PDA

View Full Version : Module Creation Tutorial

Xorn
July 2nd, 2008, 14:41
I've thrown together a little web page that goes step by step through how I create my adventure modules. I've had a few people say they liked how my modules were lain out, so I thought I'd share. If it makes one DM's prep time easier, then I'm happy.

Moderator edit: removed links as no longer valid and redirect to dodgy website. See the "Archived video tutorials" section of the downloads page (link at the top of this page) for the "adventure module" video.

Enjoy!

EDIT: I added a link to the PDF file, which is more detailed, until it's put into the Library.

EDIT (16-Sep-2008):

I just want to make a quick update (I'll revise the PDF and vid-tutorials this weekend, no game :():

You no longer need to use the token-export workaround, thanks to the 2.2 update. You can just export your host tokens, and they will stay linked correctly now. I'm sure the veterans caught this, but for newer folks just starting to make adventure modules SKIP that part of my tutorial--just link your tokens from your token box--you don't need to do the "partial export" step anymore.

Nice fix, SmiteWorks!

Xorn
July 3rd, 2008, 19:15
I updated this to include the steps to "double-export" the module so your exported tokens stay linked to the Personalities.

Any other things folks would like to see on this? With 50 reads I'm thinking someone has gone out and looked at it. :)

Valgard
July 3rd, 2008, 19:31
Thanks for that, I certainly picked up a few tricks from it that I hadn't done before, and I'd certainly agree with you about using a second monitor when GM'ing a session. My games run much better since I got one.

Ian

DNH
July 3rd, 2008, 21:09
I haven't read this article in its entirety but I have seen enough to know that this is excellent work. Something along these lines was long overdue, in my opinion.

I would say this is a candidate for a sticky.

Xorn
July 3rd, 2008, 23:49
If the powers that be would like to do something like that, then I'd make a .pdf of it or something they could host in the library.

Oberoten
July 4th, 2008, 00:19
Someone needs to Sticky this thread.

Foen
July 4th, 2008, 05:56
Very comprehensive tutorial Xorn, definately should be stickied and a PDF would be helpful too.

Foen

mr_h
July 4th, 2008, 14:00
This looks pretty sweet. I Was just getting ready to add Keep on the Shadowfell to FG2, looks like this would be a good model to follow:)

*seconds the PDF*

Ged
July 5th, 2008, 22:05
Someone needs to Sticky this thread. Stickied. Excellent work Xorn, thanks!

DMJBone
July 8th, 2008, 07:23
I could have used this about a year ago! ;) I pretty much do all this now on my own-Great job though-this is long overdue.

Xorn
July 10th, 2008, 15:21
The PDF should be in the library soon. :D

TaranShannara
July 10th, 2008, 15:58
Good job on this.

When can we see the definitive guide to map sizes, portrait sizes, and token sizes? ;)

Xorn
July 10th, 2008, 20:38
LOL

Definitive guide? I think the map sizes vary from 30 px/sq (Griogre) up to 100 px/sq for some folks.

My maps are 50 px/sq, my tokens are 100 px/medium, and I use tokens for portraits (though I'll do some custom minis for players).

Griogre
July 13th, 2008, 18:33
I commented on the PDF in another thread - this is a great tutorial. The only tip I would add to it is to have your module tabs a different color other than red so you can see at a glance which are module tabs.

Xorn
July 27th, 2008, 19:20
I added the PDF I made to the first post, until it's in the Library.

Foen
July 27th, 2008, 19:28
SmiteWorks folks:

Put it in the library please.

icedcrow
August 7th, 2008, 23:21
I'll be using Dunjinni for my battle mats. How do you define pixel/square?

I will probably be using 100 px / medium as well for tokens... I want to make sure my maps work.

Xorn
August 7th, 2008, 23:56
The default export option to PNG or JPG (in DJ) is 50 pixels per square. (That's the size I use, and pretty common, though I believe Griogre uses 30 px/sq and someone uses 72. If you export from DJ as a BMP it will do up to 200 px/square but that's excessive unless you're printing the maps.

My tokens are twice the size of my grid, only so I can zoom a bit without them getting fuzzy.

Talen
August 18th, 2008, 19:50
I had read your tutorial and apologise if I missed this...I I add to an adventure module later (say add a room or just didnt get all my data entry done in one sitting - is it as easy as loading the module, making the changes and reexporting with the same info?

Griogre
August 18th, 2008, 20:13
It is as easy as reloading the adventure module's *campaign* making the changes and re-exporting. I do it all the time.

Making changes to a loaded module in a different campaign can be bad because when you unload the module all the changes go away. Note, in some cases, this can be a good thing - but only if you understand it.

Xorn
August 18th, 2008, 20:51
What Griogre said. :D

Open the campaign for the adventure, update it, and re-export the module.

