PDA

View Full Version : The third wishlist

Pages : [1] 2

Ged
July 7th, 2008, 23:44
This is the updated wishlist for Fantasy Grounds II, thanks are due to Oberoten for collecting most of the stuff from the first wish list to the second (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7938); I just added the wishes from the second to this new one. Also, thanks to all other contributors.

I'll keep summarizing new wishes submitted to this thread in this first post. It helps, of course, if a new wish is already accompanied by a one-sentence summary.

Below all wishes/issues are under some heading even though some of them might really belong to many categories. Thus the categorization should not be taken too seriously. Each wish/issue is also tentatively marked as a (F)eature, (B)ug, or (?). Some (F)'s will certainly be (B)'s to someone and vice versa.

Note that this list is not the compilation of all features requested or all bugs reported and recorded. Neither is this the current status of Fantasy Grounds's design. Quite literally this is a list emanating from the original Fantasy Grounds Wish List (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7583) and the FG wishlist Continued (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7938) (check those threads for details on items not mentioned in this thread). This list is, however, read, analyzed, and appreciated by the dev team. So a big thank you to everyone who has spent time writing your wishes.

Image controls/manipulation
(F) Layers that can be turned on/off (object layer, token layer, base layer, drawing layers, ...)
(F) Better drawing tools (Line width, line color, straight lines, etc., ..., and so forth)
(F) Dynamic lightning on maps
(F) Pressure-sensitive graphics tablet eraser support
(F) Player image zoom control
(F) Better support for tokens: z-order and programming hooks
(F) Hex grid
(F) Transparency sensitivity for tokens (not movable from transparent area) (implemented)
(F) Add tokens dynamically or /reload tokens option
(F) Ability to set grid transparent + (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=61138&postcount=38)
(B) Correct saving of masks and drawings (on module maps)
(B) Crash when both GM and client try to move a pointer (fixed)
(B) Relief from being stuck in pointer hell in drawing mode where instead of panning the image by holding down the middle mouse button it draws a line pointer.
(B) Dropping token from tracker, while player is moving referenced token on map causes crash (fixed)

Campaign management
(F) Letting the DM/GM open a character and have a portrait as well within the host client.
(F) Ability to save characters with a module (pre-gens) for distributing complete adventures
(F) html-like formatting of module text
(F) Better module import options; exclude content from the standard lists
(F) Autosave (noted by "Campaign saved.") to include the combat tracker
(B) Pin the same storybook entry more than once on a map (or at least not have a crash on exit). (fixed)
(B) Book tabs to work always without sometimes needing a fake entry.
Gameplay improvements/changes
(F) Player to Player Whispers
(F) Invisible Chars. When a player is present but the GM doesn't want the other players to know what their char is.
(F) Persistent targetting for PCs and NPCs on the map.
(F) Damage Resistance / Absorbation / Soak whatever to be pulled from Damage.
(F) Player journal/news
(F) Kick and Bell options back.
(F) Better interface for /vote
(F) Ability to specify one or more targets per map icon (not combat tracker based)
(F) Optional token facing indicatorsConnection, recovery, launcher
(F) Login that lets you save game-server names under an alias of your own. Add, Delete, Edit options to this.
(F) Default DM name
(F) Log on alias book
(F) Remembering last good IP address for an alias
(F) Connection diagnostics
(F) Priority to on token loading + (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=60880&postcount=32) + (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=61860&postcount=40)
Customization, scripting, modifications
(F) Graphical IDE for developing charsheets and rulesets.
(F) Loading from default D20 set when file not present in Mod.
(F) Built-in character sheet editor
(F) Programmatic access to all control properties (tabtarget cannot be changed dynamically, for example)
(F) Programmatic access to some of the environment methods (being able to invoke anything that a right-click can do, such as totalling the dice in the chat box)
(F) Programmatic access to die result control in chat window entries (or at least be able to set options when adding/delivering message)
(F) Programmatic access to current radial menu options (mask modes, drawing modes, pointers, deletes, ...) (want to make toolbars)
(F) Programmatic access to map tokens (would like to add widgets to denote effects or wound status, or colored circles for effects like marking)
(F) An extension of the base controls (being able to use getValue and setValue on formatted text, having onTab events for number controls)
(F) Ability to easily make rulesets where player with the lite version of FG could make local characters.
(F) Easy-to-configure graphics elements (background, ...)
(F) Ability to access target list programmatically
(F) DM (NPC) targetting
(F) Formatted number controls (leading zeros, decimal points, number of decimals)
(F) getValue, setValue supporting formattedtext
(F) New stringcontrol alignment functions (<left />, <right />, <full />)
(F) Exposing tokens as bitmap gadgets + (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=60908&postcount=33) + (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=61849&postcount=39)
Usability
(F) More Autorolling
(F) Rolls tied to the charsheet instead of active char (when double-click rolling, drag-rolling or using mini-window buttons)
(F) /Light command to set lights on the fly, replacing the "/day" "/night" commands
(F) Targetting and size even for things not already bound in the tracker. Maybe some kind of list on the side of the map-window that is populated as you drop items into a layer.
(F) Marking several tokens at one sweep, moving them together.
(F) Save of ALL options on the combat tracker. Including conditions.
(F) Save / Load of pre-set combat trackers. Maybe some option to pre-set them in modules?
(F) Numeric Keypad toggle.
(F) Dynamical adding of tokens just like maps...
(F) Dice auto-total option
(F) Combat tracker fully saved
(F) Double-click to roll
(F) Double-click a skill or stat to send it to the modifier box.
(F) Sort pc portraits so that all of a players pcs are together
(F) DM contact book
(F) Minimize things to one small icon
(F) Sheet navigator along the lines of Windows Alt-Tab
(F) Sheet navigation by a tray
(F) Font control
(F) Cut and paste uniformly throughout the program
(F) Token box explorer view
(F) Proper operation with maximizing in windows
(F) More toggle-options. Open-ended die, Autosum Die, Sucesses-Die
(F) Scroll bars on every window
(F) Conventional window control (close, resize, scroll bars, ...)
(F) No radial menu / optional conventional menu
(F) Access module details and add a module when FG already running
(F) Scroller control in chat window
(F) Resizable chat window
(F) Remember main window size between sessions
(F) Better visual targeting options (arrows, instead of circles))
(F) Multi-line chat input field
(F) "Whisper channels"
(B) Clicking portrait again when charsheet is allready open should either close it or bring it to the top again. (Helps with the clutter)
(B) Combat tracker to remember the stuff on it reguardless of how I close it. (fixed)
(B) Reseting of fields/hot-keys when clicking one while a dice is rolling (fixed)
(B) Scroller on character list (fixed)
(B) Library sorts in the reverse order (fixed)
(B) Hot keys are hidden behind taskbar when window maximized
(B) Dragging the #atk dice cup having a modifier to any Ctrl-hotkey swithces the modifier sign
(B) Chat line does not update on long (4+ lines) entry
(B) /act, /action, ... erroneously make the message start by, e.g. Ged: /act [text here] (fixed)
Foundation / 3.5E specific
(F) More classes on the charsheet
(F) Non Lethal Damage box on the charsheet
(F) Fast clearing of checkmarks for cast spells
(F) Buff Page on Charsheet
(F) Better tracking of spells for NPCs
(F) Indicators for skills usable only when trained
(F) Automatic dice grabbing for skills
(F) Automatically add 1d3 for unarmed attack to the character sheet
(F) Way to add dice to spell descriptions to avoid hotkeying
(B) Skill points not decrementing when submitting planned ranks (fixed)Documentation
(D) Pdf manual for FG II or at the very least a downloadable Library
(F) Searchable documentation
(B) Completed documentation (where is numberbasecontrol.xcp?)Miscellaneous
(F) Proper D100
(F) Reset Window command
(F) Printing the charsheet
(?) More regular updates
(F) Fudge dice
(F) NPCs, characters, items, storys save in separate folder to combat crash losses
(F) Floating licenses
(F) Change: At present, if dice rolled while typing, they will appear in chat instead of rolling

Oberoten
July 8th, 2008, 00:00
Bugfixing the reseting of fields if you click one while a dice is rolling.

Malovech
July 8th, 2008, 04:49
Multi-layered maps that you can turn on and off (i.e. object layer, token layer, base layer, etc.)

Sigurd
July 8th, 2008, 05:32
I want to start by saying FG2 is a great improvement on FG1! Kudos and congratulations. I think these suggestions would make an excellent program better. This is most certainly not a complaint.

After some game play this is my considered list of the improvements I'd suggest.

Things I'd like in FG2

For DM

DM Contact Book - Save Identity on Close - I'd like to be able to finish a session and add the identities I've used as a DM to a contacts book. I'd like it to copy over same named identities and store the date of the first and last usage. I'd like to be able to pull from this book to create NPC's.

Default DM Name. I'd like the option of setting the DM for my machine as "JOE" and always be that name when I'm dming. If I log in as a client to my own server machine I'd like to be either stopped from using a duplicate name or .... just use the duplicate name. Its still me after all.

Better module import options. Give me a way to see or exclude notes\images etc... that are in my imported modules. I want to be able have module specific image,note,personality, tags that dont' clutter the standard lists.

Multi-Layered Maps - Absolutely agree with Mal.

Gen Players

Log On Alias Book - add a little app that stores 25 aliases with the date of last use and room for a one line comment.

eg. "Big Nose North China - April 1 2008 - "Temple of Elemental Rugby" _User Log on Name_. "

I'd like to be able to order it by last used or Alphabetically by Alias. Let me hide categories like a windows directory list. I'd like the player alias to be completely freed from the DM alias. (see above).

Last good IP Address - It would be sweet if the Alias routine cached the last good TCPIP address for each campaign name and prompted you to use this address if it could not connect via alias.

Player Journal\News - I'd like the player to have a defined tab on his\her journal that will query the Server for posted notes from the DM. When they log in they should be able check the tab for summaries and DM messages. Other things might be background info. As DM I'd like to be able to control these messages and use them for memo's reminders etc.... Ideally I'd be able to send graphics as well as text. And choose if the message is active ie. seen and which users will see it.

On the table top I'd like to be able to minimize things to one small icon and then use that icon to call up a list of everything minimized. No more coins all over the place.

Font control - I'd like each player to be able to modify the size of the fonts on their machine to suit their vision\monitor - Chat programs do it. I think this is an important usability point. Reduce eye strain.

Player Image Zoom Control - I would like the player graphic viewer changed so they can zoom their shared image without impacting the other shares. If a player wonders where they are on a map I'd like them to be able to zoom out but not change focus. The DM would still determine the center but if players have a smaller or larger monitor (or bad eyesight) I'd like them to be able to zoom the images in game play.

Connection Diagnostic - I'd like some sort of diagnostic for connection strength\quality for anyone esp players, perhaps a slash command. As DM I'd like to be able to initiate that command for _all_ my players. eg "/signals" - Returns some sort of ping time or other diagnostic for each connected client.

I'd like cut and paste to work uniformly throughout the program.

Token Box Explorer View - I'd like to be able to switch the token box into explorer view or something very similar and get more info about the tokens.

I'd like the app to work properly with maximizing in windows.

I'd like graphics elements (Background etc...) exposed more simply so they are easier to modify for amateurs.

Foen
July 8th, 2008, 06:48
I'd also like to see the d20 ruleset bugs listed in this thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8194) fixed. Most of the problems even have the solution identified, they only need to be actioned in the d20 ruleset files.

Foen

Tenian
July 8th, 2008, 15:49
I would love to see the windows within FGII work like windows in typical windows applications:
i.e. have a close in the upper right hand corner, scroll using scroll bars, resize by dragging on the borders.

I'm not a fan of the radial menu either, I'd prefer a standard context menu with text instead of the icons.

From the programming side of things:

I'd like to be able to add a module/see updates to the module title and/or author while FG is already running.

Better support for tokens: A z order to control how which tokens are drawn on top of other tokens (overlays/underlays/area effect markers). More programming hooks for tokens so you could drop damage onto a token on a map and have it reflected on the combat tracker.

DNH
July 8th, 2008, 16:59
Any FG2 session can quickly end up as a game of "hunt the relevant window" where a DM (players too) might have a map open, the combat tracker, the chat window, a story window, a personality entry, and others too. This often gets confusing. I realise we have the keypad shortcuts, and the minimise feature, but that requires to be set up each session or as and when required.

What I would like to see is something along the lines of the Windows Alt-Tab control, whereby you can quickly flick from one window to another. Failing that, perhaps some kind of always-on-top windows list (with names), where clicking on one entry will bring that window to the fore. (I mentioned this once before and Joshuha said it should technically be possible, so ... well, I haven't got around to it yet!)

Sorontar
July 8th, 2008, 18:56
Any FG2 session can quickly end up as a game of "hunt the relevant window" where a DM (players too) might have a map open, the combat tracker, the chat window, a story window, a personality entry, and others too. This often gets confusing. I realise we have the keypad shortcuts, and the minimise feature, but that requires to be set up each session or as and when required.

What I would like to see is something along the lines of the Windows Alt-Tab control, whereby you can quickly flick from one window to another. Failing that, perhaps some kind of always-on-top windows list (with names), where clicking on one entry will bring that window to the fore. (I mentioned this once before and Joshuha said it should technically be possible, so ... well, I haven't got around to it yet!)

How about your minimized windows drop into a tray for opening running across the top of the screen?

Ged
July 8th, 2008, 22:53
Thanks to everyone, I've just updated the list. The categories for the wishes/issues are rather tentative so don't be too upset to find illogical placements. (Also updated some of the introductory text)

Dachannien
July 9th, 2008, 00:38
I'd like a better interface for /vote, since the one now only offers you two choices: "yes" or "oops, sorry, I just went afk". :D

Master
July 9th, 2008, 02:03
I would love to have scroll bars on things. One of the most annoying things in the game at the moment is trying to scroll through a note or description.

unerwünscht
July 9th, 2008, 02:29
I would love to have scroll bars on things. One of the most annoying things in the game at the moment is trying to scroll through a note or description.
You are so right!.. I had never noticed it till you mentioned this, but scroll bars would be great.

Valarian
July 9th, 2008, 17:21
Ged, any thoughts on having something like JIRA (https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/images/features/dashboard.png) or Bugzilla (https://landfill.bugzilla.org/bugzilla-tip/report.cgi?x_axis_field=product&y_axis_field=bug_status&z_axis_field=&query_format=report-table&format=table&action=wrap) to show planned features and product releases?

Valarian
July 9th, 2008, 17:40
(F) Fudge dice
I've done a custom Fudge die in FGII, it's an easy modification of the existing d3 custom die. The post was on the FUM Website (https://www.fouruglymonsters.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=42&func=view&id=818&catid=13) though ... :o

There's been a recent thread on how to use Fudge dice in Maptool. I thought I'd post up some notes on how to create Fudge dice in FGII.

The first thing is to unpack the example ruleset and create a copy in the rulesets directory for FGII. The process for doing this is explained on the Fantasy Grounds website (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/modguide/introduction.xcp).

