PDA

View Full Version : Modifying tokens on map?

Moon Wizard
July 6th, 2008, 07:14
I'm trying to figure out how to modify tokens on a map.

I want to add a widget connected to the token to denote various conditions (wound status, blinded, confused, unconscious, ...). Or at least the ability to rotate the token to indicate unconscious.

I haven't seen a way to access the tokens directly from the tokenreferencefield in the combat tracker. The addunderlay feature is the closest thing, but already used to denote reach and FoF status.

Thanks,
JPG

Foen
July 6th, 2008, 12:28
I think this functionality isn't exposed, some of the documented features don't work either for token objects on maps (see this post (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8142)).

Stuart

DNH
July 6th, 2008, 13:15
This would be up there with the greatest and most useful additions to the FG2 software though, if it could be achieved. It's something I have been hoping to see for a long long time.

FWIW, I have been achieving the same effect by altering the name of the token on the Combat Tracker. So a Kobold Slinger might become a Kobold Slinger (Bloodied) or a DEAD Kobold Slinger. This updates immediately and is useful for everyone, DM and players alike. I am wondering if manipulating the CT token entry, as opposed to the token on the map, might be possible in some way. Or is it all the same?

In any case, good luck with this. I will be watching for developments, and will be disappointed if it turns out to be truly impossible.

Dachannien
July 6th, 2008, 16:38
Tokeninstances appear not to be widgetcontainers, so it would seem that you can't add widgets to them directly. There doesn't seem to be a function exposing token rotation, either. As for modifying the name of a token, this is better done through the combat tracker - I would guess that if you try modifying the token name directly, it would run the risk of being overwritten by the combat tracker during some update event.

That said, I tried just a few days ago to add widgets to a map underlying a token, and was met with failure. I wanted to add a bitmapwidget to the map in the same location as the token to represent light sources. One could conceivably use the same idea to add widgets to the map near the token to represent conditions like blindness, etc. Unfortunately, even though I didn't get any error messages, I couldn't actually see the widget on the map.