PDA

View Full Version : Players scrolling large maps

Tarostar
June 12th, 2008, 12:06
Hello,

I noticed as a player that I was unable to keep a picture/map scrolled to a different position than the GM. It was a large map and only part of it was visible at any one time, when I wanted to look at a different part than what the GM was looking at I could scroll it there but as soon as I released the button it jumped back to the default GM position. Is there any way around this?

Thanks

PS! Awesome software, I really love FGII!

mr_h
June 12th, 2008, 13:59
I'm not sure if it's possible. The idea I guess is to let the GM keep people focused on the location that action is occurring or the scene is going on.

If there is another way, I'd love to see it:)

Griogre
June 12th, 2008, 16:40
The software is designed to keep the map focused where the DM has set the view and assumes the client view is always the DM set one.

There is a bug that allows players to actually "lock" the map view to a different area. However it *is* a bug and if a player does this and the DM moves the map no bounds checking is done so if the relative move by the DM is off the edge of the map for the locked down client, he will crash.

On large maps it is better just to ask the DM to zoom out so you can see more of the map.

Tarostar
June 15th, 2008, 16:23
Thanks for the answers. It's not a big deal, I guess I'm just a bit of a control freak and as programmer and daily computer user I like to have full control of my interfaces. Guess I need to just relax, sit back and enjoy the show. :)

Besides, I'm mostly the GM anyway :D

Sigurd
June 15th, 2008, 16:45
I think you have your answer. Map strategy is a careful thing for DMs. Sometimes a big map needs to be broken up into smaller ones for ease of use. At the same time, you don't want to have all you action happen on an edge either.

I think it would be a useful thing if the DM kept his lock on point of focus but the players were allowed to zoom in or out as they pleased. That would let players work with smaller\larger screens.

Sigurd

Griogre
June 15th, 2008, 17:41
I like this idea. One of the issues with maps and map size is while the DM is controlling what the map is centered on and how big of a map is shown he has no control on the resolution the clients’ monitors are in which probably has one of the biggest impact on what would be the optimal size in pixels to show of a map.

Moon Wizard
June 16th, 2008, 23:52
This is a big deal for my group, since I run on a 30" monitor. I have to scale the map up, so that I can see the map detail good enough. However, it ends up filling almost the entire client screen.

JPG