Once you have your custom ruleset (e.g. d20Copy), you need to find the gameelements.xml file. This will be in the base directory for your custom ruleset. Open this file in Notepad or another basic text editor.

Inside this file is a piece of code that describes the d3 custom die, which is accessed on the radial menu for the d6.
The code looks like this:

<customdie name="d3">
<model>d6</model>
<menuicon>customdice</menuicon>
<script>
function onValue(result)
return math.ceil(result/2);
end
</script>
</customdie>

Copy this section and paste the copy under the existing d3 code. Rename the custom die to dF and modify the return value as shown below.

<customdie name="dF">
<model>d6</model>
<menuicon>customdice</menuicon>
<script>
function onValue(result)
return ( math.ceil(result/2) ) - 2;
end
</script>
</customdie>

Save the file and close your text editor. Then start up FGII. You'll need to create a campaign using your custom ruleset. Once you've done this, your new custom Fudge die should be available in the d6 radial menu like the d3. You'll also be able to call the die using the /die command in the chat window (e.g. /die 4dF).

Good luck. Happy gaming.

Ged
July 9th, 2008, 18:42
Ged, any thoughts on having something like JIRA (https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/images/features/dashboard.png) or Bugzilla (https://landfill.bugzilla.org/bugzilla-tip/report.cgi?x_axis_field=product&y_axis_field=bug_status&z_axis_field=&query_format=report-table&format=table&action=wrap) to show planned features and product releases?
Not really anything solid. It's something that either may or may not be done one day. One particular reason why not now is the fact that some of the issues and design in our current systems is written in Finnish. And working with one's own mother tongue has some advantages over the alternative, although it opens up other possibilities to use English - in fact we are (slowly, or should I say, at a natural pace) transitioning to English as far as written documents and issue recording goes.

Valarian
July 9th, 2008, 19:05
You could always publish them in Finnish. It would separate out the truly dedicated :D

richvalle
July 9th, 2008, 20:02
You could always publish them in Finnish. It would separate out the truly dedicated :D

Or, to be fair, create some sort of code that users have to break before reading the documents. THAT would separate out the truly dedicated. :)

rv

Foen
July 9th, 2008, 21:12
create some sort of code that users have to break before reading the documents. THAT would separate out the truly dedicated.

Hmm, doesn't Finnish achieve that?

It would for me, but then I'm a bit of a language luddite *grin*

(Waaay off topic)

Ram Tyr
July 9th, 2008, 21:32
Hmm, doesn't Finnish achieve that?

It would for me, but then I'm a bit of a language luddite *grin*

(Waaay off topic)
lol

I think rv's point was to be fair a code would be needed so that those that know Finnish are not at an advantage. :)

However, it is not fair to those of us that are less facile with programming. Though, as a species, we may be facing extinction sometime relatively soon. I expect sometime before the Finnish language becomes extinct...

:D

Later.

richvalle
July 9th, 2008, 21:44
lol

I think rv's point was to be fair a code would be needed so that those that know Finnish are not at an advantage. :)

Later.

Correct sir!

:)

I guess, to get back on topic...

My FG2 crashed the other night and I lost all the changes I had made during that current session. About 2 hours or so of work. It would be nice if the 'campaign saved' included changes made to the combat tracker (where most my work was done).

I took a quick look though the list and didn't notice the above on it. Pretty sure this is a known issue.

rv

Dachannien
July 9th, 2008, 23:33

Doh! The only Finnish words I know are... well... somewhat crude ;)

Moon Wizard
July 10th, 2008, 00:12
Not sure if some of these are even possible with DirectX, but here goes:

* Hot keys are hidden behind taskbar when window maximized.
* Can not implement scroller control in chat window.
* Can not resize chat window.
* Dropping token from tracker, while player is moving referenced token on map causes crash
* If dice rolled while typing, they will appear in chat instead of rolling.
* Remember main window size between sessions
* Programmatic access to die result control in chat window entries (or at least be able to set options when adding/delivering message)
* Programmatic access to current radial menu options (mask modes, drawing modes, pointers, deletes, ...) (want to make toolbars)
* Programmatic access to map tokens (would like to add widgets to denote effects or wound status, or colored circles for effects like marking)
* Targeting overhaul (ability to specify one or more targets per map icon (not combat tracker based), ability to access target list programmatically, better visual targeting options (arrows, instead of circles))

Cheers,
JPG

DNH
July 10th, 2008, 09:37
Has DM (NPC) targetting already been covered in the above? If not, that would be very useful, as has been mentioned elsewhere.

Griogre
July 11th, 2008, 02:53
I don't see a bug fix on the list for hotkeys that use the Ctrl key.

If you drag the #atk dice cup that has a modifier to the die roll to any hotkey where you are holding down Ctrl, the modifer sign is switched. This only happens on the #atk cup on the combat tab in weapons. All the other cups work fine as far as I know.

To reproduce open a character sheet in the d20 default ruleset and add a weapon line. Give the weapon a +1 bonus, then in the #atk field roll the number of attacks to 2. You should see two attacks at +1 and -4. Drag and drop the 2 d20's from the #atk dice cup on to the Ctrl hotkey. Use the hotkey you just made. You will see two die rolls one with a -1 to hit and the other with a +4 to hit.

DMJBone
July 13th, 2008, 00:30
Just wanted to add my encouragement for the items on the wish list-My only wish would be they get added soon. :)

Spyke
July 13th, 2008, 20:20
Just for completeness, please could we add hex grids and token facing indicators to this list?

Ged
July 13th, 2008, 20:35
The first 100 entries are now on the list. Don't let that round number distract you but just keep them coming. Thanks again for everybody contributing to the list :).

Sigurd
July 14th, 2008, 03:28
So, very broadly, what are the plans for the list? Will we see any of these addressed\changed in a 2 revision or are you guys planning on a version 3.

If I were you I'd seriously consider having a "Fantasy Grounds 3.5" :) Cheezy but it might get you noticed.

Any chance we'll see some of these acted on before the snow flies?

Sigurd

Razi the Dragon
July 19th, 2008, 04:36
I've brought the game 3 months ago and I just HOPE for these fixes:

MAJOR

1st >> the chat bug. You can't type anything longer than 4-5 lines or it simply stop updating what you're seeing (when you're typing). This sucks, as you can't fix a letter or two in the middle without copying it all to a notepad :(

2nd >> the /act command doesn't work properly for players. Well, you get the act, but it comes like this in the chat:

Irthos: /action I go to to my room.

3rd >> We SERIOUSLY need an automatic dice roll when grabbing the skill modifier (I mean, you grab the +10, and it would come with a dice, like the attacks)

MINOR

4th >> A way to get automatic 1d3 unnarmed attacks, I don't know, something on the Character Sheet.

5th >> Multi-line chat, I mean, why do we need to type in a LOOOOONG line instead of 3-4? Something like this PLUS the 1st of my list, and I'll be more than happy.

6th >> an option to have a private, complete chat between the master and one (or more) players (especially good when there's a scene that some ppl need to know, and those who are not on it, don't. This could be difficult and I know you can always open 2 programs, but another chat to be kept in the same chatlog is a good idea for a future update (or a new version of the program)

7th >> an option to add dices in the magics (so you can launch that 30d6+1d8 magic without recurring to a lot of hotkeys and the risk of launching one dice too much...

That's it for now, I really hope they're fixed/added as soon as possible! :)

Foen
July 19th, 2008, 05:50
A late edition, brought up on another thread: I'd quite like to have formatted number controls, with fixed decimal places and leading zeroes.

We don't need the whole date/time thing like VB, but some rulesets (BRP, for example) have a d100 convention that uses 05 for 5%.

This can currently be achieved for static fields (by displaying a string), but it would be handy for editable fields too.

Just a thought.

Tenian
July 31st, 2008, 11:19
Late additions but I've been doing more ruleset programming of late and have encountered these.

1) getValue(), setValue() (or new functionally similar options) that support formattedtext

2) Searchable documentation (more of a website thing, but still programming related). Just bundling the docs into a pdf would meet this need.

3) Additional string control alignment functions. There is a <center />. It would be nice to have a <left /> and <right />. Possibly even a <full />.

4) Some way to save data from the console window (any maybe this exists and I'm just too newb to find it). Selectable text so I could copy and paste it out would work. Or some sort of slash command that would dump it to a file (/dumpconsole c:\errors.txt for example).

Wargamer777
July 31st, 2008, 14:30
I'd like to see the priority for token transfers increased or either build in a /reload tokens (graphics, maps, what have you) option. Seems I have had players getting time outs on tokens in some of my games and they never get the tokens on the map.

Oberoten
July 31st, 2008, 21:18
Exposing tokens as bitmap gadgets for all of THAT functionality.

Maybe being able to switch between a DUAL-set of a token could have one at neutral and one taking a swing when it's initiative comes up?

:) See what I mean?

Ghoti
August 3rd, 2008, 00:42
I've brought the game 3 months ago and I just HOPE for these fixes:
7th >> an option to add dices in the magics (so you can launch that 30d6+1d8 magic without recurring to a lot of hotkeys and the risk of launching one dice too much...

Can't you just make a shortcut for "/die 30d6+1d8" and then rename it to whatever you like already?

Oberoten
August 3rd, 2008, 06:50
Yes, I am sure he can, but it'd be convenient and this IS a wishlist

Spyke
August 3rd, 2008, 18:05
4) Some way to save data from the console window (any maybe this exists and I'm just too newb to find it). Selectable text so I could copy and paste it out would work. Or some sort of slash command that would dump it to a file (/dumpconsole c:\errors.txt for example).It's saved automatically in the file console.log in your FG application data folder.

:)

Spyke

Tenian
August 4th, 2008, 01:11
Told ya I was newb!:)

Thanks though!

Vroomfogle
August 4th, 2008, 19:17
Ability to set grid transparent so that it isn't visible but can still be used for movement distances, ranges, etc.

Vroomfogle
August 17th, 2008, 02:19
Maybe being able to switch between a DUAL-set of a token could have one at neutral and one taking a swing when it's initiative comes up?

I'll take this another step forward. Add support for multiple tokens on personalities and characters that can then be cycled through manually....but could also be activated automatically (such as action token when it's PC's turn).

- Idle token
- Action token
- Dead/uncon token
- alternate form token (e.g. lycanthropes)
- spell casting token

All sorts of possibilities here.

Xorn
August 17th, 2008, 05:37
I'd like to chime in on the token loading priority (or forced token reload command). Having players unable to see three 8 KB tokens after 5 minutes of waiting is a bit crazy.

unerwünscht
August 17th, 2008, 05:51
While on the subject of tokens I would like for the token masks (transparent areas) to be set for click through. If you tell me what language the program is written in, I can get you the code spinet to do it.

thiha
August 18th, 2008, 23:20
I'd like an update for making FGII able to display multi-byte fonts in the chat window and char sheets. Then it will literally be usable for any gamers all over the world. RPG gamers are not only from US/EU ;-) Thanks.

demonsbane
August 24th, 2008, 02:23
Along with the already mentioned features of "Hex Grid support" and "Optional Token Facing Indicators", I would suggest:

-The ability for players keeping some of the shared images in the same way they can keep text with their Notes feature.

-A few sounds for the dice rolls?

-A way of enlarging FG II screen, going beyond the Max. Resolution of the screen/monitor, along with some functionalities for displacement, like zooming in/out and scrolling around it.
Many of us find our FG II screen & interface could work better if it were larger... And this "larger" many times means "larger than our larger screen" (or dual screens)!

Regards

Oberoten
August 24th, 2008, 12:46
A thought about combat encounters... I'd love to be able to bunch up a group of NPCs and just have them pre-done for combat tracker with tokens and all.

Like a bag of "Goblins" a bag of "Heroes"
And everytime your PCs and their retinue meets per example the goblins instead of populating each goblin entry by hand... you drag the goblin-bag there and the NPC retinue bag.

Also... a quick "Clear" command for the combat tracker

osarusan
August 27th, 2008, 14:04
In addition to better campaign importing, I'd like to see better campaign inputting in general. At the moment, there's too much clicking and sifting through pages for DM's to do when they want to input NPC's, story, etc. I love the FG system when the data for an adventure is already in the game -- like with a purchased module -- but inputting my own data is far, far, far too cumbersome for me to bother. There are a number of reasons, including the way FG interacts with the rest of the desktop (hiding the taskbar and being non-alt-tab-friendly), as well as the interface within FG. It's a wonderful tool for running a game, but I've found it to be cumbersome when it comes to preparing a game or managing a campaign.

Sorontar
August 27th, 2008, 16:37
In addition to better campaign importing, I'd like to see better campaign inputting in general. At the moment, there's too much clicking and sifting through pages for DM's to do when they want to input NPC's, story, etc. I love the FG system when the data for an adventure is already in the game -- like with a purchased module -- but inputting my own data is far, far, far too cumbersome for me to bother. There are a number of reasons, including the way FG interacts with the rest of the desktop (hiding the taskbar and being non-alt-tab-friendly), as well as the interface within FG. It's a wonderful tool for running a game, but I've found it to be cumbersome when it comes to preparing a game or managing a campaign.

Just as a note - windowed mode makes things so much easier.

Xorn
August 27th, 2008, 21:02
Seconded. Running FG2 in windowed mode (especially during adventure building) really helps. I've gotten the adventure building process pretty streamlined, myself (tooting my own horn). One of my tutorials gives a pretty thorough example of how to put one together.

Xorn
August 27th, 2008, 21:05
While on the subject of tokens I would like for the token masks (transparent areas) to be set for click through. If you tell me what language the program is written in, I can get you the code spinet to do it.

I would really like to see this, too. It's the main reason I haven't been that jazzed for top down tokens; I like stuff extending off the bases too much.

Sigurd
August 27th, 2008, 21:30
I've said it before but, I think that FG would do well to concentrate on making things easier for games masters. Players have more voices but without a GM the game doesn't happen.

Picking a revision and actively courting game masters would be good for game growth. Most of the blurbs are about the player experience. It would be good to generate interest in gming.

And they should bundle Xorn's Tutorials.

Sigurd

The Scriven One
August 28th, 2008, 20:00
Thanks for being so open to our suggestions and requests.

Help available within the program.

Ability to minimize the window without using alt-tab.

Ability to use animated gifs on maps- maybe in a separate layer that won't be affected by the players. It would be awesome to have a fire or waterfall "token".

Edit: For that matter, I have to second the idea that multiple layers for maps would be great for things like dynamic terrain- a bridge that falls out, or a statue that falls over....

The Scriven One
August 28th, 2008, 20:16
A couple more:

Dynamic, subjective fog of war. Allow the GM to define areas on the map that block line of site, then dynamically block off line of sight for PCs depending on where they are in relation to them. Let the GM get a translucent overlay of the view of what a given PC (and/or NPC) can see with an option on the radial menu upon clicking on it's token. It would make masking and unmasking a lot easier, and often unnecessary.

