PDA

View Full Version : Start window too small

Vroomfogle
July 7th, 2008, 02:06
One of my players can't join my campaign because the FG startup window is too small so that the bottom half of the contents are cut off. i.e. he can't see the update or the start buttons. He is running Vista. Any ideas?

Vroomfogle
July 7th, 2008, 04:15
Ok he just fixed the problem. In case anyone else encounters this problem go under Properties for the FG program and under the Compatibility tab there's an option to "disable display scaling on high dpi settings".

It looks like windows vista default behavior on high resolution displays is to expand window contents (so that the text isn't so small to be unreadable)...but the FG startup window is a fixed size.

Chaos_Crafter
May 22nd, 2010, 14:52
I seem to be having exactly the same problem.
When I click "Host Game as a Gamemaster" (this is for the demo version)
I see the top part (half?) of the Load Campaign and Create New Campaign panels, and a tiny bit of the Your Location panel (I can see "Your loc" and "192.16" of the panel, along with "This al" and "informa" but the rest is cut off)

I get a similar result (of course) on the player and character screens

I've tried the suggested fix and it has not helped at all.
I'm running a fully licensed copy of Windows 7, 64 bit on a laptop with a 1920x1200 screen.

I've attempted to attach an image of what I'm getting...

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1347&stc=1&d=1274536213

Moon Wizard
May 22nd, 2010, 19:25
That's strange. I just downloaded the demo onto another Windows 7 computer running at 1920x1200, and it displayed correctly.

Have you tried resetting your font size setting to 100% to see if is will display correctly?

It looks like the demo needs to get updated with the next release pass, since it is running v2.1.0.

Cheers,
JPG

Chaos_Crafter
May 23rd, 2010, 09:09
I turned out that when I set my font to 125% it displayed correctly.
I'd really like to see that fixed as I don't want to have to change all my settings every time I want to use the app.
It looks fairly clear that the issue is a scaling of the text box that is occuring in absence of a scaling of the text (etc) inside it.
Once the app starts it is all fine (though the demo doesn't give much scope for seeing what it's like creating a campaign from scratch :) )
So it's be great if someone could do some checking of that scaling in a future release - and I think I might wait till then to start trying to make this my main gaming engine.

Moon Wizard
May 23rd, 2010, 20:59
Actually, the demo actually uses a different implementation of the launcher, than the release version. The release version uses DirectX, which avoids the issue of Windows font sizes. If you want to see the most recent version of the launcher, you can install an Unregistered version using the standard installer.

BTW, I have seen quite a few problems with the font scaling in Windows. For example, if font greater than 125%, then the Photoshop cursor shows 3 icons, and you don't know which one is the real one to draw with. I ended up just going back to 125% font size myself.

Regards,
JPG