Talen
August 19th, 2008, 01:34
soooooo, when I reexport, I just need to remember the file name I used and it will overright the file?...and If I dont recall the filename, just look in my mod directory?

Griogre
August 19th, 2008, 03:54
Correct. I will sometimes bring up the module folder to look at the file name right as I am typing it in.

Sakusammakko
August 29th, 2008, 06:44
Xorne,

I've just read your tutorial and enjoyed it. I look forward to doing some of my own work using this method.

I like how carefully you've explained each step with screenshots. I can see that there may be some lingering confusion over terms-- e.g. campaign, adventure module, adventure campaign, export to a module, etc. I think I'll be able to keep it all straight. Will let you know.

Thank you for your efforts.

Xorn
August 29th, 2008, 13:20
Xorne,

I've just read your tutorial and enjoyed it. I look forward to doing some of my own work using this method.

I like how carefully you've explained each step with screenshots. I can see that there may be some lingering confusion over terms-- e.g. campaign, adventure module, adventure campaign, export to a module, etc. I think I'll be able to keep it all straight. Will let you know.

Thank you for your efforts.

Click the link in my signature! While I like that PDF tutorial as my first effort, I took it a step further and I'm positive you'll be able to keep everything in the video tutorials straight. :)

Ged
September 3rd, 2008, 21:42
Xorn's tutorials are hard to beat :) and while the video tutorials rock, the pdf is now also included in the Library->User Guide->Using Modules (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/userguide/modules.xcp) section, Creating modules entry. Thanks Xorn! (We might be making a new category to the Library where this would fit better/ be found more easily, but we'll see.)

Xorn
September 16th, 2008, 07:34
I just want to make a quick update (I'll revise the PDF and vid-tutorials this weekend, no game :():

You no longer need to use the token-export workaround, thanks to the 2.2 update. You can just export your host tokens, and they will stay linked correctly now. I'm sure the veterans caught this, but for newer folks just starting to make adventure modules SKIP that part of my tutorial--just link your tokens from your token box--you don't need to do the "partial export" step anymore.

Nice fix, SmiteWorks!

(I'm posting this on both of my threads at the front and back.)

Talen
September 23rd, 2008, 03:46
When adding the image when exporting the module, can it be in either png or jpg format?

Ged
September 23rd, 2008, 13:13
When adding the image when exporting the module, can it be in either png or jpg format?

Yes it can (or in a number of additional image formats as well).

Phystus
September 24th, 2008, 01:00
Yes it can (or in a number of additional image formats as well).

Could you give us a list of the allowed formats?

~P

zabulus
September 24th, 2008, 15:31
A search on the forum (on "supported" and "format") got me a message from one of the developers (I think it was GED) from 2004:

"The supported image formats are PNG, JPG, GIF, BMP and TGA"

I think this has not changed since then.

Oberoten
September 24th, 2008, 15:46
A suggestion for the Devs perhaps? Add this information to the FAQ.

Sakusammakko
October 13th, 2008, 20:06
Perhaps you can help with these questions regarding creating a module:

Xorne, you have a campaign in which you test new modules to see if they work; in your video tutorial, the campaign only loads one module. How do you do this? Why don't the other modules for the ruleset also load?

When I create a new 'testing grounds' campaign (using the C&C ruleset), my existing C&C modules show up. How can I turn them off, as it were-- as you appear to have done?

Thanks.

Xorn
October 14th, 2008, 00:07
Heh, the other modules I have didn't show up because I removed them from the \modules folder. :D I have like 20 modules and I wanted the tutorial to be very clean and easy to follow. :) Plus I don't want everyone to be jealous of all my converted adventure modules. :P

Sakusammakko
October 14th, 2008, 05:29
I suspected this was the case, though I was secretly hoping you'd found some magical way of hiding the excess modules.

Fine then. I'll remove the modules from my folder if things get too cluttered.

Thanks.

Xorn
October 14th, 2008, 12:58
I just made a folder called "Old Modules" in my \FG2 folder in App Data, and stick modules that I want out of the way there. But I don't exactly look through my modules THAT often, either.

MeepoSose
October 15th, 2008, 02:21
Plus I don't want everyone to be jealous of all my converted adventure modules. :P

And we would be.

willquestion
March 31st, 2009, 06:26
The link in the first post isn't working. I would like to read it and I'd appreciate any help.
~Will

Griogre
March 31st, 2009, 09:03
Xorn's site is down but the tutorials are hosted on the FG site in the download section and online at https://www.rpgvirtualtabletop.com/tutorials/tutorials.html

grider
April 6th, 2009, 17:42
I watched these videos last night...It seems FG2 has gotten much more stable and easier to work with. I quit gaming for over 2 years and have been trolling these forums. These videos have inspired me and I just might start riding the horse again.