Better lighting options. Let the GM choose up to several colors from a spectrum of light, and give options to cycle them or keep one of them constant. You could have different cycle options, like "flicker", "pulse" , etc. All processing could be done client side, the GM's server would just tell the Player's client what the desired effect was. Give the players the option to shut lighting off, or to freeze it on one color/intensity.

Valarian
August 28th, 2008, 20:27
Picking a revision and actively courting game masters would be good for game growth. Most of the blurbs are about the player experience. It would be good to generate interest in gming.
Personally, I think that the ability to register additional Lite licenses with the Full version to allow unregistered players to connect would go a long way to helping the GMs attract new players to the product. It would mean that you wouldn't need to maintain a separate demo product stream, as unregistered Lite versions would act as a demo. It would allow me to run demo games with other rulesets (to cater for those players who won't play d20) and with more than the two players currently allowed.

demonsbane
August 30th, 2008, 10:29
This can be a bit weird for many of you but... here it goes:

-An interesting feature would be the ability not only of sharing/streaming sounds, but also video files. I'm planning to make simple videos with Flash for enhancing the roleplaying experience, not just static JPG or PNG images. The optional capability of seeing these small videos inside FG II interface would be great...

On the contrary, people doing this (like me) need to tell to the players: "please, you all now switch out of FG and check the following URL or youtube video for seeing the visual narration of what is happening."

-Another cool thing would be the ability of players to keep a full size image of their characters, and the ability of access to it at any time; that is, not only their portrait, which is only the face and in a very small size.

Spyke
August 30th, 2008, 11:02
Another cool thing would be the ability of players to keep a full size image of their characters, and the ability of access to it at any time; that is, not only their portrait, which is only the face and in a very small size.This would be useful as part of a general overhaul of the player 'Notes' facility. It would be great if the the player could save any item shared by the GM: portraits, images, maps, items and, most importantly, pages of text or narration.

sunbeam60
September 1st, 2008, 17:32
I would LOVE an ability to send and receive cross-process messages through the Lua scripting system and an accessible folder (like ProgramData\SmiteWorks\ScriptAccessibleFiles)

I understand it's a double-edged sword, so I'm not talking about an open-ended capability to send and receive any Window message, but merely being able to send and receive a limited string (1024 bytes or some other limited size) would suddenly open up FGII for interacting with other programs.

Imagine a "Generate NPC" button in FG. Press it and fully featured character appears on screen. How about "Play track for all" which lets you start a track on other players' screen. Or what about a "Post this game live to server" where your game gets automatically sent to a live website for others to follow?

All these things would be possible by supporting Lua commands like:
SendMessage("NPCGenerator", "GenerateNewCharacter;lvl=1-5;cls=cleric,fighter")
and
ReceiveMessage("NewCharacters", temporaryFileLocation)
-- NPCGen_ImportCharacter(temporaryFileLocation)

It would mean a program could come with a ruleset extension that installed support for that program into FG. That way, FG becomes a command central as well as a VTT.

Tenian
September 12th, 2008, 18:15
I would love to create resources (icons, frames, etc) dynamically within LUA, preferably from a file name.

Bidmaron
October 2nd, 2008, 00:15
Can you log the feature request of this thread on the last post?
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9057

This would have the last user name recorded as the default start name be the last name used on the computer. This would have the benefit that when you are testing rulesets, the name that defaults on the host would be the last host name used instead of the client name.

Bidmaron
October 2nd, 2008, 00:16
This thread https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9060 discusses an underline bug in story pages. Request it be added to the list.

Foen
October 2nd, 2008, 05:58
Can you log the feature request of this thread on the last post?
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9057

This would have the last user name recorded as the default start name be the last name used on the computer. This would have the benefit that when you are testing rulesets, the name that defaults on the host would be the last host name used instead of the client name.

Just to clarify: it should be the last user name to exit FG, rather than the last user name to start FG.

Stuart

Valarian
October 2nd, 2008, 08:38
Personally, I think that the ability to register additional Lite licenses with the Full version to allow unregistered players to connect would go a long way to helping the GMs attract new players to the product. It would mean that you wouldn't need to maintain a separate demo product stream, as unregistered Lite versions would act as a demo. It would allow me to run demo games with other rulesets (to cater for those players who won't play d20) and with more than the two players currently allowed.
There has been another example (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9061) where being able to register additional Lite licenses with the Full version would allow GMs to run non-d20 demos and entice more GMs in to using Fantasy Grounds. In this case, if Spyke were able to demo the Gurps ruleset to this player, it could've helped to secure sales to the GM and his player group. As it is, the guy is wavering.

Spyke
October 2nd, 2008, 10:05
There has been another example (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9061) where being able to register additional Lite licenses with the Full version would allow GMs to run non-d20 demos and entice more GMs in to using Fantasy Grounds. In this case, if Spyke were able to demo the Gurps ruleset to this player, it could've helped to secure sales to the GM and his player group. As it is, the guy is wavering.
Absolutely. What's more, if I was able to buy floating Lite licences so that I could run games with players who haven't purchased FG yet, I would snap up at least three immediately. I imagine quite a lot of us would. My gut feeling is that there would be enough new GMs enticed to the product this way to more than make up for any loss of licence sales to players who may have bought only a single Lite licence. But I've no idea how you do the market research on that.

Spyke

Oberoten
October 2nd, 2008, 11:05
Absolutely. What's more, if I was able to buy floating Lite licences so that I could run games with players who haven't purchased FG yet, I would snap up at least three immediately. I imagine quite a lot of us would. My gut feeling is that there would be enough new GMs enticed to the product this way to more than make up for any loss of licence sales to players who may have bought only a single Lite licence. But I've no idea how you do the market research on that.

Spyke

I have to agree. I have five other GMs in my pen and paper group. And since we are heading in different directions, most of them have snatched up light licenses. Which means more players, but not more GMs since they are unlikely to re-buy a full license when they allready have a light which can not be legally transfered.

If instead I could have had a light license floating... I could have shown them what the system could do and they would have likely gone for a full liecense when the GM mood struck them. Instead of wanting me to GM until I get a GM burn-out.

demonsbane
October 2nd, 2008, 17:42
(...) If instead I could have had a light license floating... I could have shown them what the system could do and they would have likely gone for a full liecense when the GM mood struck them. Instead of wanting me to GM until I get a GM burn-out.

In these posts, Valarian, Spyke and Oberoten have exposed their arguments and me -being myself of the same opinion- don't have anything to add, except stating: They are right.

Griogre
October 2nd, 2008, 20:07
They may be right, but that really isn't the question here. The real question Smiteworks has to ponder is whether floating licences will hurt or help their sales long term. There are also some real security concerns with floating licences.

The other side of the fence is will floating licenses help or hurt GMs, in general? If you offer a player a slot in one of your games on a floating license - is the player anymore likely to drop out over a guy who paid for his license? If you look at Klooge where pretty much all players expect floating licenses, is the smaller number of players caused by floating licenses?

Foen
October 2nd, 2008, 20:12
My view, for its smalll worth, is that any player not prepared to pay a few dollars to join a game isn't a great player to have. GMs put considerable effort into each and every outing, and the players get hours of fun for a very small outlay.

Just a view!

Stuart

Foen
October 2nd, 2008, 20:13
PS: This isn't like WOW or DDO, as you only pay once.

Stuart

demonsbane
October 2nd, 2008, 20:29
Griogre's and Foen's thoughts deserve some consideration, too. I respect your views, mates.

Valarian
October 2nd, 2008, 21:14
My view, for its smalll worth, is that any player not prepared to pay a few dollars to join a game isn't a great player to have. GMs put considerable effort into each and every outing, and the players get hours of fun for a very small outlay.
Please remember that not all of us are thirty somethings with decent jobs who can afford the outlay without too much regard on whether we'll actually like the software or get much play out of it. For those, like college students, who need to make sure; the flexibility of having some additional player licenses as a GM would go a long way to bringing these people in. Plus, if they've had a chance to familiarise themselves with Fantasy Grounds, when they do buy they may go for the more expensive Full version rather than the Lite license.

In terms of major competitors, both Klooge and Battlegrounds RPG offer floating licenses and Maptool is free. My feel is that we need this functionality to bring more people to Fantasy Grounds. My feel is that we also need this functionality to bring more of the non-d20 gamers in.

Spyke
October 2nd, 2008, 21:28
All good points on both sides of the argument. It's a tricky one...

Is there a compromise? Could there be useful restrictions on floating licences?

What if only one or two floating licences were allowed in any one game session? This would allow demos and small group play but provide a driver for players who like the environment to get their own copy.

The much-requested ability to upgrade a Lite licence to a Full would also help.

Spyke

unerwünscht
October 2nd, 2008, 21:32
In terms of major competitors, both Klooge and Battlegrounds RPG offer floating licenses and Maptool is free. My feel is that we need this functionality to bring more people to Fantasy Grounds. My feel is that we also need this functionality to bring more of the non-d20 gamers in.

My understanding is that this has been requested since the day the software was released, and Smite Works knowing they would lose business if they said they had no intentions of ever implementing it have decided to say they will look into it.

In the end it has been more than long enough at this point for them to have done it if they were going to. Bottom line is that it will never happen. So buy your full license if you are a DM, and send your players packing if they wont invest in the lite license. You will probably be able to find players on the forum here if you are running a D20 game. If not, good luck.

Foen
October 2nd, 2008, 21:34
My apologies, I did not mean to presume any particular wealth. I am, however, still aware that the cost of a client licence is comparable to a pizza or a couple of beers (at least in the UK).

And for an FG licence, you get perpetual fun. :)

Just a view

Stuart

demonsbane
October 2nd, 2008, 21:40
Please remember that not all of us are thirty somethings with decent jobs (...) In terms of major competitors, both Klooge and Battlegrounds RPG offer floating licenses and Maptool is free. My feel is that we need this functionality to bring more people to Fantasy Grounds. My feel is that we also need this functionality to bring more of the non-d20 gamers in.

Right. I think that Valarian is speaking of is the main Fantasy Grounds 2 marketing weakness: the others offer cheaper costs, floating licenses or are simply free... However none of them is an app like Fantasy Grounds 2 is.

Tricky issue.

Ram Tyr
October 2nd, 2008, 22:09
I am with those that warn against floating licenses.

Reasoning (https://forums.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=21042&postcount=5)

I just want to throw out another point of view on this issue. Sometimes the underlying policy positions of a business strategy are critical to success. Please note that if you only read a piece of my post it may seem like I’m opposing all suggestions to change. In fact, I do suggest a business strategy that would increase the attractiveness of FG. Like in all things, there is no business decision that will make all people happy. Smiteworks has to pick a strategy that works for them, and for enough consumers to sustain their business, and run with it.

I’ll start my post by stating three points and then discuss them below.

First, concerning the actual price (of either full or lite versions); in the tradition of capitalism, the price will end up being what the market can bear. They have been improving the program, and as long as it is supported by Smiteworks, the community of folks using the program will grow if the price is not prohibitive. Low sales create a pressure to reduce the price to increase sales.

Second, as a member of the community, I like that everyone has to make a financial commitment to purchase the software. The current business practice contains this element. The suggestion above (by Lord Byte) doesn’t have this element.

Third, as a potential DM, I would not want there to be any expectation that I should provide the software to players in my campaign. I’ve spent some time thinking about this and I don’t like the model being offered that creates that expectation. If I elect to provide the software to a player, I can do so by purchasing the lite version. Certainly, the DM is doing so much to get a campaign running that applying additional financial pressure, regardless of how subtle, is not the way to go.

So, I’m not going to address the actual price of the full and lite versions. Everyone that has purchased the product has shown the price is acceptable. Everyone that elects not to make a purchase is also making a statement about the price. If someone with good business sense is making these decisions for Smiteworks, they know whether they need to reduce the price to stimulate sales of FG.

I think my second and third points are really intertwined. Online gaming comes with certain inherent realities. A big factor is the historical unreliability of the players. I believe that player purchases provide some incentive not to break too many commitments. Of course, this is not a perfect indicator, but it is better than no indicator. (Just think of all the folks in the world that join health clubs thinking, “I just spent $X, you bet I’m going from now on.” Gyms would be overflowing if that was a perfect incentive, and that’s noting that gym memberships are more than the current price of FG.)

Also, the community is small enough that we can easily identify people that commit to campaigns and then drop out, whether player or DM. As a community we know what we are getting as people develop a history. Even as the community grows, this will be possible through using FG forums and fan sites like Adventuresome Dreams.

With the proposal to have DM licenses that allow anyone to fill the DM’s player slots, both of those items are removed. No incentive, no community history. As a player, I would be wary of a group that I knew that some of the players might keep swapping in and out. As DM, I would be downright frightened of making it available.

The only situation this seems to work (to me) is for a DM that wants to bring in a particular group of players that are unwilling to pay $X for a license. (This is equivalent to Lord Byte’s situation, since they want to be able to recoup the purchase price. The voice of the market!) I would suggest that this could be addressed by allowing a group discount for purchasing licenses. Allow a bundle of three licenses (either full or lite) and a bundle of five licenses (either full or lite) to be sold. (For clarity, a bundle would contain only one kind of license, but you could buy bundles of full or lite licenses. So, a bundle of three full, of three lite, of five full, or five lite.) Again, the price of each bundle would have to be set based on market pressures. But, it would obviously need to be set at a price point low enough for one person to make the “gift” purchase, and/or for the price per license to be low enough that the players are no longer concerned with recouping the purchase price when they elect to stop using FG.

I believe that bundles should be for both full and lite because I believe it’s best to game with other people that can host and run sessions. If the DM goes on a two week vacation, one or two other people in the group could then run a one shot session!

Anyway, that’s just my thoughts on this. I’m sure that some others may feel differently, but I wanted to put my point of view out there in the “marketplace of ideas”. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Later.
Ramza

Later.

Vroomfogle
October 3rd, 2008, 05:08
I mostly agree with Foen and others. I think that the cost of a license is not that much to invest, even for college students it is covered by staying home and playing some FG rather then going to the pub.

However, I do think there's probably a solution here to help demo FG to new people without resorting to a floating licenses. What about allowing all full versions of FG to allow a single client to connect for purposes of demoing a session to a new user. This could even be further restricted in some way, such as a time limit of 2 hours to certain IP or something similar. The idea here is allow a new user to jevaluate the software in a real gaming session but not be able to be used as a replacement for an actual license.

Sigurd
October 3rd, 2008, 19:03
We're ready to 'wish' this program was free. But if we are wishing resources away from its creators in doing so we're not exactly encouraging growth imho. I have understanding for anyone who wants to spend less money but I think this is cheap, not just inexpensive, cheap.

I've played perhaps 300 sessions and used this software every time. I've used books and programs for RPGs but never every session. Compare the cost to a tank of gas anywhere. As a one time cost I don't think its an issue.

Two reasons I like these licenses

1. It keeps the program from getting fees based on time used. The programmers have to make something somewhere to keep this going. The alternative is some sort of solution that tracks customer use once they start playing and thats complicated, insecure and expensive.

