PDA

View Full Version : Made minis today (showing off)

Xorn
June 21st, 2008, 22:51
I redid all my minis/tokens for two of the sets, I think they turned out pretty good. :)

Xorne's D&D minis (https://www.eugee.info/images/xorne.minis.jpg)

Griogre
June 21st, 2008, 23:44
They look good Xorn. I was playing around with few myself the other day. But I was using too small a scale. What scale in pixels are you using for the medium size (ie what is the size of the grid the minis are on)?

Maybe its me but I think it looks better if you have the base on pretty close to the line. IE I don't like the look of the Hook Horror and Vrock "floating in mid-air." I think it looks strange compared to the rest.

Edit: by the way I got some pretty nice goblins out of The Forgotten Tomb of Felgar the Goblin King. It's a free download 4E compatible adventure at rpgnow. I'm not sure on the balance but it seems like a pretty good preview type adventure. https://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=56490

Xorn
June 22nd, 2008, 00:05
I did my original set with 50 pixels for a medium, but I bumped them up to 100 pixels for a medium now (still a 50 pixel/square grid though). Small creatures are 75 pixels, and large are 200.

The issue with the hook horror is that if you have a grid (thus snapping) it snaps to the center of the image, which means the base can be way off. I make the minis all fit in a square of the right size (75, 100, or 200 pixels). So long creatures like the bullet are like 200x138, while the runecarved eidolon is like 112x200. Where they are standing is covered with the "size" shading, anyway, so it works out well in practice.

But if I had a hook horror that was centered, I'd be all over it. :)

Griogre
June 22nd, 2008, 01:30
Ah, got it, you can get the base at the bottom if you make the Hook Horror at the bottom of a 200x200 square. Just fill the rest with transparency but I don't know if it's worth the effort if the colored square seems to make it right.

Dachannien
June 22nd, 2008, 01:34
Very nice! :)

Xorn
June 22nd, 2008, 01:39
Ah, got it, you can get the base at the bottom if you make the Hook Horror at the bottom of a 200x200 square. Just fill the rest with transparency but I don't know if it's worth the effort if the colored square seems to make it right.

Not quite sure I follow. It's currently a transparent PNG. If I resize the Hook Horror to be 200x200 (squishing him a little horizontally) he'll fill the square, but it looks kind of weird so I didn't opt for that. Wait I get it, you mean expand the image to 200 pixels height (with him at the bottom of it). It would actually be pretty simple to do that, but I'll probably skip it--each one of these minis takes me about 30 seconds or less to do.

I tried to come up with a set method really. For "long" creatures I do their width, then as long as the height stays inside the square I leave it alone, otherwise I squish it. For upright creatures I set the height and squish width if needed. The hook horror looks funny because he's upright, but like 50% wider than he is tall.

I agree though, I like the bipedal creatures to touch the top and bottom of the square. I might adjust him.

Griogre
June 22nd, 2008, 04:52
I was doing the same thing, just setting the larger of the width or hight to your scale for that size and shrinking it proportionally. It works most of the time except on the wide ones. For those you can take the picture after you have resized it and just paste it into the bottom of a 200x200 transparent square. Like this:

https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m222/Griogre/RecHH.png
https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m222/Griogre/SquareHH.png

aaelon
June 22nd, 2008, 09:06
any chance you could do a zip of these please? or is the file to big even when zipped? I know how time consuming this is because ive started doing them myself so it would be greatly appreciated:)

Blue Haven
June 22nd, 2008, 11:58
Hey Xorn can you share those wonderful tokens??? great job in there :D

Xorn
June 22nd, 2008, 13:22
I'd be happy to make a little tutorial of how to do this--but I'm pretty sure giving these to other people is a gross violation of copyright, isn't, it? :D I mean I have a pretty stunning (if I do say so myself) module of KotS made, but if I share it, that's a copyright violation. :)

Griogre:
Yeah, I figured out that's what you meant. The reason I don't like it is compared to the other Large creatures, the Hook Horror looks like a runt then. In my opinion, it actually looks better if you turn off the aspect ratio and stretch it out a little, because at least then it looks big, even if the proportions are off a little.

