PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Grounds II and PDFs

Tarostar
June 18th, 2008, 00:23
Hi guys, anyone know if it's possible to share PDFs through FG? I had thought you could place PDFs in the library, but now that I've looked at it I can't see any way to do so.

Of course I can simply send a copy of the PDFs to the players but I think it's much better and a more immersive experience if the PDFs can be invoked (read: opened) from inside FG.

Any ideas?

sirosis34
June 18th, 2008, 00:30
I've had the pdf open, copy lines of text from the pdf and paste them in the story box in FG2 to carry over modules. pretty simple.

Foen
June 18th, 2008, 05:54
I don't think FG expects to share PDFs (even images are sent as uncompressed .bmp files across the internet). There might be a way to package them in a player-side module, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Stuart

Tarostar
June 18th, 2008, 11:52
I've come across one annoying problem when copying text from a pdf directly into the chat. If I copy multiple lines the line breaks are ignored, which means that I get stuff like "You enter a dark cave when youhear a sound...". Readable, but not very nice. Anyone know how to get around this (and please don't say copy one line at a time or pre edit the text...).

Seeing as PDFs are being published for pretty much all new and old systems (including my own) it would be nice if FG could add functionality to place PDFs in the library to make it available to the players. FG wouldn't actually have to handle PDFs, it could just invoke the default installed PDF reader, same as double-clicking a PDF file does. Transfer would have to be efficient though as PDFs can easily be a few MBs. For now though I'll just have to send the players PDF copies of my rules separately.

Tarostar
June 18th, 2008, 23:34
I've been reading about and playing with modules and am wondering if I can get my rules converted into xml. I've written all my rules in open office, so there must be some sort of xml generator out there for odt or doc files (perhaps even in open office), but my googling has been fruitless so far, just too much information on xml out there... Anyone here who knows how to do this?

Thanks!

PS! Doing a demo of FGII tomorrow, wish me luck.

Griogre
June 19th, 2008, 04:08
Good luck on the demo. :)

On the the translation of your rules, xml is totally freeform unlike HTTP. The problem you would have is FG's xml is use to hold data for the FG exe and the exe reads in the xml data expecting the "tags" and attributes to match what the programs expects. You might be able to set up something to translate your rules into the correct format but unless you plan on doing this several times it would probably just be easier to directly input your rules directly. It would also depend on what type of rule data you want to enter and just how much.