PDA

View Full Version : Quick clarification

kitching
July 13th, 2008, 11:07
I ended up purchasing and am having a great time finding my way around the game...

I had one clarification about encounters though... is there away to have multiple combat trackers prepared before a session?

Right now, the best way I've found is to have a single story page with links to all the personalities needed for an encounter. When the encounter begins during the session, then open up the encounter window and drag all encounter personalities into encounter window... is this the easiest way?

Foen
July 13th, 2008, 17:25
It is a pretty standard way, but there is a rulset enhancement out there which allows combat trackers to be saved and loaded. I think Moon_Wizard wrote it.

Foen

Griogre
July 13th, 2008, 18:41
I agree, the way you are doing it is the pretty standard way. Moon_Wizard has said himself that he feels the load/save combat tracker portion of his ruleset is problematic, so I would advise against using it wholesale.

However, I have to say the auto-rolling of initiatives by monster group when a monster is dropped on the tracker and the auto setting of character initiative on the tracker when the initiative modifier box on a character sheet is doubled clicked are huge time savers.

Foen
July 13th, 2008, 18:54
I think Moon_Wizard's problems are related (at least in good measure) to the fact he also has a shareable tracker. Most people sware by his load/save routines.

IMHO

Stuart

Griogre
July 13th, 2008, 19:14
Stuart, you may be right - I can't claim to have read his code. I'm just going by what he said himself, quote below. Please note this was for his 1.3.0 version. He has since released 1.3.1 but I don't see notice of any fixes to this in 1.3.1 (the latest version).

One note to all the people using this ruleset.

I included the CT tool commands (/ctc, /ctl, /cts) in the code, as I was trying to get them to work with this ruleset. HOWEVER, I was never able to get them to work without serious issues when loading/saving encounters, including slow performance and endless loops.

I have asked around the forums for a solution, but no one has a clear answer as to why it is happening. The only option I haven't tried is a full rewrite of the combat tracker and client combat tracker into the same windowclass, which is a huge undertaking.

For now, please don't depend on the CT slash commands, as you may have lots of problems if you use them.

Regards,
JPG

Jingo
July 16th, 2008, 08:50
I love that ruleset mod! Very cool! Hope it becomes standard in next FG version. I've also loaded in the auto init roller and name incrementing for NPCs mod that someone did (very handy that). Those two go well together, you can store multiple combat trackers with inits already loaded. Very nice for setting up multiple large combats.

Here's the save and restore multiple combat tracker mod:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7243

Here's the auto init roller:
https://dev.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6527&highlight=combat+tracker

Have fun!

Astinus
July 16th, 2008, 17:52
I think Moon_Wizard's problems are related (at least in good measure) to the fact he also has a shareable tracker. Most people sware by his load/save routines.
Yeah, I think that's what it is. I don't understand the code, but the load/save combat tracker mod works fine when added to the standard D20 ruleset, but not in Moon_Wizard's, with the shareable tracker. It does seem like it's one or the other right now.

Stuart, you may be right - I can't claim to have read his code. I'm just going by what he said himself, quote below. Please note this was for his 1.3.0 version. He has since released 1.3.1 but I don't see notice of any fixes to this in 1.3.1 (the latest version).
Yep, I've been testing 1.3.1 in the last couple of days, and the problem still exists.

I have to say the auto-rolling of initiatives by monster group when a monster is dropped on the tracker and the auto setting of character initiative on the tracker when the initiative modifier box on a character sheet is doubled clicked are huge time savers.
Massive time savers. I love it.