PDA

View Full Version : Host Tokens Showing up in Shared Box

DMJBone
July 7th, 2008, 07:32
So I've created a bunch of custom tokens as .jpgs and put them in my Host Folder. I upload a .jpg map-put my monster tokens on it-enable the mask filter and share with the players. Boom-the monster tokens on the map show up in the players token box-and they see what they're up against.

How do I stop this from happening?

(Note: These are tokens assigned from host box to personalities if that makes a difference)

Thanks in advance.

richvalle
July 7th, 2008, 14:20
Yeah, I heard this is happening in my game as well.

rv

Xorn
July 7th, 2008, 15:31
Once you place a mini on the map that has been shared with the players, the game has to place it in their token box. My players just don't open up the token box, and you can ask yours not to--but the other option is don't place a token till you want them to see it.

Griogre
July 7th, 2008, 19:08
This is a known bug in FG. Either don't place your monsters ahead of time, use generic tokens so they don't know what the monster is, or overplace monsters so they have no idea which ones you are actually using.

The simpliest solution is to be like Xorn and tell the players not to open their token boxes.

richvalle
July 7th, 2008, 20:39
The thing is, we've created tokens for the players to use. I created tokens with numberes on them to indicate player flying hight. And another player created tokens for all the buff spells they usually cast. I've created an 'image' just for the players. They drop in their icons and the drag tokens under each picture to indicate what buffs they have up at that time.

They also use the top of the page to keep track of their init order by ordering another set of their token images from left to right.

rv

Xorn
July 7th, 2008, 20:46
Those are all great ideas, and I'm with you on it. In that case, don't place your tokens early. :)

Griogre
July 7th, 2008, 20:58
If you keep all these tokens already on the special image, they don't have to open the token box, now do they? ;) They can just move the status tokens off to the side when they don't need them or they expire. I'm surprised they don't do that already, actually.

And a little less tongue in cheekly (is that a phrase?), they can hot key tokens they use a lot and still not have to open the token box.

Dachannien
July 7th, 2008, 22:57
Overplacing tokens (that is, putting tokens for monsters you aren't really using) into a separate image works well. Just remember to open the image so that the tokens end up shared.

This is a fairly old bug (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6352), though, so I'm pretty sure it's on their list.

Ged
July 7th, 2008, 23:13
Yes, it's recorded.

Foen
July 7th, 2008, 23:36
I've found it cropped up in a different context recently. To illustrate NPCs/Monsters in a module, I have used a tokenfield on the NPC sheet. Using an imagefield doesn't work and exposes all the built-in map functionality which is confusing for a plain image.

When the NPC sheet with the picture is shared, the image ends up in the players' token boxes.

Clearly it would be nice to sort the 'bug' (although I'd bet this is merely a consequence of the way token sharing/transmission is implemented, not truly a bug), but another answer would be to have a new type of image control which paints just the picture on a windowclass. Genericcontrols would seem to do the trick, but their images are bound to ruleset-level frames, not to module-level images.

Stuart

Edit: typos

DMJBone
July 8th, 2008, 06:18
You know at the least, I'd settle for a 'DM' bag they go into-at least I could ask the players to keep out of that-For now I guess I'll use pins...hope this gets fixed though...soon.

Thanks all.