PDA

View Full Version : FGII Demo Session

Valarian
June 4th, 2008, 13:19
I find I've got a gap between adventures in my Sunday sessions, so I thought I'd run a demo session for anyone who wants to have a look at Fantasy Grounds II or familiarise themselves with it.

The session will be on Sunday June 8th 2008 at 8pm UK time (https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?day=8&month=6&year=2008&hour=20&min=0&sec=0&p1=136).
Click on the time above to find out what this is for your time zone.

The demo version of FGII can be downloaded from the Fantasy Grounds website.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/downloads/

I'm presuming that the FGII does not have the alias capability (the original demo didn't). I'll post an IP address to connect to in this thread on Sunday evening.

balth
June 4th, 2008, 20:07
I'm there.

Cheers!

stupidhaiku
June 7th, 2008, 17:21
I'll try this, though I'm new to both tabletop and FG. Some of us are trying to get a D&D group going so it would be nice to familiarize myself with the program.

Valarian
June 7th, 2008, 19:00
That's what a demo's for after all. That's the two slots filled.
I'll be going through the basics of the interface, use of the map and the chat window. I did a couple of demo sessions for iCon08 using the older version of the demo. I'll use the same format for this one.

stupidhaiku
June 8th, 2008, 23:14
Many thanks to Valarian for taking the time to show me the ropes, and for being very patient through all my noob questions :)

sirosis34
June 8th, 2008, 23:15
Will this kind of demo be done again?

Valarian
June 9th, 2008, 08:47
If I get another free week in the Sunday Night Gaming schedule I'll run another demo/tutorial session. Alternatively, if the demand is there, I can run a session of some Friday nights (this week is available). However, it's unlikely to suit the US or Canada time zones as the time slot is in the afternoon over there.

We did have a few problems with the session management in the new FGII demo. The player locked up on a couple of occasions, he was able to type chat text but nothing was coming through or showing up in the chat window. When he disconnected, the session was also left running, so there was one player and two characters showing up.

I've not experienced this type of problem when running the full version, so the problem does seem to be particular to the demo. This isn't good as the demo is supposed to entice people in and people trying it may think that this type of problem is common. The dangers of having a separate demo version, rather than a limited license on the commercial version. Two code streams to maintain and debug.