My method has become this (I'm going to make a tutorial in a minute):
1. Copy image from website.
2. Paste as new image.
3. Promote image to raster layer.
4. Use the "select color" tool to delete away all the background white.
5. Select All.
6. Modify selection to include only non-transparent pixels.
7. Copy
8. Paste as new image (trimming away all excess space).
9. Resize image (bipeds set the height to 100 for medium, "long" creatures set the width to 100 for medium, and if the other dimension exceeds 100 for medium, then turn off aspect ration and skew it down to 100).
10. Save image (PNG format)

Takes me 30 seconds per mini, if that. I've put in two more sets now, actually (I've now got Harbinger, Dragon Eye, Archfiends, and Dungeon of Dread put in). :D

EDIT - Tutorial added to Armory

Velocinox
June 23rd, 2008, 01:36
I'd be happy to make a little tutorial of how to do this--but I'm pretty sure giving these to other people is a gross violation of copyright, isn't, it? :D I mean I have a pretty stunning (if I do say so myself) module of KotS made, but if I share it, that's a copyright violation. :)

Griogre:
Yeah, I figured out that's what you meant. The reason I don't like it is compared to the other Large creatures, the Hook Horror looks like a runt then. In my opinion, it actually looks better if you turn off the aspect ratio and stretch it out a little, because at least then it looks big, even if the proportions are off a little.

My method has become this (I'm going to make a tutorial in a minute):
1. Copy image from website.
2. Paste as new image.
3. Promote image to raster layer.
4. Use the "select color" tool to delete away all the background white.
5. Select All.
6. Modify selection to include only non-transparent pixels.
7. Copy
8. Paste as new image (trimming away all excess space).
9. Resize image (bipeds set the height to 100 for medium, "long" creatures set the width to 100 for medium, and if the other dimension exceeds 100 for medium, then turn off aspect ration and skew it down to 100).
10. Save image (PNG format)

Takes me 30 seconds per mini, if that. I've put in two more sets now, actually (I've now got Harbinger, Dragon Eye, Archfiends, and Dungeon of Dread put in). :D

EDIT - Tutorial added to Armory

I've been playing around with this process also.

In step 8, instead of trimming manually, have you tried Layer>Matting>Defringe>[select pixel amount to trim]?

I've also noticed that applying a sharpen filter will clean up some of the blurrier ones.

Finally, on some of the 200+ pixel images I apply a layer style of bevel and emboss. This takes some more time than usual to get the reflections and depth right, but it ends up making them look three dimensional.

Edit: Almost forgot... You can give them a shadow with the Layer style option. Just choose drop shadow.

I am using an old version of Photoshop (v6) so options may be a bit different for your version.

First one is standard, the second one has the layer styles applied.
https://img177.imageshack.us/img177/103/pswizzc0.png

Xorn
June 25th, 2008, 03:38
My Minis Directory (https://www.eugee.info/images/minis.jpg)

928 minis, I'm finished. :) (The 929th file is the thumbnail file generated by windows.) There's six more columns than what's showing.

Blue Haven
June 25th, 2008, 10:48
I´m working on Warhammer Minis :) but its more dificult and i setup almost every mini to 200px but i´m going fine...i guess lol

Bidmaron
August 3rd, 2008, 04:14
Okay, so if someone else wants to duplicate the process, what is a good source to find the jpg/png's of the different WotC sets?
--Dale--

Velocinox
August 3rd, 2008, 20:39
https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mix/gallery

Enjoy

Bidmaron
August 3rd, 2008, 23:17
Thanks! I'll be trying to do it in PSP, as I don't own Photoshop.

Xorn
August 4th, 2008, 04:15
PSP is the program I used. :)

Griogre
August 4th, 2008, 08:20
Yeah, I did mine in Paint.NET - you don't need photoshop. You just need something that can deal with transparency and select the background color so you can get rid of it.

Velocinox
August 8th, 2008, 05:07
Paint.net has plug ins that allow you to do the drop shadow and contours like I did in Photoshop.

