PDA

View Full Version : New to this, need some help

willquestion
June 12th, 2008, 21:17
Hey guys,
I just bought the full version and I'm trying to put together the adventure "Barrow of the Forgotten King" for a group of friends. I'm completely new to this program and the majority of what I'm having problems deal with "personalities". I'm making a personality for everything they are going to fight and I want to have a token that looks like what they are fighting. For example a zombie...so I fill out the personality info and do I use lettered tokens? Can I make some tokens some how to look like zombies and put number in the picture so there is no confusion? Also, are the personalities purely for reference or do they affect actual combat?
Slightly confused haha,
Will

sirosis34
June 12th, 2008, 21:32
I'm new to this too but I found some zombie tokens at https://www.fouruglymonsters.com/index.php?option=com_docman&Itemid=66
I've used the personalities as reference and also when that character speaks in the chat box. There's a speach bubble in the right top hand corner of the personalitie box.

Master
June 12th, 2008, 21:38
You can create your own tokens or you can download other from various sites. If you want to use monster tokens you might try fouruglymonsters.com (I think that is how you spell it.) They have a large selection of monster tokens. If you want a variety of generic tokens you can try my generic token pack.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8102&highlight=generic+token

The tokens do not affect game play. They just represent the monsters movement and location on the map. You can link a token to a monster personality via the combat tracker. For more information on that check out the library.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/library/

willquestion
June 12th, 2008, 22:02
Thanks for heads up on Four Ugly Monsters. I'll probably end up making my own tokens just because I'm a perfectionist.

I'm actually still trying to understand the combat tracker. Do I need to fill out each slot in it or can it automaticly be filled out by a personality? Also, how do I link a token to it?

~Will

Foen
June 12th, 2008, 22:08
Typically you might use Personalities (and monsters from d20 Monsters) as a 'Monster Manual' which describe the different sort of opponents.

When you drag a Personality or monster to the Combat Tracker, you create a new copy which you can use for the duration of the combat. So you could have an Orc 2nd Level Monk in your Personalities, and drag three copies to the Combat Tracker (Arosh, Brumsh and Cromm) to represent three different 2nd Level Orc Monks, any/all of whom might die in the combat.

Folks also use Personalities for named NPCs, in which case it is up to the GM to keep track of whether any given combat kills the NPC and hence they should not be in subsequent encounters.

If I've missed the point, please shout.

Stuart

willquestion
June 12th, 2008, 22:14
Oh cool. I understand this better now.
About the combat tracker. I have a warg in there and to the right of the "wounds" number (which I don't know what that is) is grid looking icon what does that and the one to the right of that (the circle one) stand for? Is that movement and then reach? If so, is that in ft or squares?

Foen
June 12th, 2008, 22:35
The icons are space and reach - one is how much physical space the warg takes on the tactical map and the other is how far the warg can reach to attach. Both are in feet, with 5'=1 square (I believe).

Wounds are used to track hp lost. If there was only a hp number which started at 8hp (say) and went down to 4hp from a hit, the GM might lose track of how far it could recover (was it 8hp, or 9hp?). Wounds can go from zero to the hp number (or hp+10, before you die), but can only be healed back down to zero. That way the GM doesn't lose track.

Stuart

willquestion
June 12th, 2008, 22:54
So if he takes up one five foot square like a regular character, do I put 1 or 5 in for space?

Foen
June 12th, 2008, 23:08
5' as the measure is in feet, which I think is the default.