2. A small hurdle to joining the community. I like that you have to poney up a few bucks to play. I wouldn't like to see the games filled with players drifting through and trying it even though they don't like RPGs. I want this to be a popular program but I want everyone to invest a little into making this a richer experience.
I encourage everyone to try this game but not if you don't want to. If its not worth buying the license you're probably saving everyone some time. I'd rather that moment of decision happen at the store, not in my game session where other people might rely on you. Once you have the software its something you obviously value and I think you're more likely to use it.

My best advice to people is to try the Demo. Thats what its there for. After that if you like it buy the full license because you can't upgrade the lite version later.

If you can afford an internet connection you can afford this application. I've probably saved $500+ on gas costs and stayed off the dangerous highways. Whats more, considering all the free effort people put into the community and the low cost software its a bargoon.

I'd be happy if they did away with the lite license all together. Every person who buys the program and can't DM can't create their own games. Every DM means 2-6? players.

Sigurd

middlemonster
October 7th, 2008, 12:03
I'm sure this point has already been made, but DDI isn't even out yet and they're going to charge monthly starting this month (I think). The game table isn't even scheduled for release until sometime next year. So everyone should feel privileged that they have such a remarkable piece of software that will allow them to make fully customizable pen and paper games, or even table top strategy, and common board games (like heroquest or even monopoly) the customization in FG 2 is virtually limitless. 3D isn't part of it but I'm sure it'll be on its way once FG 3 becomes a major project. The thing that Smiteworks needs isn't to lower the price they need to advertise. I accidentally found out about FG 2 while flaming Wizards for not releasing DDI on time. I wish I had known about it years ago. Actually if Smiteworks could bring in a larger customer base than it could potentially lower its prices, but of course I think that FG 2 is worth the price considering its such a sophisticated piece of software.

So I guess my points are FG 2 is the best there is and its cheaper and 100% more available than DDI. Also, Smiteworks you have to advertise better, its not enough to have people accidentally find out about you through word of mouth. What you should do is advertise on newgrounds, get some digg articles, and get out of a limo with no panties on at a rpg convention.

I mean of course you could just sell out and make a deal with WotC and make a 4th edition ruleset and then they could task you to make DDI for them (well if they can afford you). But, don't do that, you must beat them and make them suffer for their evil trickery. What you should do is make a deal with White Wolf and get some funding. Not that I have a clue about anything that has to do with business.

Oh and separate the guild forums into different gaming systems to make it more organized. Like D&D 3.5, D&D 4E, D&D Classics, Savage Worlds, World of Darkness, for example.

Sigurd
October 7th, 2008, 17:39
I don't think everyone who writes a module will keep to a system but I'd like some sort of system to narrow my searches.

Adv - Adventures
DMO - DM only

That comes to mind.

Ideally - Modules would keep their extension but we could file them wherever we wanted in sub directories under \mod. The program would parse \mod. and take the 'category' from our directory name. It would keep a list and DMOnly would be listed as a short form for DM's Modules or some such. The program would take all the mod files in 'DMOnly' and list them according to the full names and order of the kept list.

Sigurd

phloog
October 31st, 2008, 13:38
Probably covered in some fashion, so maybe these are votes/emphasis:

1) Grid with variable color, and ideally with transparency - overlaying the grid on map with an existing grid is an invitation to madness/headaches

1a) Zoom in feature that allows grid creation - or any tool you can think of to allow us to create a grid that exactly follows an existing map grid

1b) Grid recognition: The software uses Space Age Technology (TM) to find the grid on a map, and it uses that

2) Double click for ALL numeric fields-anything that has a number should allow for an instant Roll+[that number] on double click...for games other than d20-based, allow a GM option to change the global die assignation. If I want to roll a d20 plus my Armor Class for some fool reason, it should be possible without manually scripting it into each field.

3) Convince Green Ronin to let someone make an official and complete True20 set for FG.

4) Obviously, some form of export or print capability would be nice

Thanks,
JT

Foen
October 31st, 2008, 13:58
While working on the Rolemaster ruleset, with its darned tables everywhere, I have frequently wished for an onSizeChanged event for windowcontrols (not just windowinstances).

Stuart

Sigurd
October 31st, 2008, 18:37
I'd like the player to be able to copy their characters to a passport. The program would keep all instances of a character in sequential order. It could append a 3 digit number to the end of the character name ie Buzzbee-001, Buzzbee-002 etc...

A separate procedure would allow the DM to import appropriate ruleset passports with the logic...
1. no (refuse request)
2. Select from list
3. Import most recent
4. Import everything

The characters from the passport would be imported and the program would ask: "Select ownership: <Player> or <none>

This would have two big advantages.

1) It would allow players to have meaningful backups of their characters to join other games with.
2) The community might then begin amassing NPCs for DMs if there was some way to move a character into the personality block.

Foen
October 31st, 2008, 18:44
Another real boon would be a <groupcontrol> which allows window controls to be gathered in an enclosing control. This would allow:

Templates to create complex controls without having to use subwindows; and
Contained controls to be positioned relative to the group and hence repositioned more easily.

I think the groupcontrol could usefully have a frame and anchor/bounds, and perhaps a tag to control whether or not contained controls would be clipped by the group control, or could extend beyond the group boundaries.

That would be a fab addition for ruleset creators.

Stuart

wigwam
November 1st, 2008, 17:30
OK just a little wish at the moment: inline images/thumbnails.

kaffien
November 5th, 2008, 15:59
I'd like a movable chat window. It's ridiculous that it's locked in place.

This would make it playable on all the millions of sub-notebooks out there.

Support for 1024x600 would be awesome.

demonsbane
November 5th, 2008, 18:56
I'd like a movable chat window. It's ridiculous that it's locked in place.

This would make it playable on all the millions of sub-notebooks out there.

Support for 1024x600 would be awesome.

Seconded. That is a great suggestion, IMO.

EDIT: 1024x600 is exactly the screen resolution of most sub-notebooks.

Sigurd
November 6th, 2008, 01:31
Good idea!

It could even have a hot-keyed chat window that was full screen. So the maps and the tokens and such or ....click..... chat window. If the switch between windows could be fast I think people with smaller screens would use it a lot.

Sigurd

sondermann
November 6th, 2008, 02:31
Not sure if someone alredy mentioned this, but: Sounds. I want to be able to play sound effects using FGII (not to mention videos). I've seen other applications do this and I don't want to go back and forth between skype and FGII.

kaffien
November 6th, 2008, 17:42
I'm not sure about you guys but my players all want voice chat.

I've entertained idea's with Ventrillo or team speak but it would be nice if there was some sort of voice chat option or even integration with Ventrillo / team speak.

kaffien
November 6th, 2008, 17:56
Let me minimize my fantasy grounds 2 window.
Also please fix the crashing that occurs when you use alt-tab to minimize / bring back.

Thanks for being so open to our suggestions and requests.

Help available within the program.

Ability to minimize the window without using alt-tab.

Ability to use animated gifs on maps- maybe in a separate layer that won't be affected by the players. It would be awesome to have a fire or waterfall "token".

Edit: For that matter, I have to second the idea that multiple layers for maps would be great for things like dynamic terrain- a bridge that falls out, or a statue that falls over....

Spyke
November 6th, 2008, 18:11
Also please fix the crashing that occurs when you use alt-tab to minimize / bring back.I've not noticed it crash when using alt-tab. It sometimes doesn't get the focus back, but another alt-tab sorts that out.

I alt-tab in and out of FG all the time (I'm doing it right now). Is it an XP/Vista thing (I'm on XP)?

Spyke

Sorontar
November 6th, 2008, 19:05
I've not noticed it crash when using alt-tab. It sometimes doesn't get the focus back, but another alt-tab sorts that out.

I alt-tab in and out of FG all the time (I'm doing it right now). Is it an XP/Vista thing (I'm on XP)?

Spyke

I thought it was DirectX that was the issue. I play in windowed mode personally so don't have the problem.

Oberoten
November 6th, 2008, 21:58
A little bleep or a flashing taskbar if you are in another window would be REALLY aprechiated.

That way if you look up things on the web and/or get distracted by the cat you don't miss what your players or fellow players actually say.

- Obe

demonsbane
November 7th, 2008, 01:20

Yes, it would be very useful...

Also please fix the crashing that occurs when you use alt-tab to minimize / bring back.

I don't know that crashing, nor even in Vista.

Not sure if someone alredy mentioned this, but: Sounds. I want to be able to play sound effects using FGII (not to mention videos). I've seen other applications do this and I don't want to go back and forth between skype and FGII.

Sounds. Videos. Sure! I want to transfer in some way sounds & music & videos to my players through for showing them inside the FG2 interface.

It is disrupting to tell them: "please, now do alt+tab and copy paste this url in your web browser for downloading and viewing the following .avi".

kaffien
November 7th, 2008, 18:20
I thought it was DirectX that was the issue. I play in windowed mode personally so don't have the problem.

I can't even minimize my fantasy grounds in window'd mode!

demonsbane
November 8th, 2008, 04:47
I can't even minimize my fantasy grounds in window'd mode!

Nobody can ;^D

Hence the frequency of this petition.

Valarian
November 8th, 2008, 07:34
Windows key + D
Not tried it with players actually connected

Oberoten
November 8th, 2008, 08:10
I use this one frequently too. And yes, it works.

demonsbane
November 8th, 2008, 17:29
Windows key + D
Not tried it with players actually connected

Isn't that the Show Desktop option? Of course it minimizes FG2 window... because Show Desktop automatically minimizes perforce all windows and apps.

The issue is: with Windows key + D, or clicking in the Show Desktop icon in the Taskbar, you can't minimize FG2 alone without minimizing also the other things you can be running at the same time.

This isn't ideal for some people (specially for those using two displays) because they can have opened some PDF documents for consulting and such, without no interest in minimizing them and losing them of sight.

Anyway, I didn't know the keyboard shortcut for "Show desktop". Thanks.

kaffien
November 12th, 2008, 20:23
Every time I 'lock' my computer when i leave the workstation and come back if fantasy grounds was open it will freeze. The only button that works is the X button.

This happens in both vista 32bit and 64bit.

No event log is generated and no GPF occurs. The program simply locks.
This occurs in a Domain environment and non domain environments.

Valarian
November 12th, 2008, 21:06
You'll probably have to use Alt-Tab to move back to FGII after unlocking the PC. Using the mouse won't do it, and even if it looks as though FGII is the only application the lock PC window would've taken control away from FGII.

Sigurd
November 29th, 2008, 05:35
I'd love an radial command for the image window that zooms to 25, 50, 75, 100, 125, 150 and 200 percent of the base image. I'd like it if it would resize the border around the picture to fit, if it was a reasonable size. Ideally it would change the colour of image sizes options outside of the screen range.

Reason: I can modify all my images to be of a size but I can't quickly select a size for display in game.

Alternately I'd love to see 4 buttons on each axis of the image window.

https://wm23.inbox.com/thumbs/6a_9fa5c_18872d9c_oP.png.thumb

UL = Upper Limit for that axis (Set in a dialog on DM Machine.
LL = Lower Limit
1/2, x2 - reduces the view 1/2 or multiplies x2 for that axis.

I'm not sure about the second set of 1/2 & x2. It could be that the Y axis buttons would be relative to the current zoom level and the X axis would be absolute based on the pixel size of the file.

Sigurd

- Not the highest priority but it would be slick and hey. its a wish list.

cogollo
December 7th, 2008, 22:27
I'd like to be able to assign "line of sight" characteristics to the tokens of each player (torches, lamps, darkvision,...) and that the program used these characteristics to automatically update the mask of the maps (i.e., the fog of war effect).

It would also be nice if each player was able to see in their windows only what their tokens would be able to see (i.e., personalize each player's view depending on the "line of sight" properties of their tokens).

Bidmaron
December 15th, 2008, 12:02
On the d20 ruleset, if you fill the note page of a character sheet, there is no scroller. The only way to scroll is to click in the text and use the up/down arrow keys.

Tenian
December 15th, 2008, 12:22
Does the mouse wheel work? Most controls can be scrolled using the mousewheel even if a scroller control is not present

Spyke
December 15th, 2008, 13:49
Does the mouse wheel work? Most controls can be scrolled using the mousewheel even if a scroller control is not presentBidmaron's correct. Mousewheel scrolling doesn't work in multi-line text fields, IIRC. It would be nice if this was added.

Spyke

Foen
December 15th, 2008, 17:36
It's a fault with the stringfield/stringcontrol controls. One way around it (clunky) is to put the control in a sub-window, as sub-windows *do* scroll.

I'd vote for scrolling stringfield/stringcontrol controls any day.

Foen

Callum
December 23rd, 2008, 11:37
Two things I'd like to see:-

Tokens from modules persisting on maps between sessions.
A visual indication in the combat tracker that a character is dead (i.e. wounds are greater than total hp).

Spyke
December 23rd, 2008, 15:27
Two things I'd like to see:-

... A visual indication in the combat tracker that a character is dead (i.e. wounds are greater than total hp).
That might possibly count as automation and against the licence agreement for d20 (which I'm assuming you're referring to), though it may not be possible to class 'reaching zero' as a d20-specific rule. Having said that, of course, games like GURPS use negative hit points to indicate injured characters so if such a thing were coded into a default ruleset we'd have to strip it out again ;)

Spyke

Bidmaron
December 27th, 2008, 04:56
This thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8142) reported the inability to control token visibility through script, and I can't find anything to say that this has ever been fixed. Request you add this one to the bug list at the start of this thread.

Foen
December 27th, 2008, 06:53
It has been fixed, and I've amended the other thread to reflect it.

Cheers

Foen

calipoet
January 4th, 2009, 06:54
Hear hear! I would especially like a graphical IDE for rulesets and char sheets. This is such a good program. But I'm not a programmer, and trying to figure out how fully customize a character sheet for Fallout PnP is making my head spin. :)

Oberoten
January 18th, 2009, 10:38
How about making tokens a drop-in thing like images in campaigns?

That way we could choose and pick the tokens to be uploaded after hand instead of having to load every concieveable combination at program start and hence slowing ALL transfers to a crawl.

- Obe

VenomousFiligree
January 18th, 2009, 16:32
I always find space is at a premium especially when DMing. I would like all objects on the VT to me moveable / resizeable / minimiseable.

At present there is a gap to the left of the chat window that is a total waste of space. Being able to make portraits smaller would help as well.

Virginal raccoon
February 17th, 2009, 11:40
To have FG to work in Linux would be great. Right now FG can be run in Linux and it works quite well, but the UI-elements keep flickering black and back making the program very tough to use. These problems have been discussed here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6499

I would hope, that FG developers would check out the problem if they would have some ideas how to fix it.

Culdraug
February 17th, 2009, 18:59
Please forgive me if this has been mentioned elsewhere or i am just too newb to know better.

Different colored die. For example it would be nice to color a custom die separate so I know what it is.

Die that can be made invisible

Also, I would like to reiterate something suggested before. Having characters controlled by the player. That would make them more personal for the player.

Thanks for a great program and listening.