I've actually changed the method and I take a B+W image of the mini set the intensity to about 10 or 20 (very low) depending on how dark the image is in B+W and then use it as a pattern for the contour and embossing. This really accentuates the 3D effect and Paint.net has all the plug ins to let you replicate what I am doing in Photoshop.

Good luck!

Bidmaron
August 8th, 2008, 15:12
Can you load an example of your new technique? Also, just a little elaboration on how you mask and emboss.
--Dale--

demonsbane
October 8th, 2008, 20:03
Nice minis, Xorn. I like them.

storminj
October 17th, 2008, 15:20
I am having problems with making the tokens using paint.net. I do not know how to promote the layer. After using the magic wand and saving the DM can not resize the token to fit battle grid.

Griogre
October 17th, 2008, 19:30
There is not really any reason to use layers for these tokens in Paint.NET. Here's what I do:

1) Copy the pic in. Use Cntr Alt V (Paste into new image)
2) Select Magic Wand Tool. The tolerance defaults to 50% (middle of the second tool bar at the top). Change it to like 20% by dragging it to the left.
3) Click on the white background of the image to select the background.
4) If there are other background areas hold down Ctrl and click on them too until you have all the background selected.
5) Press the delete key to delete the background. You should see a checkerboard pattern where the background was - this is Paint.NETs pattern for transparency.
6) Press Ctrl R (Image Menu -> Resize).
7) Make sure Maintain Aspect ratio is checked and look at the Pixel sizes for height and width. Whichever value is larger is the one you want to change. If you you are using 50 pixel squares for medium and it is a medium figure then change the larger number to 50. If the figure is large then change the figure to 100, ect. Press OK. What ever your values are you want to be consistant.
8) You might want to sharpen the figure. If so then pull down the Effects Menu -> Photo -> Sharpen. Leave 2 as the default value. Hit OK. Then Hit Ctrl E to redo the last sharpen so you shapen it twice.
9) Sharpen usually helps but not always (that's why we did it twice at a low value). Now take advantage of Pain.NET's nice redo, undo list. Undo once and see what it looks like, do it again to see the other. Then redo up to twice to get the best looking one.
10) When happy Cntrl S (File -> Save). Note Paint.NET saves over without warning (it would be too annoying if it didn't) so make sure you have the right file name. When saving a token make sure the Bit Dept is on Auto-Detect.

I'll actually use a few more steps sometimes; I usually crop a pic before I move it into Paint.NET. You can crop inside of Paint.NET too.

EugeneZ
October 17th, 2008, 23:29
I just want to add the cropping steps in because I feel they are very important:

5.1) Use the wand tool again, click on any transparency on the outside of the figure (like for example, don't click in the area between legs, etc)
5.2) Hit Ctrl+I to invert the selection.
5.3) His Ctrl+Shift+X to crop the image to the selection, making sure your image has no dead space.

However, I hate the base (thing on the bottom) that the figures are on, so I like to crop that off too...

5.2.1) Switch to the Rectangle Select tool.
5.2.2) Holding Alt (subtract), carefully select only the base, the part you want to crop.

Then when you hit Ctrl+Shift+X above, it will also remove the base.

I have some other tricks, too... like using the original art out of the monster manual and cropping THAT down... or using an outline filter to make give the figurines a nice defined outline... or using the Hue/Saturation controls to make one figure apply to several similar monsters.... if you want more details on any of that just ask and I'll post.

Captcorajus
January 20th, 2009, 01:09
I've scanned some old modules and copied the text into fantasy grounds. Cool. I've also made some minis using the method described by Xorn.

Of course, I wasn't satisfied with the giant spider scan, and there wasn't one for a giant crab or octopus, which i needed for the adventure. What do you think?

Then, of course there's the lovely lady that I have as a graphic to show the players, and then made a mini out of her too.

Finally, I used my "World Works" collection to make some "placable objects" that I could move and manipulate on the map such as treasure chests, a deep well, wizard's desk, a torture rack, etc.

https://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=76864414&albumID=796856&imageID=40290998

Xorn
January 20th, 2009, 13:32
Very nice! Now that FG2 lets you click through transparent portions of a mini, I think a lot of my minis would get redone now. Heck, I need to add the last mini set, actually--but Tuesday night is the only night I'm not playing WotLK or watching SG1 from start to end. (I'm nearing the end of season 3.)