BIG Kudos to Xorn!

AidenM
May 2nd, 2009, 08:20
Oh great Xorn whose tutorials have helped me through digitizing H1, and H2 (thunderspire labyrinth), I have a question for you.

No matter what I try, I can't get tokens pre-placed on maps to survive the export process.

When I open the module, the maps have no grid set, and there are no tokens on them (not even the basic, built in A,B,C,D, etc.), *EVEN THOUGH* The creatures exported retain their proper tokens...

I'm guessing this has something to do with FG using tokens inconsistently between personalities and on maps.

Xorn, do you have any way around this?

Devs - any thought given to improving the export process? As it stands it's not very friendly.

Thanks in advance.

-Aiden

P.S. Seriously Xorn, great tutorials. It's always nice to have a reference for how to get things done when learning a new piece of software. Especially one with a plurality of features.

i101
January 26th, 2010, 20:01
Hmm cant download the PDF .. The link seems to be dead.

cpbs
January 26th, 2010, 22:10
Yeah I was looking for this today. Had to do a little looking around.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/userguide/modules.xcp

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/module.tutorial.v1.pdf

Hope that helps.

Xorn
February 4th, 2010, 13:01
Sorry, any of my old links are now at eugee.info, same address otherwise.

nunocorreia
March 31st, 2010, 23:04
is it me, or the links are broken?

edit: working now

Strangeplay
April 16th, 2010, 05:53
A simple question; how do I add maps I created, and what programs do you suggest?

TFWoods3
August 11th, 2011, 03:08
Guys, I've been looking around but can't find how to reload and edit a mod that you didn't create. I would like to update and add entries to a library ... is there a way to do this?

Moon Wizard
August 11th, 2011, 06:38
It depends on how much work you want to take on.

The modules are essentially XML files within a ZIP file. If you are comfortable with editing XML files, just rename the module to .ZIP and open in Windows. Then, you will need to copy the db.xml, client.xml or common.xml file out; make your changes; then copy it back in.

I would highly recommend making a backup before making edits, as well as getting a good XML editor that performs syntax checking (such as Notepad++ with XML Tools plugin).

Regards,
JPG

TFWoods3
August 11th, 2011, 17:56
Thanks, may take a look at trying it.

heyhogan
October 19th, 2012, 20:23
I want to create a token module similar to the Letter Tokens module that comes with FG. I just dug into the ZIP file and updated the tokens in the Tokens directory and tweaked the definitions.xml file with a new name. When I copied this back into the modules folder, it was not seen by FG. Is there something else I can edit or do to get this recognized, or should I just export a dummy module and replace it with mine?

saithan
October 19th, 2012, 21:02
to make a token module simply follow these steps.
prior to making these steps have your tokens in the token folder.
1. create a campaign.
2. when the camapign is loaded; type /export into the chat.
3 fill in the export window data (name and filename, author).
4 drag and drop the tokens you want in the module to the lower area of the export window labeled "Exported Tokens".
done....right click the window select export, your new .mod file will be waiting for you to give out in your modules folder.

heyhogan
October 19th, 2012, 21:13
Thanks saithan, I think I will give this a shot. To "clean-up" FG when you have an old adventure module that you don't want anymore, what should you delete? Obviously the MOD file, but anything else?

wbcreighton
October 19th, 2012, 21:51
The campaign file is the file that needs to be cleaned up.

Don't delete the .mod files. In the library activation section just close access to the mod/library file and those entries will disappear. Drag across the book to the right to close it.

If you ever need access to the module again you can simply activate it.

Any story entries, encounters, notes, etc created and saved within the campaign are the things that need to be deleted. If it was me I would export them to a module before I deleted them for future reference. You also need to move or delete images that get saved within your campaign images folder to remove them.

Laconiclament
April 4th, 2013, 21:24
To confirm for us newbies, having things put together for a module means FG2 will be accessing less files for a campaign, have a more organized and consolidated structure for your maps/notes/images, and would be how you utilize more than just a ruleset? Yes?

For instance, I'm transitioning my local game onto FG2 for less clutter when we get together. I would want to create a module containing key cities, dungeon maps, planned encounters, (I assume) characters, story notes/devices, etc. That way when I launch FG2, open my campaign, I can click to employ said module and all that stuff will be available for me to drag and drop as needed. I can also force players to load aspects of the module? Like, a magic item compendium, a spell compendium, tokens, etc?

Just trying to make sure I'm properly wrapping my head around how to best utilize FG2!

Trenloe
April 4th, 2013, 21:52
For instance, I'm transitioning my local game onto FG2 for less clutter when we get together. I would want to create a module containing key cities, dungeon maps, planned encounters, (I assume) characters, story notes/devices, etc. That way when I launch FG2, open my campaign, I can click to employ said module and all that stuff will be available for me to drag and drop as needed. I can also force players to load aspects of the module? Like, a magic item compendium, a spell compendium, tokens, etc?