Spyke
February 17th, 2009, 20:35
Also, I would like to reiterate something suggested before. Having characters controlled by the player. That would make them more personal for the player.Players can run multiple characters simply by selecting them from the selection screen after logging in. If you mean allowing players to move tokens, this is also already possible. The GM has to right-click and choose 'Unlock Tokens'.

Spyke

Culdraug
February 18th, 2009, 13:43
This was what I was referring to. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

I'd like the player to be able to copy their characters to a passport. The program would keep all instances of a character in sequential order. It could append a 3 digit number to the end of the character name ie Buzzbee-001, Buzzbee-002 etc...

A separate procedure would allow the DM to import appropriate ruleset passports with the logic...
1. no (refuse request)
2. Select from list
3. Import most recent
4. Import everything

The characters from the passport would be imported and the program would ask: "Select ownership: <Player> or <none>

This would have two big advantages.

1) It would allow players to have meaningful backups of their characters to join other games with.
2) The community might then begin amassing NPCs for DMs if there was some way to move a character into the personality block.

Valarian
February 18th, 2009, 14:10
Amendment to limit module visibility to an extension as well as a ruleset. We could do with another tag (e.g. <extension>) in the module definition.xml that would define a specific extension the module relates to.

When defined in the definition.xml, the module should be visible when an extension is activated if it is listed in an extension tag. This would allow you to define a module to be activated for more than one extension. If no extensions are listed (no extension tags), then the module should be visible for the whole ruleset.

00Davo
February 26th, 2009, 06:32
To have FG to work in Linux would be great. Right now FG can be run in Linux and it works quite well, but the UI-elements keep flickering black and back making the program very tough to use. These problems have been discussed here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6499

I would hope, that FG developers would check out the problem if they would have some ideas how to fix it.
Seconded. Flickering makes FG pretty much unusable. :(

unerwünscht
February 26th, 2009, 06:43
Seconded. Flickering makes FG pretty much unusable. :(

I really do not understand this... If you are smart enough to be able to manage Linux you should be more than smart enough to figure out how to set up a dual boot system. Come on think about it man.

00Davo
February 27th, 2009, 11:07
I really do not understand this... If you are smart enough to be able to manage Linux you should be more than smart enough to figure out how to set up a dual boot system. Come on think about it man.
I know how to set up a dual-boot system. I don't want to install another OS simply to use FG, or reboot every time I want to play an RPG. Everything else I run works fine in Wine - I shouldn't need another OS for FG.

Sigurd
February 28th, 2009, 21:02
I know how to set up a dual-boot system. I don't want to install another OS simply to use FG, or reboot every time I want to play an RPG. Everything else I run works fine in Wine - I shouldn't need another OS for FG.

I appreciate your sentiment but there's no should or shouldn't in a free market. Wine will improve (I hope) and run windows games like FG2. It's really outside of the typical design goals for a windows application to run well under emulation. Not saying it wouldn't be a good thing but I imagine the game will be a better Windows application before it will be a better wine application, if you understand my meaning.

But hey, its a _wish_ list not a _demand_ list :D

Sigurd

Virginal raccoon
March 4th, 2009, 10:13
Yes, I do know how to set up one and I already have two operating systems in my computer. Having said that, Linux is still the operating system I mainly use and I would like to see as many programs I want to use as possible to work without the need to reboot my computer and to use a different operating system. Also, people I most probably would use FG with are Linux users, too, and I am quite sure that not all of them have a dual booting system and that they would not like to set up one just for one thing to work.

(I would also like to mention, that I really do not think that you have to be "smart" to "manage Linux" nowadays. Installing and using a modern Linux system is about as easy as using some other operating system. You just have to be willing to learn something new and be ready to accept that some things within Linux may not work exactly like the way you are used to.)

PneumaPilot
March 7th, 2009, 19:36
I don't know if this has been stated anywhere (I didn't see it in the initial post in this thread), but can we just turn on the ability to actually minimize the Fantasy Grounds window? Since it doesn't minimize, it has strange behavior when you alt-tab to switch apps (which practically everyone does). If I click somewhere in the fantasy grounds window (if maximized) after looking at a PDF and try to start typing in the chat window, it won't work. I have to actually select the FG2 app from the start bar to get it working right. My players are experiencing the same malfunction. I ought to be able to just switch to the FG2 window with alt-tab or click on a visible portion of the window and have it come to the top and work instantly.

Valarian
March 9th, 2009, 14:12
I ought to be able to just switch to the FG2 window with alt-tab or click on a visible portion of the window and have it come to the top and work instantly.
I've found that you should always use the ALT-TAB method to switch back to FGII. It's something to do with the DirectX handling I think. Just clicking on the screen doesn't work.

Valarian
March 9th, 2009, 14:17
Could we have something to limit a module visibility to an extension as well as a ruleset? The reason being that, when using a character sheet extension I've created, I'm still seeing the rules modules for the 3.5e extension. The modules are for the Foundation ruleset, but only make sense for the 3.5e extension.

Details: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9758

storminj
April 7th, 2009, 18:11
I am sure this was mentioned but ...

Either a printable or viewable character sheet so can work on character offline without having to track in separate excel spreadsheet. Best is lite versions would be able to change character offline and have DM approve the next game. The second best would be just to either export in csv or pdf formats.

Valarian
April 8th, 2009, 10:56
Either a printable or viewable character sheet so can work on character offline without having to track in separate excel spreadsheet. Best is lite versions would be able to change character offline and have DM approve the next game. The second best would be just to either export in csv or pdf formats.
Printing character sheets is discussed in this thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8765

CampbellR66
April 10th, 2009, 22:19
A campaign log for the dm to record characters plus xp awards

Record of encounters and items assigned etc.

Spyke
April 10th, 2009, 23:11
A campaign log for the dm to record characters plus xp awards

Record of encounters and items assigned etc.It's not fancy, but the GM can use a story page for that. Ideally start a new story group and then you can add pages to the campaign as required.

Spyke

Qual
May 31st, 2009, 07:12
Sharable chat log: We had some network issues during a game the other day, and all the players (of which I was one) kept getting disconnected every hour or so. On reconnect, I would start out with a blank chat, and I was really missing the log. It would be great if a connecting player could load a chat log somehow.

In the "deluxe" model, the system would support sending a chat log this way. When the server wants to send a chat log, it would first decide the "end point". That end point would be sent to all receivers as chat. Then the log up to that point would be sent to all receivers.

The receivers could clear the start of their logs up to the end point, and then insert the received log at the start. This way, if they keep getting messages while the log is transferring, the messages will go after the end point of the log like they should. ('Cause folks will just keep chatting away. :-)

The easiest way to send would be for the DM to "share" the chat log with a new player. If you want to get really fancy, where clients join and leave could be part of the log, and then the system could send a returning client only those parts of the log he had been part of...

But all of that's more fancy than needed. I would take the DM just being able to share the whole thing to me when I reconnect after being dropped.

Tenian
June 26th, 2009, 13:05
Support for z-order with the getPosition()/setPosition methods (or new versions created i.e getPostionZ(), setPositionZ())

This would enable bringing windows to the font/sending them to the back, etc. Right now the only way to bring a window to the front is to close it and reopen it which works okay for bound windows, but can be a real pain for windows not bound to the database that contain data.

Foen
June 26th, 2009, 22:16
There is already a bringToFront and sendToBack (I think that is what they are called) but it applies to rendering order (for anchoring) and not z-order.

Foen

CampbellR66
July 2nd, 2009, 20:49
1) seperate server and DM client so server can stay active
2) Add a lobby or some mechanism to comunicate with players out of session. Maybe even allow player client to request tabletop refresh because as things stand unless the client is logged in when image is distributed the client gets zip when they connect. This is often a problem after forced disconnect

CampbellR66
July 16th, 2009, 19:55
An additional request having just nerfed a plot when the combat tracker red flagged my main opposition NPC by name when he was not none by sight to them .... needless to say the party reacted and it kinda burst the bubble...

Please could we have an alternate description option for unknown combatants like "The sinister cloaked man" until the NPC is known .... a bit like an identified magic item.

Thought it worth a mention

Griogre
July 16th, 2009, 22:17
You know you can change the name in the combat tracker or personality to anything thing you want? When I ran 3.5 it was not uncommon to see names like "Black Thing," "Voice in the Dark," "Player Slayer," ect on my combat tracker. I now run 4E and typically I change the names on the encounter list. When you load the encounter list it uses the name on the encounter list not the one out of the personality list.

It works both ways, too. Give a monster a name and the players only know what the monster is through your description. This works even better if you have players that have every monster memorized.

Personally, I wouldn't mind a un-indentified name for a monster - except in 4E the knowledge checks are so trivial to get monster names they will almost always know after the first few levels. Also now that you can eaisly change the names in encounter listings before they are loaded into the tracker it seems less important to me.

This feature is a ruleset feature, by the way. If you want it you should mention it to whoever made the ruleset you are using - it could be Smiteworks - but it could also be someone else.

Foen
July 16th, 2009, 22:25
Perhaps a bit off-topic, but the Rolemaster ruleset has two label fields for NPCs: name and 'appears', and the ability to toggle an NPC between identified and not identified. Having implemented it, I wouldn't usually use it myself as my players don't do much meta-gaming and it can be irksome to have to think up an 'appears' description for every npc.

Cearlan
July 30th, 2009, 22:08
After skimming through this thread - I got one - apologies if it has been mentioned already.

If programs like IE and netscape / firefox can automatically set up routers etc then why can't FGII. I realise that these companies are mega-corporations and smiteworks does not have their resources, but surely it's not that difficult to impliment this into the program itself, or is it?

Like everything in the world it's easy when you know how to, well despite some excellent help on here - I am still umable to master this skill. As a result my full licence lied relatively dormant. I'd love to run some CoC games for example, but cannot get my head round the techniques involved.

I think this puts a lot of people getting FG - because not everyone is capable / knowlegable enough to perform this kind of surgery on their firewalls etc.

Oberoten
July 30th, 2009, 23:26
The difference lies in that these mentioned programs are client software, they connect to a server somewhere and gets data served up.

Fantasy Grounds is Server software in Host-mode. This means that you do indeed need to set up not the program... it is fully content hosting where it sits, but your connection to the web so that it can be found from the outside and actually connected to.

This would be the same if you decided to host a webserver or a FTP server or pretty much any other server-program.

- Obe

Griogre
July 31st, 2009, 05:56
To further clarify the router and many firewalls don't have to do anything for browsers to work. This is the same for FG's *players* - players typically have to do nothing to connect to as a client a properly setup FG server. Connecting to an FG server is just like using a browser as far as connections go.

Zeus
July 31st, 2009, 07:55
In order to ease network setup for FGII hosted sessions; for those who are not network/firewall savvy could FGII not leverage UPNP in the future.

UPNP would allow FGII to automatically request open/forwarded port(s) from the firewall once in host mode and would negate the need for users to manually configure/open/forward ports required by the application.

UPNP is quite a well established and mature solution. Given FGII is able to discover external IP address etc suggests its already in communication with the external firewall device to identify the NAT config and external IP.

Oh well just a thought.

Spyke
July 31st, 2009, 15:59
In order to ease network setup for FGII hosted sessions; for those who are not network/firewall savvy could FGII not leverage UPNP in the future.And UPnP support might, just might, let you host from behind a hotel firewall if they've got modern equipment.

(Without setting up a VPN connection for your group, I mean.)

Spyke

Stargrove
September 3rd, 2009, 05:46
This has probably been mentioned here already (~14 pages is a bit much to go through), but I thought I would throw in my two cents...

Having dynamic line of sight / fog of war based on environment and lighting conditions on a per character basis would be great. Just adds a bit more realism to the game. This is something that often gets overlooked in PnP games I have played in the past, but to be able to have it in FG would be great.

James

Berova
September 5th, 2009, 21:35
There should be some way for players to easily see ongoing effects currently active on a character or creature such as on either on the Combat Tracker or on the label of a token on the map when you move the mouse over the token (so the on going effect or effects are appended to the name/label).

It would be nice to add conditions as well similarly.

This would free-up the DM's time from having to lookup and answer such questions from the players.

DNH
September 6th, 2009, 17:19
There should be some way for players to easily see ongoing effects currently active on a character or creature such as on either on the Combat Tracker or on the label of a token on the map when you move the mouse over the token (so the on going effect or effects are appended to the name/label).

It would be nice to add conditions as well similarly.

This would free-up the DM's time from having to lookup and answer such questions from the players.

The latest version of moon_wizard's 4E_JPG ruleset (2.0, not yet released) does all this for 4e, at least as far as the CT is concerned anyway.

Altarus
October 3rd, 2009, 01:28
for Invisible Chars. dont you mean like fog of war type thingy?

gmkieran
October 9th, 2009, 02:52
I couldn't bring myself to read through the entire series of posts in this thread, so if someone else brought this up and I missed it, my apologies! When I first started building a campaign in FG I hoped that I would be able to lay out each encounter in advance, complete with associated combat tracker, so that I would only have to arrange my player tokens on the map and we'd be ready to go. It would be a lovely feature to add if the system could store separate instances of the combat tracker associated with individual maps/encounters so that you could, in fact, lay out every encounter ahead of time. Might be nice if the .mod file stored token scale information, too, so that it was only necessary to scale tokens to maps during the campaign creation process. Just a couple thoughts.

osarusan
October 16th, 2009, 16:20
I couldn't bring myself to read through the entire series of posts in this thread, so if someone else brought this up and I missed it, my apologies! When I first started building a campaign in FG I hoped that I would be able to lay out each encounter in advance, complete with associated combat tracker, so that I would only have to arrange my player tokens on the map and we'd be ready to go. It would be a lovely feature to add if the system could store separate instances of the combat tracker associated with individual maps/encounters so that you could, in fact, lay out every encounter ahead of time. Might be nice if the .mod file stored token scale information, too, so that it was only necessary to scale tokens to maps during the campaign creation process. Just a couple thoughts.

If you use the D20_JPG ruleset you can do this. :)

gmkieran
October 29th, 2009, 18:28
Thanks, Osarusan! Nice to know it exists within FG somewhere - doesn't help with my 4E campaigns, but at least it's doable! Maybe it can be added to other rule sets eventually.

Tenian
October 29th, 2009, 19:33
His statement is not entirely correct.

Both the 4E_JPG and the D20_JPG rulesets have an "encounter" functionality (shown as 2 crossed swords on the right hand side). These allow you to store a title, npc names, tokens, numbers, as a single entity. You can click a single button and add them to the CT.

There is no automatic map placement, so you can't pre-build entire encounters and click one button to launch them. It does significantly cut down on the work however.

I'm not sure that the map/image objects are open enough to allow saving of token placement in advance. I suspect not given how little code access there was in prior versions to those objects.

gmkieran
October 30th, 2009, 18:15
Fair enough. I had noticed that, during campaign creation, it was possible to save maps with tokens placed (from the combat tracker) and have them still there when re-opening the campaign after shut-down. Of course, that didn't survive export to .mod and was only possible for one encounter at a time, because there is only one instance of the combat tracker (rather than one per encounter). I have a feeling the functionality I'm hoping for is a LOT more complex than would be worthwhile to code. c'est la guerre!

