July 15th, 2008, 06:31
Hi JudoMonk

The first thing to note is that FG is not a game, it's a tool for playing games, just like a deck of cards is a tool for playing games, and you don't get instructions with a deck of cards but you need to have separate rules for each game you want to play with them.

That said, FG comes bundled with a copy of the rules for d20 3.5E (which is pretty much the same as D&D 3.5E) and a sample adventure. It is best to have a copy of the 3.5E rules as well, and you can find them on the WotC web site (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35), or you can buy 3.5E rulebooks for D&D.

There is a character generator in FG (which I also find hard to use, so I never use it) but much of the information you need will be in the 3.5E rulebooks.

As to your second question, some folks have used FG for solo play, but most traditional (PnP) RPGs are basically social, and the best fun is when you play with other folks. The Guildhall frequently has posts for players or GMs looking for each other. GMs seem to be in shorter supply.

There is no 'right' number of players per GM, but four to six players seems to work well (too few and you lose much of the interaction, and players may need to run more than one character each to give a good mix of skills and abilities in a party; too many and it can become boring for each player to wait their turn, and hard work for the GM to handle all the ad hoc requests).

If you post a request, looking for players or a GM, it is best to state your time zone, and your available times for play (and preferred rules, too).

Hope that helps

Stuart

Torgo
July 15th, 2008, 08:46
It's a little confusing. All I can tell you is

1. You seem to need to already know DND 3.5 rules fairly well
2. You need to do a lot of experimentation.

I can answer a couple of your questions, though.

You roll 3 dice six times to come up with an ability score. (or you can cheat a little and roll 4 dice six times, dropping the lowest roll of each set of four.)

To do this, you have to drag the 6 sided die (the cube) into the line under the dice three or four times. Then you can roll those 3/4 dice by dragging them over to the "dice rolled" board.

Once you get your scores from this, you can either click your stat box and type the numbers in or drag them over.

Griogre
July 15th, 2008, 10:21
And just for you information. Character's input into the demo go away after the demo is closed - they are not permanent.