PDA

View Full Version : New to FG. Need Help.

ptr_lapp
June 18th, 2008, 08:18
My friend is moving away so I bought FG2 so that he could stay in my D&D game at home. However, I am one of the least tech savvy individuals on the planet. I have a few questions...

- How does my friend access my game?
- How can I add new tokens and maps and things?
- How can I adjust the size of tokens?
- I've tried drawing some maps but I can only find the "free hand" drawing freature. Is there a "strait line" or "circle" drawing feature?
- How do I thicken the line when drawing maps?

Griogre
June 18th, 2008, 08:39
Your friend will have to get a copy of FG and log into your game. To host you are going to have to configure you router to accept connections on port 1802 and then you are going to need to tell it to forward any connection requests it gets on port 1802 to your computer on your local LAN. If you have a friend who knows how to do this you might want to have him do this. If your router came from your ISP you can also talk to their tech support and see if they will walk you through this.

Adding maps, images and tokens is as easy as dropping them into the correct folder in FG's data apps. You can find this folder by pressing start, all programs, Fantasy Grounds II, and selecting Application data folder. This will pop up a window that shows a list of folders.

Tokens go in the tokens\host folder or the tokens\shared folder. Put most tokens in the host folder and you almost certainly are going to want to add more folders to organize the tokens in the folder if you have a lot of tokens. For example in my Tokens\Host folder I have Generic Monster, Monster, NPCs. And in my Monster folder I have A-B, C-D, E-F, ect.

To add maps or images, double click on the campaigns folder and then double click on the folder that is the name of the campaign you are running. Inside this campaign folder you will see an images folder this is where you put your maps and any other images. Maps are treated just like any other image.

You should be consistant in your token size. It doesn't really matter what size you make your tokens except you should make sure all medium sized tokens are the same size. The fourth page of this thread has more information on token sizes: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5887&page=4

The build in pen tool is pretty primative and does not have those features though both the staight line and control over the with of the pen have been asked for.