Archmage
November 5th, 2009, 02:00
This doesn't really apply to the FG app itself, but I've always thought that a good UI based character sheet builder would benefit the community more than anything else. Being able to easily construct a character sheet from scratch would greatly reduce the difficulty of supporting different games in FG.

I imagine the tool giving the user the ability to drag and drop different kinds of boxes onto the sheet, placing, resizing, and anchoring them with an easy to use graphic interface. Sheet elements would be labeled, and the user could enter basic math formulas using the value of any given sheet element as a variable, similar to the way the formula bar works in Excel. Then you export the sheet as one or more XML files and plug it into your ruleset.

As far as FG itself goes, I still think the mapping features are what needs updated most. There needs to be a way to numerically size and position the grid, so that I can draw maps at a given scale in photoshop or illustrator and not have to fight with the mouse to get the grid in proper position in FG. The drawing tools need to provide for adjustable line width, a straight line draw tool, and an erase cursor instead of just the lasso. I still do not understand how such minor updates that would make such a big impact on usability can go ignored for so long.

ddavison
November 5th, 2009, 05:29
It is not the most intuitive, but there is a straight line tool available when drawing or cutting out masks. You need to hold down the Shift key and it will draw it straight. To make a straight box, release and re-press the Shift key at each corner.

Moon Wizard
November 5th, 2009, 21:32
On that note, I'd like to request an update to the masking tool. I found that the current straight line tool is awkward, and I end up not using it at all. (since I mess it up more than get it right with all the modifier key presses.)

I thought that the way it worked in KloogeWerks was more intuitive. By default, you would automatically unmask/mask a rectangular region (between start and end points). If you held down the correct modifier key (CTRL, I think) before you started for mask action, then you would get free hand masking (ala default FG).

Cheers,
JPG

Moon Wizard
November 5th, 2009, 21:34
I'd also like to add a request for a better way to publish/track wishlist items and discussions. I've noticed that many requests are constantly being brought up over and over, because people have no idea that it has already been discussed before and has already been requested.

Cheers,
JPG

Archmage
November 8th, 2009, 01:43
It is not the most intuitive, but there is a straight line tool available when drawing or cutting out masks. You need to hold down the Shift key and it will draw it straight. To make a straight box, release and re-press the Shift key at each corner.
That is an improvement over what was available previously, but it's not exactly what I was talking about. What I'd like to see is an actual line drawing tool that allows one to draw a straight line with an arbitrary vector and magnitude. The code required to create such a tool already exists in FG. That thin white line that connects the start and end points of the line you draw with the masking tool is exactly what I'm looking for. It just needs to be applied to a separate tool and render a black line in place of the white one when the mouse button is released.

CampbellR66
November 20th, 2009, 17:06
Our gamming group has now reached 6 and to be honest we are plagued by cache errors and techie weird goings on whenever I add significant new content to the campaign. The problem is caused by the lack of bandwidth for uploading to the 6 clients on my DSL circuit.

Please consider
1) Allow pre generation of secure cache data.
2) Allow the client to log on out of game time to retrireve and merge the cache rready for game time.
2) Option - Providing a 'In the cloud' publishing point for publishing the cache data to as a single transfer and then let the clients grab it from the cloud.

joshuha
November 20th, 2009, 18:16
Our gamming group has now reached 6 and to be honest we are plagued by cache errors and techie weird goings on whenever I add significant new content to the campaign. The problem is caused by the lack of bandwidth for uploading to the 6 clients on my DSL circuit.

Please consider
1) Allow pre generation of secure cache data.
2) Allow the client to log on out of game time to retrireve and merge the cache rready for game time.
2) Option - Providing a 'In the cloud' publishing point for publishing the cache data to as a single transfer and then let the clients grab it from the cloud.

I have had success before by logging onto my GM session with another player session locally and then distributing the resulting cache file out to players.

ddavison
November 20th, 2009, 18:32
That is one of the reasons I initially started heading down the path of a more central server model with subscription plans. The idea would be that the Host uploads everything 1 time to a fast server that players then download from. There was enough backlash against the basic idea that it has basically been scrapped at the moment.

Griogre
November 21st, 2009, 03:07
I am inclinded to think it is a *more* problem. The more you can do, the more people want. Human nature, really. I believe that many GM's are not paying enough attention to just how much data they are trying to push out to the clients on home connections. If map file sizes (usually the biggest culprit) were kept to 200K or so most bandwith problems would just "go away." There is a reason most websites don't display images with file sizes in the megs - and they are on commercial connections with better up bandwith.

I think that many GM's are just hitting the wall on their up bandwidth. I honestly don't think a fast server would have made much difference in the long run - they still would have hit the wall - just later.

ddavison
November 21st, 2009, 03:51
I am inclinded to think it is a *more* problem. The more you can do, the more people want. Human nature, really. I believe that many GM's are not paying enough attention to just how much data they are trying to push out to the clients on home connections. If map file sizes (usually the biggest culprit) were kept to 200K or so most bandwith problems would just "go away." There is a reason most websites don't display images with file sizes in the megs - and they are on commercial connections with better up bandwith.

I think that many GM's are just hitting the wall on their up bandwidth. I honestly don't think a fast server would have made much difference in the long run - they still would have hit the wall - just later.

Good point. You are probably right. They would just use more and more large files until even the faster central server became slow. You could continue to scale things out with web farms and stuff but the best solution is probably to just keep file sizes small.

CampbellR66
November 23rd, 2009, 13:01
That is one of the reasons I initially started heading down the path of a more central server model with subscription plans. The idea would be that the Host uploads everything 1 time to a fast server that players then download from. There was enough backlash against the basic idea that it has basically been scrapped at the moment.

I did see the back lash and would find a subscription model difficult to implement for our gaming group.

however the problems/challenge remains ... how to reduce the disruption of valuble game time due to technical / file transfer issues, particularly for our less computer savy players.

Please continue to consider a clien option to log on to the DM server and request a cache refresh/merge with some indication of how much is missing/still to go.

This could be by module or just all in one go.

Is there anywhere I can read up on how caching works and what gets transfered when. It does not seem to be as simple as leaving the dm server running and getting people to log in prior to the game.

Brenn
January 9th, 2010, 06:44
I haven't gone through this whole thread, so these might already be there-

Visual Design Tools- both for rulesets and for creating modules. Particularly the former. Tweaking stuff in XML and then running FG, tweak, /reload, ad nauseum is a real drag. This is probably one of the biggest hurdles for the uninitiated wanting to do their own ruleset. Doing stuff in script will never change, but laying out and skinning a UI shouldn't be this tedious.

osarusan
January 16th, 2010, 10:55
I haven't gone through this whole thread, so these might already be there-

Visual Design Tools- both for rulesets and for creating modules. Particularly the former. Tweaking stuff in XML and then running FG, tweak, /reload, ad nauseum is a real drag. This is probably one of the biggest hurdles for the uninitiated wanting to do their own ruleset. Doing stuff in script will never change, but laying out and skinning a UI shouldn't be this tedious.

I agree! An easy way to edit rulesets and modules would add volumes of usefulness to the game.

Currently I feel like I don't use as much of the functionality of FG simply because it's too time consuming and tedious to enter all the data.

Even so, FG is amazing, and my players and I all love it, but we basically use only the character sheets, the dice roller, and the map sharing. Occasionally a battlemap. But as far as entering NPC's, custom items and story pieces, etc., it's not so user-friendly. Even adding pictures, while simple, is a little tedious. Drag and drop would be really useful.

chatty
March 8th, 2010, 01:08
Here's an easy-but-useful (to me) feature request:

Hot keys for your character are saved in their own .dat file in the cache folder.

Why is this useful? Because we may need to manually load the cache files in order to reduce map load times (and prevent map load problems I mentioned in another post). Doing so obliterates the hot key setup.

Also, some kind of crash debug file that we can analyze and/or send to you guys would be great.

CampbellR66
March 8th, 2010, 13:13
I agree! An easy way to edit rulesets and modules would add volumes of usefulness to the game.

Currently I feel like I don't use as much of the functionality of FG simply because it's too time consuming and tedious to enter all the data.

Even so, FG is amazing, and my players and I all love it, but we basically use only the character sheets, the dice roller, and the map sharing. Occasionally a battlemap. But as far as entering NPC's, custom items and story pieces, etc., it's not so user-friendly. Even adding pictures, while simple, is a little tedious. Drag and drop would be really useful.

We would also like to see tools for producing reference modules to cover campaign settings and house rules etc. The current method of manually editing XML is not great.

pming
March 10th, 2010, 03:17
Hiya.

I'm going to have to agree with some sort of GUI for creating your own rulesets and modules.
I'd also like to see a GUI-based dice macro creator that uses basic math as a means of 'writing' the macro. The dice type could be put in [ ], like "[d6]", as well as other 'rpg-specific' meanings, like "[high]" (meaning only use/keep the highest possible roll on the die type. So, one could write a macro that would roll 4d6, and re-roll any 6's, adding those to the total, but for every extra d6, a flat -1 is applied. Rolling 3, 4, 6, 6 would mean you get to reroll the two 6's; if you get 4 and 6, you get to reroll that 6 as well, and get a 1...but the extra rerolls each of -1 on them. So, in that example, your total would be 27 (3+4+6+6+3+5+0 = 27). As a macro, it would be written like so:

"/die #[d6][high], [-1][in]" ... the [in] would define 'individual' rolls. If you want cumulative, it could be [cm], if you want total end result, mayb [tot].

Currently, I'm trying to figure out a way to create die rules for using the Silhouette system (Jovian Chronicles, SilCORE RPG, Heavy Gear, Tribe 8, from DreamPod9). In it, you take your highest roll, but for every max die roll, you get to add 1 to your total success. So if you roll 4d6 and get 3,4,6,6, your total is 7. If you just got 3,4,4,5, you would have a result of 5, and if you got 3,4,6,5, you would have a result of 6.

I'm also all for the Hex grid as well as a dynamic Fog of War and Lighting (ala something like what Battlegrounds, or is it MapTool, does). The GM could just use polygon drawing to draw over all the 'dirt/ground' of the map where no light would be shown. As it stands, I'm thinking about using both programs; using FGII for the core chat, dice, etc, but using Battlegrounds (or maybe MapTool) for the actual mapping part. Hmmm...

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Oberoten
March 10th, 2010, 05:55
I have said this before, but will bump it again for rememberance.

A freehand ruler that can be set to a scale-length without having to use either hexes or square grids would make the program a lot more useable for things like Warhammer FB or 40k.

It'd also make more sense for movement ratios for games were not all humans move exactly the same distance.

- Obe

tdewitt274
March 10th, 2010, 15:15
I'd also like to see a GUI-based dice macro creator that uses basic math as a means of 'writing' the macro. The dice type could be put in [ ], like "[d6]", as well as other 'rpg-specific' meanings, like "[high]" (meaning only use/keep the highest possible roll on the die type. So, one could write a macro that would roll 4d6, and re-roll any 6's, adding those to the total, but for every extra d6, a flat -1 is applied. Rolling 3, 4, 6, 6 would mean you get to reroll the two 6's; if you get 4 and 6, you get to reroll that 6 as well, and get a 1...but the extra rerolls each of -1 on them. So, in that example, your total would be 27 (3+4+6+6+3+5+0 = 27). As a macro, it would be written like so:

Probably not the same thing, but another option to consider.

Can a "Dice Cup" be made? Probably can be programed using scripting.

Basically, you take a die and drop it into the "Cup" and it will store the dice. Then, you throw in other dice. Maybe even store the state that you put it in as well (ex, negative number). Toss in a couple of modifiers for good measure. Then, when all is done, right click and it will roll the dice.

adminwheel3
March 10th, 2010, 16:14
Well I went back a year in in the wish list and didn't see anything like this so I will post it.

I would like the ability to have multiple (or at least 2) chat channels. Or a filter you can define. Having conversations taking place between two sets of two players, plus whispers between the GM and player 5 can make the log very very hard to follow. Being able to /joinchannel player1andgm and having an new tab and chat log created should be very helpful.

If not that, being able to right click on the log and filter and unfilter things like whispers would at least unclutter things a bit.

Czarisyn
March 21st, 2010, 02:29
Module Loading Progress Bar...

Valarian
March 21st, 2010, 17:03
I would like the ability to have multiple (or at least 2) chat channels.
Ikael put this in to his version of the Unisystem ruleset. You might want to drop him a PM to see how he did it.

Leonal
June 8th, 2010, 03:29
I found one post asking about it last year, but I'd like to add another voice.
Not being able to minimize FG has always been bugging me, and instead having to drag it almost off the screen to hide while it's running it is rather cumbersome.
Is it possible to implement this?

Thanks.

Moon Wizard
June 9th, 2010, 02:27
For some reason, FG was built in such a way that it makes minimizing and restoring a very computationally intensive process. I actually got minimize and restore to work, but it created many seconds of lag to restore; whereas, the Windows built-in show desktop command must save the screen state for a faster restore. In the end, I decided to punt minimize until after the next release, until I could get a better idea of why it would restore so slowly when using minimize. It is definitely not forgotten, since one of my players reminds me about the lack of minimize every week.

Cheers,
JPG

Leonal
June 9th, 2010, 04:24
Thanks for the reply. :)

I figured it would be somewhat complicated or it'd already be fixed.^^

Callum
June 14th, 2010, 12:42
The ability to copy objects (personalities, images, items, tokens, etc.) from a module to the current campaign, so that they persist when the module is deactivated.

drahkar
June 14th, 2010, 15:33
The ability to copy objects (personalities, images, items, tokens, etc.) from a module to the current campaign, so that they persist when the module is deactivated.

I think this is more of a ruleset specific thing. Could someone correct me if I'm wrong?

Zeus
June 14th, 2010, 19:41

I think this is more of a ruleset specific thing. Could someone
correct me if I'm wrong?

Some rulesets for FGII support this already for personalities and items but not images and tokens as the latter two are enabled via the filesystem for the campaign. Some examples include the D20 (JPG) and 4E rulesets.

To copy Personalities and Items you usually just drag the shortcut link from the module entry to the relevant Campaign list window (i.e. Personalities or Items) and over a Campaign Group Category however as Drahkar has said the functionality is implemented as part of the ruleset code.

Function
June 21st, 2010, 01:56
Ok here is my wishlist additions. Sorry if they are already on here somewhere:

Option to let players remove effects from themselves. (sometimes things get miss dropped or don't wear off when intended)

Contextual effects ie:"if" (so an effect for deva racial like "DEF: 1 if bloodied" or sneak attack that would say "DMG: 2d6 if CA", these effects would check for the status before applying themselves)

A nonvuln damage type so that abilities that are "extra damage" or have no dice component can be dropped without getting any bonus dmg.

Zooming of their own maps by players.