Just trying to make sure I'm properly wrapping my head around how to best utilize FG2!
There are broadly 2 types of modules:

Library modules
GM/Campaign modules

Library modules are the ones you can control if the players have access to them, and the data appears in the "Library" section of FG. These are for reference resources such as rules, equipment, spells, magic items, etc..

Campaign modules as I'm calling them, contain campaign information that a GM uses to run their campaign. They are essentially copies of data from another campaign - story, images/maps, NPC, items, tables, etc. from another campaign. They are handy for ongoing campaigns that last for a long time - have separate campaign modules for individual scenarios and have them open when you're running them but close them when you no longer need them. This keeps the overall size of the campaign files within FG down - which helps to minimize initial player connection time and keeps the campaign cleaner.

You can see 2 examples of these in the standard release of Fantasy Grounds. Create a new 3.5e campaign, once it loads open up the library and then click "Module Activation". Activate the "3.5e Basic Rules, 3.5e spells and "Well Met in Kith'takharos" modules (so that the book icon next to them is open). Close the module activate window.

In the Library window you will see the two 3.5e library modules you activated - 3.5e Basic Rules and 3.5e spells. Click on the links and see the information you can view in this library. These are library modules.

Then, for the campaign module, open the "Story" list and look at the green tabs along the bottom - these contain story entries from the "Well Met in Kith'takharos" campaign module, just like story entries in the usual campaign entries. There are entries from this module in images and maps, NPCs and items too.

Callum
April 4th, 2013, 23:36
Just to make explicit something that's implicit in Trenloe's excellent explanation of modules: you'd have a base campaign that held your PCs. This would be the one you'd run when you fired up FG, and then you'd activate the other modules as needed within that.

Laconiclament
April 4th, 2013, 23:38
Yep, yep...thanks all for tolerating what are probably tedious questions. It is all sinking in, though, and I do appreciate the great community you all have fostered here.

Invictys
April 21st, 2013, 09:28
I'm having a couple of problem when exporting a module. I am using Dr. Zeus's Enhanced Images extension.

1)Any tokens I place in any layer other than the top layer do not get exported even if I put them in the "tokens to export" box along with every other token in an encounter.

Is this working as intended? I had hoped to use FG2, some varied base maps, and a bunch of art tokens to create maps quickly and easily. Works fine in campaign but I'd like to keep everything nice and tidy and utilize modules for adventures.

2) Also, grids are supposed to export aren't they? None of the grids on the images made it in the export. This causes me to have to reset a grid for every encounter and reposition whatever tokens are no longer on proper squares.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

dittotb
April 21st, 2013, 14:57
I went to your eugee links on the first page of this discussion and was sent to
https://top-news-flash.latmas.org/?sov=195039106&hid=no
(Please do not click on this link)

sakmerlin37
May 12th, 2013, 05:04
I, too, was sent to a weird website when trying to download from the links on the first post.

Trenloe
May 12th, 2013, 05:14
I, too, was sent to a weird website when trying to download from the links on the first post.
Thanks for the head up - I've removed the link. The video is still available in the "Archived Video Tutorials" section of the "Downloads" page - "Adventure Module" video.

sakmerlin37
July 1st, 2013, 19:44
Since the video is available elsewhere & the tutorial is no longer available, should this still be a sticky item?

AstaSyneri
October 5th, 2013, 18:27
Likely not - and I am looking for more current tutorials. Are there any? It's a bit of a shame to only find those ancient references. Maybe it's just me and the search engines... :(

Nickademus
October 5th, 2013, 18:37
I assume a new set will be made by someone when FG 3.0 is made live. Haven't found anything current for 2.9.4 though.

dulux-oz
October 6th, 2013, 04:30
Hang-in there guys, they're coming.

I've just got to deal with "real-life", which is taking me away from producing Tutorial Videos, GMing my game, and generally laying around on the beach enjoying the Oz spring/summer. :p

Nickademus
October 6th, 2013, 05:32
Oz, are you going to redo the 2.9.4 tutorials you have already done to be in line with FG 3.0? Also, how much of the actual module-creation advice will your tutorials be going into? This is different than just the use of the software; more like good design practices.

dulux-oz
October 6th, 2013, 13:53
I was going to do an Update Video to cover the changes from 2.9.4 to 3.0, depending upon how many changes, etc, there are/will be (no, I haven't looked at 3.0 yet). As far as the Module Tutorial: I was planning on covering both design and use in some depth - after all, that type of thing is tipically a more in-depth feature used by GMs more than Players.

Of course, I might have to "start from scratch" with the 3.0 Videos, depending upon what actually transpires.