PDA

View Full Version : Tokens and Images in modules

Maxxx26
June 26th, 2008, 07:43
Hi everyone, I am trying to create a library with custom monsters and everything works fine, except that I would like to directly link tokens to their stats.
I know that it is possible to do this with tokens that are in the token directory, but I wanted to know if it is also possible to put the tokens directly into the .mod file?

A similar question. Is it possible to put images into .mod files and force load them on the players side to make loading of maps faster?

Goblin-King
June 26th, 2008, 17:45
I know that it is possible to do this with tokens that are in the token directory, but I wanted to know if it is also possible to put the tokens directly into the .mod file?

This should work just fine. You need to have the module with the tokens available when using the monsters, of course.

A similar question. Is it possible to put images into .mod files and force load them on the players side to make loading of maps faster?

Not with data that the GM shares to the players. Modules that the players have could, in theory, be made to accomplish this, but it would require each player to actually have the module up to date and installed.

Maxxx26
June 27th, 2008, 12:20
How do i link a library entry to a token in a .mod file. I know what i have to do to link it to a token in the standard token directory, but how does it work with tokens in a .mod file?

Foen
June 27th, 2008, 22:09
Create a new campaign with just the module data in it and include your custom tokens on the campaign.

In that campaign you can create monsters and NPCs and link them to token in the campaign.

Export the campaign (using /export) and make sure you include the tokens in the export by dragging them to the token area at the bottom of the export window.

Now you might have to edit the exported file, because FG2 can falter at this point. Give me a shout if you have any difficulties and I'll dig out what I did for an earlier campaign.

Cheers

Stuart

Xorn
July 2nd, 2008, 22:08
Hmmm.

That's an interesting idea.

If you make a campaign, complete with personalities that have tokens (from that campaign folder) linked to them, when you export the module, the links to the tokens break, because the personality entries will now be looking in the HOST campaign, instead of the module file.

But if you were to make a campaign that just contained a bunch of tokens, and exported it to a "Tokens" module...

Could you then just load that module and link to the tokens in it from another campaign? Exporting the token campaign would suck (since you have to drag each token in separately) but then you would just have a token module, that you can distribute with the module that references those tokens!

For instance I could make a Keep on the Shadowfell module, and a Keep on the Shadowfell Tokens module. Open them both and I have my module and tokens, without having to re-link the personalities to their tokens all the time!

(And by the way, is there any way to make /export mechanics just make the token link look in the module file, making it a non-issue?)

I'm going to try this "Token Module" idea when I get home. Including a token module seems a lot better than including all the tokens to be dropped into a campaign folder, to me.

Foen
July 2nd, 2008, 22:38
As references between modules are fine (but they do introduce the problem of broken references if the target module isn't loaded) then I see no reason why you couldn't do what you suggest.

For my part, I'd rather just keep tokens and NPCs in the same module and edit the .MOD file to make it work (a find-and-replace approach might even be possible).

Stuart

Xorn
July 3rd, 2008, 01:48
How about I do you one even easier than that? My idea worked, but mid-process I took it a step further! I can export a module from a campaign, with tokens linked to personalities, that stay linked when loaded, WITHOUT manually editing the module:

1. Create your adventure, with all the Story, Images/Maps, Personalities, Items, and Tokens you need. Do not link tokens to Personalities yet. (As a matter of fact, for step 1, all you really need to do is make a campaign with the tokens you want.)

2. Export your campaign normally (especially with the file name you want) and be sure to include all the tokens you wish to export. The only thing you HAVE to do is export all the tokens.

3. Close and re-open FG2 and open the module campaign again. Load the module you just created (yes, you're still in the campaign you just exported).

4. You now have all your exported tokens in the first section of the token box (and the tokens in the host bag, but you want these exported ones). Link these tokens to your Personalities. (This will insert references to the tokens in the module instead of in the token directory.)

5. Re-Export your campaign; make sure you use the same filename, and make sure you export your tokens (from the host bag, not the exported ones) again.

6. Load your module in a new campaign that has no tokens at all. When you load the campaign, it loads the stuff you exported, included the tokens, and the Personalities properly reference the module file to find tokens. :)

Now you can distribute a single module file, retaining the token links!

Griogre
July 3rd, 2008, 02:45
Well, well. Very nice tip, Xorn - I'll remember that one. :)

Xorn
July 3rd, 2008, 02:51
Thank you! I'm so happy with this one, I've got my Kobold Hall and Keep on the Shadowfell modules working off a single module file now, this is fantastic!

Got to update my tutorial real fast, then I'll be finished.

Foen
July 3rd, 2008, 05:55
Great work-around to the token bug!

Hail Xorn, token emperor! (sic)

Foen

Oberoten
July 3rd, 2008, 09:07
Not much more to say than to give some backpatting for solving one of the long-time annoyances of FG. Nice work.

- Obe

Bidmaron
September 28th, 2008, 13:33
In case anyone else is scouring through back-stuff looking for gems, this token problem has been fixed in 2.2 and you can now export modules with token links to module tokens intact.

Xorn
September 28th, 2008, 13:46
This is correct, I'm in the process of revising my module-building guides, as well. The basic changes:

When you export your Personalities, any tokens assigned to them will automatically export and remain assigned, unless they were from another module; you don't need to actually drag them to Export Tokens. The only tokens that need to be put there are ones that you didn't link to a personality.