Moveable dice box or perhaps a way to move it to the far right side of screen. (this is because FG2 doesn't seem to support mouse wheeling on a secondary monitor and most players interact with the dice box very rarely. Having the primary monitor for just map and character sheet would be amazing.)

Thanks,
/function

VenomousFiligree
July 2nd, 2010, 22:40
There is an unofficial Fantasy Grounds feature request page here (https://featurelist.org/projects/details/fantasygrounds).

For those that don't want to register (even though an email address isn't required), if you have a goggle wave account there is a (unofficial) Feature Request Wave here (https://wave.google.com/wave/waveref/googlewave.com/w+Nx7zhE1rA/~/conv+root/b+F5w1oV_xC).

SpudmanWP
July 7th, 2010, 17:31
How about a way to import/export hotkey settings and edit them offline (simple text format). This should work whether the Chr is a local or server Chr.

KidSnide
July 13th, 2010, 20:33
My apologies if these have already been discussed in an earlier post.

It would be nice if players could be given permission to drag damage and effects onto NPC tokens. It would also be helpful to allow friendly NPCs to be visible in the combat tracker (and - ideally - to allow the players to open a friendly screen, activate the powers and move the friendly NPC on the map).

It would also be helpful if GMs could toggle whether or not their die rolls were visible. I like rolling "behind the screen" by default, but there are also times when I want to roll in public.

-KS

Moon Wizard
July 13th, 2010, 20:52
KidSnide,

All of the items you mentioned are available in the 4E ruleset already.

The hidden GM rolls is available in all rulesets using the /die hide or /die reveal commands on the chat line.

Cheers,
JPG

Sigurd
July 13th, 2010, 21:44
I'd love a flag in the campaign setup that would make certain player skills invisible as well.

Simply a skill sheet with a check for 'auto hide' or some such.

For some of the skills like, detect traps, hide, slight of hand etc... I'd love to see the default be hidden and the exception be to roll in the box.

I imagine a global change would be easiest on a ruleset control screen.

Sigurd

SpudmanWP
August 21st, 2010, 19:16
I am sorry if it has already been requested, but what about the text interface (and hotkeys) understanding multiply and divide?

Like /die 3d6+1*1.25 or /die 3d6/2

If the second / will cause confusion, you can just use /die 3d6*.5 for the same result.

Also, how about recognizing the equals key?

Like /die 3d6+2= would automatically display the total instead of having to use the mouse.

elydustin
September 15th, 2010, 18:52
Im not 100% if it's been suggested yet... but what about adding function to the keypad? I don't know if it's just me but I use the keypad for all my numbers :P and it would be great to see it working in FG (unless i just dont know how to turn it on or something).

Oberoten
September 15th, 2010, 19:33
There is an extension that is called calculator that adds such functions.

- Obe

elydustin
September 15th, 2010, 19:40
great! where do i get the extension? i searched the wiki and found nothing :(

elydustin
September 15th, 2010, 19:46
aha i found it on the wiki, i just needed to look twice :) thanks again

Ikael
September 15th, 2010, 19:47
If I remember right the calculator extension itself doesn't add those advanced calculation expression (*,/,^ etc) to the /die command, however it gives you new slashcommand /calc which does the magic for you.

Edit: the link in FG wiki seems to be gone but I found the one posted in the FG forum: link (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=671&d=1236598036)

elydustin
September 15th, 2010, 20:05
well i have the extension and the extension utility... I open the utility, click the calculator.ext and press extract files. There is a screen flicker and it unselects the ext. Did it work? because it's not producing the results I was hoping for in FG when i launch and try using the keypad to input numbers into a field on a character sheet.

Phystus
September 16th, 2010, 02:25
Version 2.6.5 of FG doesn't recognize the keypad. I think the beta version does.

~P

elydustin
September 16th, 2010, 05:49
yeah I kind of gave up on the keypad, ill just have to look at what numbers I type :P

Doswelk
September 16th, 2010, 11:36
Version 2.6.5 of FG doesn't recognize the keypad. I think the beta version does.

~P

Yeah 2.7.x will have keypad support, the current version the keypad is used as some sort of window shortcut aid that I never got to work. :o

elydustin
September 16th, 2010, 16:43
lol thought of another suggestion, a minimize button for the screen itself. I do a lot of switching between a web browser, my itunes, and the program and it never minimizes, it just floats in the background. However, I think fullscreen mode should hide the taskbar like it currently does, that makes for a nice smooth look.

Doswelk
September 16th, 2010, 19:53
:D another already in 2.7.x feature!

elydustin
September 16th, 2010, 22:37
lol, awesome... its like you're reading my mind :ninja: :ninja:

Antonio Martorell Ferriol
October 4th, 2010, 18:46
Will be possible to add the chance to print things (like the story a PNJ or items)... I'm really using it now as a wat to get all the data for my campaing (not remote) and sometimes ir would be ussefull to print some text that I've made to give to the players (I understand that the main focus is the over the network play, but with a few touches here and there would be also a marvelous way of keeping your data for your campaigns)

Stitched
November 20th, 2010, 11:54
Still want this above all else:

An authoring package for rule ets (think something like Dreamweaver). Right now, creating new rulesets feels like "hacking" or re-inventing the wheel.

I will gladly change this to better documentation or tutorials for ruleset creation problems like:

How to create custom dice throws?
(list of all the files that need to be edited - lines of code showing what does what - etc.)
How to create a list and allow items to be dragged to other windows
(list of all the files that need to be edited - lines of code showing what does what - etc.)

Right now, these answers, of course are a Search away in the forums but it would be better to have a common repository, not only of the solutions but also people's extensions that tackle this stuff.

Guess what I am really asking for is a grand unification theory for ruleset creation.

Totoyami
December 13th, 2010, 19:41
Things that i'd like to see in FG and which hadn't mentioned in wishlist above, are:
1) possibility to minimize charsheets and combat tracker
2) a special field where you can comment power's ability, because especially in minisheet it is not clear what is what, e.g. the power has different dices for hit and miss. now it is unclear which one is for hit and which is for miss.
3) possibility to add weapon on combat tab weapons/Implements section by drag'n'dropping
4) possibility to add items to NPC's inventory by drag'n'dropping them from module or Items collection. If they would have a link it will be perfect.
5) optional combat tracker's mode when players can see HP of NPC mobs
5} I don't know if it is a bug or not, but if you add NPC's power which contains non-latin letters, FG cannot find it. So you can have localised NPCs items, descriptions, but not the name of powers.

JFK
January 22nd, 2011, 01:28
I'd love to see the ability to draw oval and circular areas for masking and unmasking map areas. This would facilitate especially unmasking lit areas, curved sections of wall, etc.

Thanks!

JFK

Bidmaron
January 25th, 2011, 16:31
We need the ability to get the game alias from within fg2. I can't count the times I've forgotten to write it down and had to scram fg2 in the middle of file transfers so someone could log on. I guess if I didn't change the alias so often I wouldn't have the problem.

Oberoten
January 25th, 2011, 17:02
Check the registry. That is where it saves. Just don't change anything.

- Obe

Bidmaron
January 25th, 2011, 18:17
Thanks, Obe.

Griogre
January 27th, 2011, 04:06
If I'm in the middle of a game and want to know the alias I just start a second instance and click the load campaign button. That screen will tell you the alias and then you can just close that instance.

Bidmaron
January 27th, 2011, 12:10
Sometimes the simple things just escape a fellow.... Thanks, Griogre.

Bidmaron
January 29th, 2011, 15:58
Moon, please add a module call that will allow you to programmatically put something into the clipboard (SpudMan's request)

kiro
February 4th, 2011, 00:05
I only skimmed the entire thread (short on time ATM) so I apologize for repeating if I have. I would like to throw my super minor suggestion into the hat. It would be nice if "Campaign Saved" was not saved to the chat log.

I love this program!

Thanks!

t2k
February 12th, 2011, 17:59
An easy to use "quick pointer" would be a great enhancement. We used to used MapTool, but switched to FG2. We like FG2 much more, but I really miss being able to just hold the space bar down to bring up an arrow to quickly reference a point on the map to the GM and players. I think it takes too much to add an arrow/pointer to the map for this purpose.

demonsbane
February 12th, 2011, 22:54
An easy to use "quick pointer" would be a great enhancement. (. . .)

Yes, that feature is very useful. I would like to see it implemented into FG2.

Griogre
February 13th, 2011, 03:20
You know you can draw a quick pointer on an image by holding down both left and right mouse buttons and dragging? That is pretty quick.

You can draw other than line pointers by holding down Shift or Ctrl as you drag.

Infocalypse
February 13th, 2011, 05:39
More wishes for FG3 ;D

- An option to import graphics from within FG2.
- An option to copy and paste full entries.
- A better manual.
- An option to integrate PDFs.
- An option to export characters to PDFs or txt-files.
- Being able to work on campaigns without the need to log on to the server.
- An option to create a token from a portrait from within FG2.

Moon Wizard
February 14th, 2011, 20:05
Can you provide some more info on your requests?

* For graphics import, you can currently drop files in the images subfolder of the campaign to add maps on the fly. Is there a particular add method or image type you are referring to?

* For copying "full" entries, I'm not sure what you are referring to as a "full" entry. Can you clarify for me? You can currently cut, copy and paste text from both string fields and formatted text fields.

* Until last year, we didn't even have a manual for 4E. ;) But, I agree that the manuals could always be better. Are there particular aspects of the online manuals that you are referencing, or a particular ruleset?

* How would you like to integrate PDFs into your game? You can currently cut and paste from/to PDFs, but text only. Usually, I just open the PDF next to the tabletop, and grab the information I need to paste into FG.

* We definitely want to do character export. Most likely this would be an XML export, since making PDF exports would require a style sheet or similar conversion to define layouts. (which people would also want to customize.)

* On campaign work, you should be able to work on campaigns as long as you are running the host version. Are you referring to clients creating characters offline?

* You can currently create a token from a portrait by dragging from the upper left character list to a map.

Regards,
JPG

CampbellR66
February 25th, 2011, 13:11
Wish List

Better tools for creating reference modules and rulebooks.

Create House Rules
Spell books etc

Easier to use module export

Module cover browse
Auto include tokens
Tabs stay in sequence
side tab of open modules
Character Export/Import
Content Import/Export between modules (Ie keeps formating)
Easy to use offline module editor with improved story file format options
like proper tables and being able to paste from PDF and word without having to go and delete the carriage returns

Infocalypse
February 27th, 2011, 17:02
Can you provide some more info on your requests?

* For graphics import, you can currently drop files in the images subfolder of the campaign to add maps on the fly. Is there a particular add method or image type you are referring to?

I would like to click on the images folder from within FG2, choose "Import File" then get a browse popup, choose it on my hard drive, see it automatically imported into the correct folder and be able to name it. It would be much more professional this way.

* For copying "full" entries, I'm not sure what you are referring to as a "full" entry. Can you clarify for me? You can currently cut, copy and paste text from both string fields and formatted text fields.

E.g., if you have a certain item, why is it not possible to click the items name in the list and get a "Copy item" option, which creates a second entry with a (2) or whatever behind it, to show it is a copy. Sometimes I only need to change small things, and it would be pretty useful, if it were possible, to start from a pregenerated item/entry template rather than making it all anew with each entry.

* Until last year, we didn't even have a manual for 4E. ;) But, I agree that the manuals could always be better. Are there particular aspects of the online manuals that you are referencing, or a particular ruleset?

It would be especially useful, if the manuals would actually name and explain all "/" functions that exist within the game.

* How would you like to integrate PDFs into your game? You can currently cut and paste from/to PDFs, but text only. Usually, I just open the PDF next to the tabletop, and grab the information I need to paste into FG.

I would like to integrate PDFs just like pictures. I.e. I wold like to be able to put PDFs in a list and share it with the players. It is easy to see, that this is a bigger wish than others, as this would requre FG2 to gain PDF reader capabilities. But it would be way cool.

* We definitely want to do character export. Most likely this would be an XML export, since making PDF exports would require a style sheet or similar conversion to define layouts. (which people would also want to customize.)

XML would be a great step into the right direction.

* On campaign work, you should be able to work on campaigns as long as you are running the host version. Are you referring to clients creating characters offline?

Can I? It appears to me, that if I cannot connect to the server from the load campaign window, it does not open at all. Once I have loaded a campaign, I do not need to be online, only to load it. Still this can be frustrating at times (enroute on a train or a plane).

* You can currently create a token from a portrait by dragging from the upper left character list to a map.

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL! ;D

Regards,
Infocalypse

Moon Wizard
February 27th, 2011, 22:50
Infocalypse,

Thanks for the clarification. I've added some stuff to the short-term and logn-term wish lists I keep internally.

One more question:
* Which version of FG are you running when you try to load the campaign? (Full/Ultimate?, version number?)

Thanks,
JPG

Infocalypse
February 27th, 2011, 22:54
I am currently running Fantasy Grounds II Full Licence v 2.7.4.
Thanks for the good work!

demonsbane
March 1st, 2011, 19:43

But, since the character portraits are, by default at least, very small in size (try them in high screen resolutions like HD or Full HD), the token that you get from that drag and drop in the map is extremely minuscule... I'd want bigger portraits, and to be able to drag from them better recognizable tokens.

Moon Wizard
March 1st, 2011, 20:19
True. From my recent investigation, it appears that the portrait token size is set by the ruleset. Currently, the default for all rulesets appears to be 30x30 (26x26 inset in a 30x30 background).

In the 3.5E rewrite I am working on, I already bumped to 50x50, which I think is that token sizes that most people use.

Regards,
JPG

Infocalypse
March 1st, 2011, 20:59
Speaking of tokens and such: Wouldn't it be cool, if the grid field the token is placed in gets a frame of the token's friend/foe status from the combat list? This way, it would at least be easy to differenciate between friendly, neutral, and hostile tokens with but one glance. It might look ugly, but it's well worth a try, don't you think?

Moon Wizard
March 2nd, 2011, 01:58
When a token is linked to the combat tracker, the token already gets a colored underlay indicating the faction of the combatant. (red = hostile, yellow = neutral, green = friendly)

This sounds like what you are asking for. Is there something else you were thinking?

Regards,
JPG

primarch
March 2nd, 2011, 02:10
Hi!

One thing I have always wondered if it was possible is:

Could it be possible for the combat tracker two "save" more than one encounter with linked tokens?

Let me explain. Currently, you load from a prepared encounter the monsters for that battle, then drag their images to the map so they can be linked. There is no way to prepare before the game and have all maps with the monsters ready in the combat tracker WITH lined tokens to the map.

As it is now, the biggest delay between encounters is always loading the monsters to the combat tracker and then porting the tokens to the map.

I realize you could "stack" all the monsters into the combat tracker and just leave hidden the ones not involved in the current encounter, but this presents a lot of problems of scrolling down and not mistakenly things. Its an unwieldy solution.

I hope I explained my request well. :)

Primarch

Moon Wizard
March 2nd, 2011, 06:37
Yes, there is definitely something on the wish list for this.

One option I've been thinking about would be to allow the GM to set the image and drop location in the "encounter" window. Then, when the encounter is loaded into the combat tracker, the tokens are also added to the map.