Kilsek
January 23rd, 2009, 16:27
nice work wish I could use graphics programs like that.

Be nice if the program came with these minis already.

Blue Haven
January 29th, 2009, 19:07
https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mix/gallery

Enjoy

Don´t you think that the first sets of miniatures are too small?? when i copy/paste the image from the site is almost set to instant dwarf lol did they changed the pictures or they are the same...?
Thanks

unerwünscht
January 29th, 2009, 19:58
Don´t you think that the first sets of miniatures are too small?? when i copy/paste the image from the site is almost set to instant dwarf lol did they changed the pictures or they are the same...?
Thanks

You don't want to use those images any ways. I made that mistake as well originally. WoTC owns the copyright on those images and you can not change or modify them, by law. So you are basically wasting time making minis from those images.

The work around to this (in US law) is that you can take a new picture of said miniature, and wizards does not own the copyright to your new image. You are free to do whatever you want with it. You just have to find someone who has all the minis so you can take pictures of them (I am still looking for someone who has them).

ozziewolf
January 29th, 2009, 21:39
He's allowed to use them for personal use. He just can't distribute them to any one else or try to make a profit from them.
It's why Xorn can tell people how to make them the way he did but he can't share any of the tokens he made himself.

unerwünscht
January 29th, 2009, 22:53
Yes, however if he were to take photos of the miniatures himself, and make tokens from the pictures that he has taken, he could then distribute them however he wanted. because he would own the copyright to the image.

You have a total of 15 posts on this forum, are sure picking out my threads, and trying to pick me apart is a good idea? Ask around a little, you will find I am not afraid to tell people exactly what I think about them

Xorn
January 29th, 2009, 22:59
That's a good point--I hadn't ever considered taking a picture of them, then modifying that. LOL! I'm pretty good friends with my FLGS owner, taking pictures of all the minis is actually a very realistic option for me!

Granted, I'm more of a "teach a man how to fish" kind of guy. I'd rather show someone how I do it, rather than do it for them. That's a very good point you make, though.

ozziewolf
January 29th, 2009, 23:44
Yes, however if he were to take photos of the miniatures himself, and make tokens from the pictures that he has taken, he could then distribute them however he wanted. because he would own the copyright to the image.

You have a total of 15 posts on this forum, are sure picking out my threads, and trying to pick me apart is a good idea? Ask around a little, you will find I am not afraid to tell people exactly what I think about them

I've responded to two of your posts in threads that I've posted in before you ever did and this one Xorn is my DM so I take a special interest in any posts he makes since I know him personally. (We've been friends for 8 years now.)
You really need to get over yourself. I'm sorry my forum browsing habits don't revolve around you and the quantity of posts mean nothing otherwise you would be a Sage. Perhaps if you put more effort into the quality of your posts. *thumbs up*

He could distribute them himself yes. However he wasn't asking about that and you said he couldn't do it because of copyright law. I was simply correcting your misinformation.

unerwünscht
January 30th, 2009, 03:10
And here you go trolling me yet again!

EugeneZ
January 30th, 2009, 05:28
Hey man, take a chill pill. You don't take criticism well, huh? Oops, maybe I should shut up before you ressurect a couple of dead threads I posted in. Ozzie, just use the report button, that's what it's there for. What he's doing is called harassement.

unerwünscht
January 30th, 2009, 05:35
What Ozzie is doing is called "harassment" as well but you dont see me reporting him do you? If you would like to start a flame war with me, please do it in PM's. nuf said.

Xorn
January 30th, 2009, 05:38
Disclaimer: I don't know everything, this is only advice that follows.

Just don't respond to him, in any way, when he's like this. I was unable to warn ozziewolf about this before he "aggroed" our resident angry Knight. I've charged this hill before, and in my own opinion, it's not worth it. Anyone's time is probably better spent organizing their cabling behind their computer, or perhaps going through all those browser bookmarks you've been meaning to organize.

unerwünscht
January 30th, 2009, 05:41
Again, If you would like to start a flame war with me, please do it in PM's. nuf said.