PDA

View Full Version : Area Markers?

Tenian
July 7th, 2008, 01:28
What are people using to mark area of effects in their games? (Particularly DnD 4E). I did some experimenting and created some transparent tokens to work with the DnD mini's side view tokens. You can see them here:
https://dnd-4e.blogspot.com/2008/07/area-markers.html
I'm just wondering if anyone has come up with something better?

Griogre
July 7th, 2008, 04:48
The problem with large transparent overlays is they can be a pain because tokens when multiple tokens are overlapping tokens are picked up in a "first dropped, first picked up" order so when the first person that goes to pick up their token after you drop the transparency they will get their token - but the next will get the transparency (and probably drop it) and people will end up shuffling cycling through their tokens and the transparent one.

Personally I use the built in FG area of effect square or draw it out out with the pen. The area of effect logic does need to be modded for 4e, though. Someone did a nice routine for making 1-1-1 diagonals in FG on another board. As a work around you can use the circle AOE toll to draw 3x3 squares. If you start it in the middle of a square and drag it to out 1.5 squares and over a half square the circle AoE toll draws a perfect 3x3. :p

Xorn
July 7th, 2008, 14:10
I actually have the wizard in my group draw a line diagonally from one corner to the other of the square he's filling.