Cheers,
JPG

kurtyboh
March 2nd, 2011, 08:44
It would be awesome if my players could zoom/scroll the maps on their end.

demonsbane
March 2nd, 2011, 16:30
It would be awesome if my players could zoom/scroll the maps on their end.

But to my mind, while zooming doesn't present any problem, having the players freely scrolling the map can be a bit troublesome: such scrolling should be restricted to map areas that, in some way, the GM has marked as allowed, like the map areas already shown and discovered by the players; that is to say, scrolling to yet unknown areas of a map shouldn't be allowed.

And this scrolling capability should be optional, too, since many characters entering in, so to speak, a dungeon, can be only aware of their immediate surroundings, unless they have take the precaution of making a map (if not, they must rely in their own "mental maps")...

Freely scrolling can be a bit metagaming and spoil "the fun" of being lost in an underground cave complex, since by scrolling the map players can figure too well where are them situated and how to return to the entrance. Some RPG rule systems even feature traits like Orientation, Absolute Direction and such, precisely for handling PC that are unusually good in not getting lost, traits that aren't going to be diminished in their usefulness if we allow a completely unconstrained scrolling capability for the players.

So, the GM should be able to restrict this scrolling ability of his players in some ways. This can seem a bit tricky, but it may be worthwhile.

Just a few thoughts around the subject.

Regards

demonsbane
March 13th, 2011, 17:02
Wish: a reasonable way for making our own Library modules, maybe through a secondary FG2 utility.

ATM I'm working with tables in XML and believe me, it's really painful and extremely discouraging.

My partial successes here are due to the help provided by other members in the FG2 chat (thank you!), but even so there are issues that seem almost unsolvable.

The learning curve just for making Library modules is too high, rendering the whole Library feature almost completely useless for many people not running extremely well-supported rulesets like DnD: I'm speaking of empty or almost empty FG2 Library windows for gamemasters and players.

Here is an unreasonable, too high learning curve just for displaying within the FG2 window exactly the same kind of formatted text that we are continually producing -very easily- with apps like Wordpad, Word, OpenOffice, etc, that is to say, simple text entries and tables.

Achieving that within FG2 -specially long and well finished tables- by working with the XML files is . . . a feat for saying the least.

I feel that, without being able to actually use the Library feature, Fantasy Grounds 2 is meaningfully crippled for me.

Moon Wizard
March 14th, 2011, 02:11
Fair enough.

Any utility would have to be specific to a ruleset, since the Library database and window implementation can actually be customized. Luckily, most people just use the default text classes inherited from the original d20 ruleset. So, a text-only library building utility would probably be reasonable to build for any ruleset.

I'll add it to the wish list.

Since it is independent of FG, it could be a community project as well, if someone wanted to take it own. It's actually similar to what the 4E parser does already.

Cheers,
JPG

demonsbane
March 14th, 2011, 05:08
moon_wizard,

Thank you very much for your kind and comprehensive answer. You understood very well what I meant.

demonsbane
March 15th, 2011, 03:31
(. . .) Luckily, most people just use the default text classes inherited from the original d20 ruleset. So, a text-only library building utility would probably be reasonable to build for any ruleset.

A mate told me that my earlier post wasn't clear enough, so I'm writing this just in case:

What I was meaning is an utility for creating or importing not just text entries, but formatted tables too, for displaying them in the Library window of Fantasy Grounds 2. Also, an easy way for including images within the Library entries would be nice.

kurtyboh
March 16th, 2011, 15:13
@demonsbane, the only reason a map scrolling/zooming feature would be helpful in my mind is because of screen size restraints. I am using 2 22" monitors while my players are mostly using laptops. While i have considerable more info needed to be displayed, I have more than 2x's the real estate they are using. As such it becomes troublesome to attempt to find a good map size for everyone; where as if it became an option for the player to size and zoom each could set their own. Also because of the zoom being different on my end rather than theirs it would not work for them not to be able to scroll to the area in which the action is taking place. It would be nice if there was some sort of lock to keep them from scrolling on unopened sections of the map (i.e. to see how big the map is) but my biggest concern is with screen size.

demonsbane
March 17th, 2011, 02:49
kurtyboh,

You are right and I'm more and more aware of the problem of running FG2 with people using enough different screen sizes and resolutions.

However, I was only suggesting the use of the windows zoom feature as a temporary and substandard "solution".

phantomwhale
March 26th, 2011, 01:26
Amendment to limit module visibility to an extension as well as a ruleset. We could do with another tag (e.g. <extension>) in the module definition.xml that would define a specific extension the module relates to.

When defined in the definition.xml, the module should be visible when an extension is activated if it is listed in an extension tag. This would allow you to define a module to be activated for more than one extension. If no extensions are listed (no extension tags), then the module should be visible for the whole ruleset.

Just wanted to "necro" this request and +1 it - with the release of the Deadlands: Reloaded extension, there will be extensions to the DB allowing for DL:R specific stuff. Equally I'm sure no-one wants to access the DL:R library modules when not playing with the extension that they came with !

Equally any adventure modules released for DL:R would not be fully functional without the extension, and therefore could do with a restriction.

As a GM who plays several Savage Settings, my module list get's pretty cluttered...

StuartW
March 26th, 2011, 07:25
You can achieve the same impact by creating 'virtual' ruleset names.

Say your base ruleset was called SWorlds, you just add an importinfo/acceptfrom tag to your extension for the 'virtual' ruleset SWorldsDLR (which isn't the name of any real ruleset).

Thereafter, any module which has a ruleset tag of SWorldsDLR will show up only when the extension is loaded, not when the base ruleset is loaded without the extension.

This is how the Eldritch Horror extension allows Call of Cthulhu modules to be visible when the BRP ruleset is in use.

Stuart

demonsbane
April 4th, 2011, 04:39
Fair enough.

Any utility would have to be specific to a ruleset, since the Library database and window implementation can actually be customized. Luckily, most people just use the default text classes inherited from the original d20 ruleset. So, a text-only library building utility would probably be reasonable to build for any ruleset.

I'll add it to the wish list.

Since it is independent of FG, it could be a community project as well, if someone wanted to take it own. It's actually similar to what the 4E parser does already.

Cheers,
JPG

Library Module Maker (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14447) . . .

bigbsonnier
April 18th, 2011, 21:54
But to my mind, while zooming doesn't present any problem, having the players freely scrolling the map can be a bit troublesome: such scrolling should be restricted to map areas that, in some way, the GM has marked as allowed, like the map areas already shown and discovered by the players; that is to say, scrolling to yet unknown areas of a map shouldn't be allowed.

And this scrolling capability should be optional, too, since many characters entering in, so to speak, a dungeon, can be only aware of their immediate surroundings, unless they have take the precaution of making a map (if not, they must rely in their own "mental maps")...

Freely scrolling can be a bit metagaming and spoil "the fun" of being lost in an underground cave complex, since by scrolling the map players can figure too well where are them situated and how to return to the entrance. Some RPG rule systems even feature traits like Orientation, Absolute Direction and such, precisely for handling PC that are unusually good in not getting lost, traits that aren't going to be diminished in their usefulness if we allow a completely unconstrained scrolling capability for the players.

So, the GM should be able to restrict this scrolling ability of his players in some ways. This can seem a bit tricky, but it may be worthwhile.

Just a few thoughts around the subject.

Regards

A solution to this would let the dm side have a sizeable square which represents the players "view" It could be red instead fo black or white to stand out on the grid, and a little thicker. The DM could zoom in and out like he wished as well as the players (all independently) but the players could only "see" the square highlited by the DM. I think the coding (and i know zero about coding) would probably look similar to the little magnifying glass you see at some retail websites when you want a "closer" look, i don't know just brainstorming.

just though the square could be set to x number of squares from pc tokens as an option thereby negating the need for the dm to micro manage the square, or even better just have the square tool have the ability to attach multiple different squares to either the grid or the players like an aura of sorts but a visibility aura kind of.

bigbsonnier
April 18th, 2011, 22:01
hmm reviewing my post i noticed i used the word "just" rather often. my limited experience with programming has told me there is no "just" do this or "just" do that in the programming world. even the slightest change could have resounding impacts on the enirety of code. but still the suggestion would be a cool one i think

bigbsonnier
April 18th, 2011, 22:16
is there a master list of "/xxx" commands, as well as keyboard shortcuts, would probably like to print that out for reference when playing.

Moon Wizard
April 18th, 2011, 23:19
There is a /help command. However, it has not been kept up to date, and does not reflect ruleset additions. With v2.8, I will be pushing the slash command implementation almost completely into the ruleset (with backward compatibility of course).

Here is the current list of built-in commands for FG v2.7:
/vote <msg>
/ooc <msg>
/action <msg>
/story <msg> (GM only)
/emote <msg>
/mood <single word mood> <optional msg>
/mood (<multi-word mood>) <optional msg>
/clear
/night
/day
/save
/console
/reset
/reload

In v2.8, I will be trimming to reload, save, console, reset; and letting the ruleset implement the rest.

In the 4E ruleset, there are also these additional slash commands:
/whisper <target> <msg>
/w <target> <msg>
/wg <msg>
/die hide
/die reveal
/die <dice string> <description>
/mod <number> <description>
/identity <name>
/gmid <name>
/export
/flushdb

I realized a little while ago that these did not get documented in the online manuals, so I plan to add this information to the online manuals when I finish up all the details for v2.8.

Here is a summary of what the commands do:

vote = Create vote box in chat window, one check per client
ooc/action/story/emote = Chat modes, affects chat color and chat frames used
mood = Specifies the mood to use when chatting. If message also specified, then mood only used for that message.
clear = Clear chat window
night/day = Set lighting mood for session
save = Forces save of databse to disk
console = Opens FG logging console for errors or application status
reset = Forces DirectX to re-initialize
reload = Allows GM to reload ruleset and database. (GM only, only when no clients connected) (Very useful for ruleset and extension development and testing)

whisper/w = Whisper message to target (can use tab to auto complete target names)
wg = Whisper message to GM only
die = Hide/Reveal will show or hide all GM dice rolls. Otherwise, the command will roll the dice plus modifiers specified in the dice string and label the resulting roll with the description.
mod = Adds the number as a modifier to the modifier stack (lower left) using the description.
identity = Adds an speaking identity (GM only)
gmid = Changes the default speaking identity (GM only)
export = Opens the export window for creating modules from campaign data (GM only)
flushdb = Clears client access to all un-owned database items (GM only)

Regards,
JPG

bigbsonnier
April 18th, 2011, 23:39
awesome thanks

bigbsonnier
April 27th, 2011, 04:30
I can't recall if this was covered but as a wish list i would like to see a slightly more robust drawing tool. Not too much but maybe a few different brush sizes and colors. for those maps on the fly when the adventurers throw a curve ball

***EDIT***

As i see i epically failed my perception check and this request was the second item on the list bullet on the first page, i rescened my request as it was already taken care of.

Moon Wizard
May 1st, 2011, 01:08
Please feel free to post thoughts as you come up with them. I have a rather large master list that I compare all new requests against to make sure that I at least am aware of what everyone has asked for.

Now, if I could only clone myself...

JPG

VenomousFiligree
May 1st, 2011, 15:37
Hi JPG, any chance you could set up some form of tracker that we could input onto, so we could all so what the most popular requests are?

Moon Wizard
May 2nd, 2011, 01:56
I've thought about setting up a public tracker, but I think it would be more of a distraction than helpful. Also, people would start asking for dates and other status information on particular requests.

In the end, I feel that my time is better spent on improving FG. I already have to set aside time to make manuals, update developer documentation and more; in addition to upgrading the client and the built-in rulesets.

I do keep a separate list, but I only need to refine and prune it once per release. So, it's a lot less maintenance than managing a public tracker, and responding to questions about information in a public tracker.

I think there have been other attempts by the community to set up a public tracker in the past, and they end up getting abandoned due to time to maintain.

Regards,
JPG

VenomousFiligree
May 2nd, 2011, 09:51
I think there have been other attempts by the community to set up a public tracker in the past, and they end up getting abandoned due to time to maintain.
In my case, abandoned because it wasn't really embraced by the community, an FG endorsed one however...

phantomwhale
May 2nd, 2011, 13:39
Well, I'm sure MurghBpurn's request isn't randomly made, but it's as good an opportunity as any to note I'm trying a feature tracker for Savage Worlds : https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14590

Will see how well the voting works there, and if it offers anything about the forums. For me, the pain is maintaining a useful list to work off manually, so I'm hoping the public tracker will actually do some of that work for me.

Although garbage in = garbage out, so it will depend on the quality of user's input !

Moon Wizard
May 2nd, 2011, 19:10
The challenge is that I get to track the FG client as well as 2 rulesets, so it's more overhead for me. I'm very interested to see how your tracker works for you after a few weeks.

Regards,
JPG

Belsay
May 2nd, 2011, 22:35
JPG, Thanks for all your work. I have two requests, the first seems to be simple and the second may just be a dream. Anyway --

1) It would be nice if 4E Powers DID NOT store a link back to the Library Module they were dropped from. I like to click the small gray square to get a nice, easy to read description of the power. However, so many users have their own parsed Libraries, that as a DM, I generally get a notification that "such-and-such" library module is not loaded. Currently, I go through the db.xml and remove all of the links to Library Modules for Powers, so that they will display like the Second Wind Power does.

2) Also, along with that, it would be nice if Feats (and maybe Rituals) could store more data in the db.xml when dropped from someones parsed Library. Then there could be a default display window (similar to the Powers one) that could display the Feat, again, without the original Library Module loaded.

Thanks again!

demonsbane
May 6th, 2011, 10:43
Share Sheet / Update Sheet behavior:

While it's possible to share a sheet (an image, map, etc) with a particular player, in the moment you -the GM- make a change and click "Update Sheet", the sheet is transferred to all the players, the whole party!

So I'd like to ask a way for being able to Update the shared sheets without automatically sharing them with the other members: the current Fantasy Grounds 2 behavior in this point spoils the point of sharing a game asset with a specific player -or a specific set of players, like when the party is split and they can't see the same map, for instance- to begin with.

Leonal
May 6th, 2011, 10:54

While it's possible to share a sheet (an image, map, etc) with a particular player, in the moment you -the GM- make a change and click "Update Sheet", the sheet is transferred to all the players, the whole party!

So I'd like to ask a way for being able to Update the shared sheets without automatically sharing them with the other members: the current Fantasy Grounds 2 behavior in this point spoils the point of sharing a game asset with a specific player -or a specific set of players, like when the party is split and they can't see the same map, for instance- to begin with.

Seconded! :)

Oberoten
May 6th, 2011, 11:44

Thirding this here notion. ((Way too verbose of me but it keeps saying just "Thirded" is too short to post ))

VenomousFiligree
May 6th, 2011, 11:44
Thirded, came across this the other night and had to keep dragging the updated image to the PCs portrait rather than clicking update sheet

edit:

OK forthed as Obe beat me to it :D