PDA

View Full Version : need a step by step guie for installing purchassed rulesets

aurore
June 29th, 2008, 10:37
Sorry to sound dumb, but I recently bought some rulesets from RPGnow and find the instalation instructions to be incomprehensible and incomplete.

I dont know how to install the files and which directories they go in. I have token subdirectories, ruleset directories, images etc and no clue where to put any of them. Ive read the FAQ here and it doesnt help me. Maybe it should, but it doesnt.

So I need a complete idiots guide that tells me exactly which directories to put which files types in as I cant get anything to work at the moment.

Aurore

Oberoten
June 29th, 2008, 11:09
Well, a good idea might be to tell which ruleset and perhaps see if you have a readme file there somewhere telling what to put where?

Sorontar
June 29th, 2008, 12:09
Yup usually the rulesets come with a Readme.txt which tells you what goes where and if it's a Digital Adventures product then it also has their support e-mail.

As Obe says though if you can state what you have and what files are in each purchase we may be able to give you a "put this here" answer.

aurore
June 29th, 2008, 12:38
well I have these all from rpg now. and yes there is a readme file but it just says as below. The comment 'and so on' is far from helpful. I have ae image and tokens directory that I have no idea where to put. A d20-ae directory that is not clear where to put and is full of sub directories and xml files.

It refers you to the fg2 library, which does not contain any instructions about which files to put where...

Frankly im tempted to call rpgnow incompetent. If you SELL a product it should come with an autoinstaller and not leave the user to worry about anything else. If it doesnt then they need a full list of where everything has to be put not refer you to another sites FAQ that doesnt have the answers you need, or make comments like 'and so on'.

Yes I put the 3 mod files into the mod directory. Now what about the other several hundred files.....

There are several subdirectories containing tokens....

You have purchased the Arcana Evolved Ruleset v2 for Fantasy Grounds II.

FILE INSTALLATION
---------------------
The included files in the go in a certain place depending on what OS you are running.

In Windows Vista it is:
C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II\

In Windows XP its:
C:\documents and settings\<USER>\Application Data\Fantasy Grounds II\

The ruleset files d20-AE directory) go in the ruleset directory, .MOD files (that contain the product content) in the module directory, and so on. When you uncompress the ruleset make sure you don't create a nested directory. The path to the reference.xml should be:

\\Fantasy Grounds II\rulesets\d20-AE\reference.xml

If you are not sure about Fantasy Grounds file functionality, refer to the reference library at:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/library/

SUPPORT
--------------------
If you experience any problems with this digital product, please contact support at:

[email protected]

Thank you for your purchase!

Arcana Evolved Ruleset for Fantasy Grounds II
Arcana Evolved - Spell Treasury for Fantasy Grounds II
Iron Heroes Ruleset for Fantasy Grounds
The Complete SRD for Fantasy Grounds II

Foen
June 29th, 2008, 13:30
The FG2 forum isn't really for product support on third party products, so you might want to contact Digital Adventures at the email address in the readme file. That said, here's my two cents:

Assuming you are running Vista, and your Vista login name is John, then you first need to locate the FG2 rulesets directory, which would be C:\Users\John\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II\rulesets.

A ruleset is usually added by unzipping the files into this rulesets directory, and the unzip process creates all the sub-directories for you. They should automatically be created in a new sub-directory in the FG2 rulesets directory with the ruleset name, so in this case you should have:
C:\Users\John\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II\rulesets\d20-AE

With the other files and directories beneath it, for example:
C:\Users\John\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II\rulesets\d20-AE\frames
C:\Users\John\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II\rulesets\d20-AE\scripts
C:\Users\John\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II\rulesets\d20-AE\images
etc.

As the instructions say, you need to be a bit careful that you don't accidentally create a d20-AE subdirectory within the main d20-AE directory when you unzip it, otherwise your directories will look like:
C:\Users\John\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II\rulesets\d20-AE\d20-AE\frames
C:\Users\John\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II\rulesets\d20-AE\d20-AE\scripts
C:\Users\John\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II\rulesets\d20-AE\d20-AE\images
etc.

As you have mentioned, the .MOD files go in the following directory:
C:\Users\John\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II\modules

This doesn't need a d20-AE subdirectory, as FG2 can tell which modules work with which rulesets.

Hope that helps

Foen

Sorontar
June 29th, 2008, 19:38
As Foen says copy the whole of the d20-AE folder into the ruleset folder, you don't need to look at the individual files therein.

That should be job done.

richard_doll
September 29th, 2008, 12:13
HI,

I seem to have a similar problem to some other users. I followed the descriptions here verbatim, created a \rulesets subdirectory and copied my ruleset folders right into that (with all the files and subdirs), but the FGII client does not seem to pick up the rulesets from the \rulesets folder.

The only choice I can select is the d20 default set.

Also...I noticed that the FGII client does not install any subfolders. It's only a flat one-level directory structure. As said...I have added the \rulesets subdir, but it has made no difference.
Is there a location or startup parameter I need to modify?

Cheers,
RD:confused:

Valarian
September 29th, 2008, 12:47
Are you sure you're putting the ruleset in the Application Data directory? It may help to post up the exact directory (full path name) you're putting the ruleset in to.

Foen
September 30th, 2008, 07:55
Also, you mentioned the FG client install: rulesets are generally only available on the host machine (using a Full licence, not a Lite licence). Clients automatically download the ruleset when they connect to a host game that uses it.

Foen

Oberoten
September 30th, 2008, 08:40
Just to clarify, the application data folder is not the same as the program folder. It is the one linked from your start menu.

Ogma
September 30th, 2008, 21:01
I installed a ruleset... WinZip pops open revealing a MASSIVE list of items (numerous .png files, numerous .lua files, several .fgf files, etc. The readme doesn't refer to the individual files, it just says: "The ruleset files go in the ruleset directory"...

What the heck do I do with all this stuff?

The only CLEAR piece of instruction in the readme is the section that tells me to put the .mod files into the module directory...

HELP!!!

Griogre
September 30th, 2008, 21:29
That massive list of files is all the ruleset files. Just unzip the download you got from DA onto your desktop in a folder. Once it is unzipped you will see some folders. I don't know the structure of the downloaded folder, I don't have AE, but as you open the folder you will probably see the readme file and mod files. Keep drilling down until you find a folder called d20-AE (it's probably two or three deep). Go down one more level and make sure this folder has the frames, scripts and images sub directories. Once you find the frames, scripts and images directories and a bunch of files you have found the ruleset folder. Go back up one level. This is the ruleset folder you want in FG's ruleset folder. Your goal is to move this into FG's ruleset folder in data apps.

To find FG's data apps folder (after you have installed FG) press the Start Button select All Programs, then Fantasy Grounds II and then click on Application Data. This will pop up a window with FG's data app folder. You should see a folder called rulesets and one called modules. Just move or copy the folder you determined was the ruleset folder into the ruleset folder and the modules in the module folder.

If this is still too confusing then you need to tell us exactly what your unzipped folder looks like and their sub folders so we can tell you exactly which folder to move. The trick is identifying the ruleset folder after that you just need to move it. :)