PDA

View Full Version : Transparency

scytale2
June 29th, 2008, 22:54
Hopefully an easy question for someone with an inkling of technical ability.

I am trying to resize Snikle's beautifully produced tokens to 80x80 or 160x160, so they fit a standard and I don't have to fiddle with resizing them in combat and can just lock the token size to the map.

My problem is that the moment I send them to Irfanview, it makes them on a black background. I can painstakingly remove the background and resize the token, so they are transparent again (with a black border), but then when I put them into my tokens folder of FG2 they go black again.

I'm sure I am doing something wrong, but what is it?

Many thanks in advance.

Griogre
June 30th, 2008, 00:42
Scytale2, I love IrfanView and use it all the time... but it does *not* handle transparency - which you need for those tokens. You need to use something else to resize. I use Paint.NET a free program that is MS Paint on steroids (but not up to Photoshop standards and requires the .NET framework) or you could use the GIMP (I don't like this program's interface or the Java but for just resizing a token it would work fine).

scytale2
June 30th, 2008, 22:56
Thanks for this Paint.net is very quick and easy - problem solved!

Angloson
January 27th, 2009, 15:14
Well, I've been using paint.net for tokens. I too, like the transparency for tokens, BUT sometimes it seems to cut out the background and at other times it leaves the white or other backgrounds that I've cropped out. I think I'm missing a little step here, sometimes.

Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Griogre
January 28th, 2009, 08:02
I'm not exactly sure what you are asking Angloson.

I take it you are talking about making D&D minis for tokens? Are you using the magic wand to select the background? Make sure you move the sensitivity form the default 50% to like 15 to 20% and press delete.

Make sure you are not using layers.

Maybe you could give a step by step on what you are doing that isn't working for you?