PDA

View Full Version : For someone with LITTLE/NO program knownledge is FG2 too hard to opperate?

JudoMonk
June 26th, 2008, 15:46
Hello

I am the Keeper, pen & paper, for my Call of Cthulhu group( 6-14 players) and never get the chance to play the game I enjoy so much. I read that FG2 will be having a Call of Cthulhu mod that will be ready soon....great news!

For I have little(at best) or NO knownledge with PC programming. How hard will FG2 CoC (mod) be for someone like me? I would really like to buy this game, when CoC mod is finished, but my lack of PC knowledge might hinder my fun.

thx::D

Oberoten
June 26th, 2008, 16:42
There is actually one about to be released that is buyable... so not much of effort there.

Griogre
June 26th, 2008, 17:06
For I have little(at best) or NO knownledge with PC programming. How hard will FG2 CoC (mod) be for someone like me? I would really like to buy this game, when CoC mod is finished, but my lack of PC knowledge might hinder my fun.
JudoMonk, the hardest part for a non-techincal person is doing the port forwarding and opening the ports on your router. Fantasy Grounds needs port 1802 opened and routed to your computer on the local LAN. If you have a techincal friend you can have him do it or you can go to https://www.portforward.com/ for a step by step.

I would suggest you try doing this *now* before you buy the full version with the FG demo. For networking, it works exactly like the full version.

Goblin-King
June 26th, 2008, 17:52

To clarify, the system is designed so that users fall into two groups, people making mods (scripters, artists etc.) and gamers using them (and some who are both, of course).

If you simply download or purchase a modification made by someone else such as a ruleset, you simply need to install it and select it when you make a campaign, the rest of it is actually using the interface which is typically not technical at all.

JudoMonk
June 26th, 2008, 21:09
To clarify, the system is designed so that users fall into two groups, people making mods (scripters, artists etc.) and gamers using them (and some who are both, of course).

If you simply download or purchase a modification made by someone else such as a ruleset, you simply need to install it and select it when you make a campaign, the rest of it is actually using the interface which is typically not technical at all.

Would I still need to mess with routers/ports as a gamer?

thx

Master
June 26th, 2008, 23:07
Yes, if you plan on being the keeper you will need to set up the port forwarding. This may be impossible depending on the way your network is set up so it is important that you download the demo and see if it is possible to get it to work before you buy it. It is extremely rare that you can not forward a port number but it can happen in extreme cases.

Dachannien
June 26th, 2008, 23:13
Only if you're hosting a game (i.e., you're the GM of your game). Players don't have to worry about router configuration unless they have an unusual setup, in which case they probably already know what they're doing.

On a side note, routers and port forwarding are not difficult to figure out, if you're willing to put in a few minutes to read about them. www.portforward.com is a decent reference.

Foen
June 27th, 2008, 22:01
The routers/ports thing for Keeprs/GMs is jolly frustrating the first time you run a game (you probably want to put a session aside just to work it out, and leave your next session to start the game).

Once set up for the Keeper, however, it is a stroll in the park for most other folks and for subsequent scenarios.

That said, there are generally a good many folks around here who will help you get your machine set up. Most of us are nice, and some are even knowledgable! I'm, unfortunatley, not in the latter camp and needed a couple of hours help the first time I hosted a game *blushes*

The Call of Cthulhu add-in should be available this summer (aiming for a GenCon release), and should be straightforward to set up.

Cheers

Foen

Sorontar
June 27th, 2008, 22:33
The routers/ports thing for Keeprs/GMs is jolly frustrating the first time you run a game (you probably want to put a session aside just to work it out, and leave your next session to start the game).

Once set up for the Keeper, however, it is a stroll in the park for most other folks and for subsequent scenarios.

That said, there are generally a good many folks around here who will help you get your machine set up. Most of us are nice, and some are even knowledgable! I'm, unfortunatley, not in the latter camp and needed a couple of hours help the first time I hosted a game *blushes*

The Call of Cthulhu add-in should be available this summer (aiming for a GenCon release), and should be straightforward to set up.

Cheers

Foen

Ah nice of you to confirm when the UK summer is going to be Foen, I'll ear-mark those days for the garden :D

Foen
June 28th, 2008, 06:45
I think it'll be summer in GenCon, but probably rubbish here in the UK :D

Valgard
June 28th, 2008, 12:08
I'm sorry, I was under the impression we've already HAD summer. I seem to recall three full days of sunshine a week or so ago...

Ian

Spyke
June 28th, 2008, 12:41
Yes, wasn't it delightful? And it lasted so long; we were blessed. I'm battening down the hatches here for winter now.

Spyke