PDA

View Full Version : Updating: Package File Write error

adammar
July 5th, 2008, 22:10
Hello

When attempting an update the process seems to start out ok but then I start getting lines and lines of "Package File Write error."

Is there some setting that I must change to get an update to occur?

Thanks in advance.

Adam

adammar
July 11th, 2008, 04:19
Any ideas?

Oberoten
July 11th, 2008, 09:13
I have seen this error generated by other applications occasionally if there is a strict antivirus program running, try and turn of the AV while installing the update?

adammar
July 12th, 2008, 05:14
Thanks for the reply. I turned off the Virus Protection and Firewall and still get the same error. It doesn't seem to happen on the 1st few files but is consistant afterward.

Oberoten
July 12th, 2008, 09:46
Hmm.. Did you check and remove eventual tempfiles from previous downloads?

adammar
July 13th, 2008, 01:42
I'm beginning to think there is something wrong with my install. I can't load campaigns. The load area is greyed out. The program seems to work fine as a client but I was going to try some GMing when I started realizing I'm having these problems.

Griogre
July 13th, 2008, 03:57
You don't have two licenses on the same machine do you? That seems to cause problems.

adammar
July 13th, 2008, 05:32
No, Just one. I can't find any temp files left over and Ifigured out that my error loading a campaign was an error on my part. (Needed to hit the load campaign button first) I am at a bit of a loss.

joeru
July 13th, 2008, 09:10
If you're by any chance using Vista, you probably have to run FG as an Administrator (right-click to bring up the option) before the updater works.

Griogre
July 13th, 2008, 18:57
You don't need to run FG2 as an Admin, since it is Vista compliant. That is the whole reason behind the data app folder in FG2. Actually, you should avoid running it as an admin. Even FG1 should be run as an XP app not as admin.

Spyke
July 13th, 2008, 20:08
Which lines do you see OK when you update? It might help to narrow down what's failing. When I update, the sequence is:

Checking package listing
Checking package FantasyGroundsUpdater for updates
Checking package d20modules for updates
Checking package SWK01 for updates
Checking package d20 for updates
Done!

adammar
July 14th, 2008, 04:13
The sequence I get is the same until the done part. :) I get:

Checking package listing
Package file write error
Package file write error
Package file write error
(This goes on for a few hundred lines and takes a while)

Also, I am running XP pro.

I do appreciate the help.

Oberoten
July 14th, 2008, 07:48
Scandisk to check if you have unwriteable sectors? AKA, I am running out of ideas now...

Griogre
July 14th, 2008, 18:09
Yeah, or do you have the FG directory, data directory or FG files locked or set to be read only? It looks like it is trying to write to the updated files but is being prevented.

adammar
July 14th, 2008, 23:34
Scan disk is giving me nothing. What is the directory structure supposed to look like. I am wondering if I am missing files it is looking for.

hatch
July 15th, 2008, 23:33
I am getting this same error using Vista 64. This sucks.

Checking package listing
Package file write error
Package file write error
Package file write error
(This goes on for a few hundred lines and takes a while)

Exact same sequence for me too.

hatch
July 15th, 2008, 23:45
I fixed this problem with a reboot. Go figure.

adammar
July 16th, 2008, 03:18
Thanks Hatch - At least another person was getting the same error. Now if I can figure out what is causing it. What would a reboot reset that I can reset manually...

adammar
July 17th, 2008, 01:41
I've spent a little more time working on the problem and it seems that the error is creating a d20.pak.tmp file. Every time I get the packet error that file seems to get a bit bigger. I have tried renaming/erasing the file with no different results.

Does this help?

Griogre
July 17th, 2008, 01:57
Your disk is not full or you don't have a quota set on it do you?

adammar
July 17th, 2008, 23:24
No, I have plenty of disk space. I can watch the tmp file increse in size each time I get the error message.

Griogre
July 18th, 2008, 00:38
Hmm just for fun try booting into safe mode with network support and run the updater, see if it makes any differance.

You don't have FG on a drive different from C do you? Or have redirected the location of data apps in the OS or in the registry for FG have you?

Spyke
July 19th, 2008, 15:33
This was touched on earlier, but in a slightly different way, so is perhaps worth checking:

Do you have multiple user logins set on your machine, and if so, is the one you are using set as an administrator or as a limited user?

adammar
July 19th, 2008, 17:31
Thanks all I was able to upgrade using safe mode, but am unable to figure out the conflict. It works in safe mode and for one time after reboot then the error returns. (I thought it was Steam for a bit) At least I have a way to upgrade.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Griogre
July 19th, 2008, 18:24
Glad safe mode worked.

If it works in safe mode, you can find out the conflict. It's obviously something loading in normal startup. Just do a diagnostic start and cut off half the things that load (obviouly loading networking things). If the updater works it is in something in the half cut off. If it doesn't work then you have a problem in something still being loaded at startup (don't discount the fact you may have more than one problem in the things cut off - given how hard it was to isolate your problem you might actually have more than one thing causing problems). Half the things you are still loading and keep doing it until you can get the updater to work. You should eventually be able to isolate the exe causing the issue. If it is not apparent what the exe is to, check the path it is loading from and/or Google the exe.