PDA

View Full Version : Purchase/Community Interestin 2nd ed. AD&D

Plissken
July 14th, 2008, 10:07
Hi, I haven't purchased FGII yet but am thinking about it. However, I was wondering how much community interest there was in 2nd ed. AD&D. I prefer running games in this system. If interest is low, my next choice would be 3.5. Are there stll lots of 3.5 players? It seems many have moved on to 4th ed. (I don't hate it, but I prefer not to run it).

Thanks

scytale2
July 14th, 2008, 11:33
Still plenty of 3.5 players, who have not seen the light, but I think that most players are more interested here in the game and setting, than the system. Some seem anti- certain systems, but they are in the minority imho.

2nd edition is another matter - was an afficionado of 2nd edition until fairly recently, but now feel it to be a bit difficult by comparison. I'd still play it, though, if people were offering an interesting game and I believe someone has developed a ruleset for it.

Answulf
July 14th, 2008, 18:17
You probably want to check out Castles & Crusades - it is popular around here, has a Fantasy Grounds ruleset and is more or less a revised 2nd Edition.

https://www.trolllord.com/newsite/cnc/why_play_cnc.html

Plissken
July 14th, 2008, 20:56
What are the core books for Castles & Crusades? I see player's, monsters and treasures. No DMG equivalent?

Sorontar
July 14th, 2008, 22:19
The Players Handbook is one of two books needed to master and run fantasy role playing games. The Castles & Crusades Monsters & Treasure is also available from this vendor. The first part of the PH is dedicated to the player, the rules to play, how to make a character, the races, classes, spells and more. The second part of the PH is dedicated to the GM, what we call the Castle Keeper.

So for face to face play you'll need the Players for all rules I guess and Monsters and Treasures for stuff in your quests.

The ruleset for FG2 by Digital Adventures has both along with a free adventure and tokens HERE (https://www.digitaladventures.net/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=34&products_id=75) for $10.

Only the DM needs to buy the additional ruleset to play.