PDA

View Full Version : Troubles with graphics again...

El Maharun Llama
June 27th, 2008, 21:16
Hey thar!
My quest for changing the graphics of FG has started off quite well through some self-exploration (and with some help, naturally), but I've encountered another problem I cannot solve. You see, I've modified the small buttons on the upper right corner of the FG desktop, the ones where the character list, lightning, modules etc buttons are. The problem is that I can't replace the original images with the modified ones for some reason. I've tried to replace the names of the modded pics to match the original ones (putting the original images elsewhere, of course), but the buttons always appear as the original ones.
What to do, oh what to do? :confused: :confused:

--In desperate need for help--

Ged
June 27th, 2008, 21:43
Have taken a look at https://www.fantasygrounds.com/modguide/introduction.xcp, and there the text under heading "Using the d20 ruleset as a basis".

El Maharun Llama
June 28th, 2008, 16:06
Well, thanks for the link, but it didn't really help me that much. :(

Foen
June 28th, 2008, 16:48
Have you extracted and renamed your ruleset? You cannot just edit the d20 ruleset without creating one with a new name (like my20 or something).

Foen

El Maharun Llama
June 29th, 2008, 12:38
The thing is that the graphics.xml file I've been working with resides in the Fantasy Grounds/data folder, not in the ruleset folders. I've tried to change the file path in the .xml file to the place with the modified files in the ruleset folders, but it hasn't worked, either. Heck, I even removed the original files completely, but they still appeared in the program! (I did take copies of them first, of course)

Foen
June 29th, 2008, 13:12
Sorry to labour the point, but if the original files have been removed from the ruleset and they still appear when you run it, then my guess is that you are still using d20 as a ruleset name. If not, then it might be helpful if you posted a couple of the key files (renamed as .txt) and a schematic of your directory structure.

I'm intrigued as to why you are using the data folder not the rulesets folder for your graphics.xml file.

Foen

El Maharun Llama
June 30th, 2008, 15:33
Well, the files I'm trying to use instead of the original ones are called "button_openwindow2.png" and "button_openwindow2down.png", and the modified ones are called "button_openwindow2silver.png" and "button_openwindow2downsilver.png". There are many more I'm trying to edit, but these are for example.
And no, I do have a separate ruleset folder named "viking_campaign" instead of "d20".
As for the directory structure, the folders go as follows:
Fantasy Grounds/data/icons (this is where all of the original files and modified ones are, not moved or otherwise tampered after FG's installation)
Fantasy Grounds/rulesets (this is where the d20 and viking_campaign folders reside, and the icon folders in each ruleset have none of the files mentioned above)

I hope this helped in a way or another.

Goblin-King
June 30th, 2008, 15:36
Just to confirm, is this FG1 or FG2 we're talking about? The data folder was used in the first version of the program, but most people will be discussing FG2 unless otherwise stated :).

El Maharun Llama
July 1st, 2008, 19:13
Ah. Well, I've got the first FG.

Foen
July 1st, 2008, 22:49
Ahh, sorry El Maharun, I assumed you were talking about FG2 and I have little knowledge of FG1.

Foen

Ged
July 1st, 2008, 23:25
If you have just started your customizations, I really have to recommend you switch to Fantasy Grounds II immediately. It is a free update and available here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/downloads/) (installer). Not only is FGII much better, it is also used much more, which means that finding players for FGII will probably be a lot easier.

El Maharun Llama
July 2nd, 2008, 20:20
I see. Do I have to buy the license for FG II, too?

Griogre
July 2nd, 2008, 21:21
FG2 is a free upgrade to anyone holding a license for FG1.

Foen
July 2nd, 2008, 21:28
Your players will also have to upgrade, if you want them to be able to use FGII content. You can run both versions side-by-side on the same PC (so you can still have FG and FGII games) but you cannot connect an FG game to an FGII game (FGII isn't directly backwards compatible).

Foen